Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Supreme Court will tackle same-sex marriage

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:03 PM
  • 25 Replies

Supreme Court will tackle same-sex marriage

The Supreme Court is going to tackle the contentious issue of same-sex marriage and hear two constitutional challenges to state and federal laws dealing with the recognition of gay and lesbian couples to legally wed, our Supreme Court producer Bill Mears reports.

CNN's senior legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin put the case in perspective: "This is a major event in American history, not just in Supreme Court history. The Supreme Court is not just going to decide whether the Defense of Marriage Act is constitutional, they are also going to decide whether Proposition 8 in California whether the ban on same-sex marriage there is unconstitutional and that could affect all 50 states."

The court put out a one-page order this afternoon on what is set to become one of the most important cases in the court's history.

Last month, voters in three states approved same-sex marriages. And just yesterday one of those states, Washington, started issuing licenses to same-sex couples.

Oral arguments in the high court appeal will likely be held in March, with a ruling by late June.

The appeals to be heard involve the federal Defense of Marriage Act or DOMA, which denies federal benefits to same-sex couples legally married in their own state, and a challenge to California's Proposition 8, a voter-approved referendum that took away the right of same sex-marriage that previously had been approved by the state's courts. Read more about these cases.

Same-sex couple sues federal government in DOMA case

Catholic Notre Dame announces services for gay students

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nuclear_sugar
by Jaye on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:20 PM
7 moms liked this
Can't wait for this ball to get rolling....I will be dancing in the streets when all the dumbasses in my state (NC) are told that their ban on SSM is unconstitutional and must be overturned. What an exciting time in our history!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:39 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm looking forward to it as well. I look forward to attending the wedding of a couple who I've gone to church with my entire life...Char & Gloria, who have been together for about 30 years.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:29 PM

It's about time.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I am glad to see they have taken this.  I think they will kick it back to the states.  The govt has no Constitutional authoritiy over marriage...any marriage.

I don't see why they don't just remove the govt from marriage altogether.  The problem could be fairly neatly solved this way.

Themis_Defleo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Perhaps you've not heard of Loving v. Virginia?

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I am glad to see they have taken this.  I think they will kick it back to the states.  The govt has no Constitutional authoritiy over marriage...any marriage.

I don't see why they don't just remove the govt from marriage altogether.  The problem could be fairly neatly solved this way.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Here we go!

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:32 AM

I am so glad to hear it.  It's about dang time.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Pursuit of happiness should not be up for vote-
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:42 AM
:)
AdellesMom
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:42 AM
It's about time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured