Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Anderson Cooper Calls Out Flip-Flopping Republicans: 'Why The Fudging Of Facts?'

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:46 PM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

The Huffington Post | By Posted: | Updated: 12/07/2012 9:18 am EST

Anderson Cooper devoted his signature "Keeping Them Honest" segment Thursday night to what he called a "baffling case of flip-flopping" by some Republican senators.

On Tuesday, the Senate rejected a U.N. treaty signed by 125 other countries aimed at protect the rights of disabled people around the world. The treaty was five votes short of ratification. A wheel chair-bound Sen. Bob Dole returned to the Senate chamber ahead of the vote, thinking his presence would help in ratifying the treaty.

Cooper said that some Republicans, including Sen. Roy Bunt, Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, and Sen. Jerry Moran were public supporters before ultimately blocking the treaty. The CNN host wondered why some Republican senators would flip-flop suddenly on a U.N. treaty he said was modeled after the Americans for Disabilities Act.

"They used arguments that just frankly didn't square with the facts—they weren't true," Cooper said. He added that Sen. Rick Santorum, who led the charge against the treaty, repeatedly said the document would give the U.N. "oversight of the healthcare and education choices parents with special needs kids make."

Sen. John Kerry told Cooper that the treaty had "absolutely zero ability ... no legal capacity to tell the U.S. to do anything."

"So why the fudging of facts?" Cooper wondered, referring to Santorum. The CNN host said that Santorum and the other flip-flopping Republicans he invited on the show declined to appear. "We can only guess their motivations, and frankly, some of this is just so baffling that we'd be taking wild guesses, and we just don't want to do that," he said.

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Morons.

lga1965
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

There are a bunch of conservatives who subscribe to the philosophies of the John Birch Society that organized in the 1950's....they are against the UN and they created all kinds of rumors about the UN. I am guessing those who are against this Disabilities Treaty are only against it because of their irrational fears and dislike of the UN. They're living in the past---the old days of Commie Hunters and anti-UN paranoid haters.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Agree. The treaty was modeled after the "Americans for Disabilities Act". It states the disabled people can NOT be discriminate against. It doesn't dictate what american parents with disabled kids should do or shouldn't etc...The hate for UN is just ridiculous!

Quoting lga1965:

There are a bunch of conservatives who subscribe to the philosophies of the John Birch Society that organized in the 1950's....they are against the UN and they created all kinds of rumors about the UN. I am guessing those who are against this Disabilities Act are only against it because of their irrational fears and dislike of the UN. They're living in the past---the old days of Commie Hunters and anti-UN paranoid haters.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:10 PM

With 38 Republicans casting "no" votes, the 61-38 vote fell five short of the two-thirds majority needed to ratify a treaty. Opponents were not swayed by support for the treaty from some of the GOP's prominent veterans, including the 89-year-old Dole, who was disabled during World War II; Sen. John McCain, who also suffered disabling injuries in Vietnam; Sen. Dick Lugar, the top Republican on the Foreign Relations Committee; and former Attorney General Dick Thornburgh. Eight Republicans voted to approve the treaty.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/04/disability-treaty_n_2238181.html

Only eight ...Sad.

Quoting lga1965:

There are a bunch of conservatives who subscribe to the philosophies of the John Birch Society that organized in the 1950's....they are against the UN and they created all kinds of rumors about the UN. I am guessing those who are against this Disabilities Treaty are only against it because of their irrational fears and dislike of the UN. They're living in the past---the old days of Commie Hunters and anti-UN paranoid haters.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:58 PM
2 moms liked this
I wish it were worth hoping that this ridiculous and mean spirited vote would be enough to destroy the credibility of these senators in their homestates. Unfortunately their constituents are likely eating up the ol "must undermine the UN at all turns or we forfeit our constitution" shtick because of their willful ignorance.

How do people really expect this stuff to have any bearing on US domestic policy? It's in the constitution that the federal government is our highest sovereign and nothing can supercede it. Then people come back with something like "well, that will be the treaty obama follows when he becomes a dictator and forces us under UN control." or something similarly breathless and paranoid. Then I say if obama decides to throw away the constitution, the fact we signed an arms treaty is really a non issue and the least of our problems. He wouldn't need a UN treaty to take the guns if he decided to shred the constitution, that's the whole point of being a dictator. They usually either don't respond or mumble something about at least not making it any easier for him. Yeah huh. problems
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you read the treaty? I haven't. I don't take any thing said by any politician at face value ~ and considering the general angst against John McCain as a candidate, 'using' his disability now to further your argument makes you as two faced as the article claims the republicans are.

That being said, you need to read Missouri vs. Holland (all of the data and all of the implications).

Lastly, since this treaty was modeled after the US Disabilities Act, why on earth does it matter whether 'we' sign it or not? I know why, but I'm curious about whether anyone else has thought this through.

The countries that have already signed this treaty wil be bound by it. The US has their own.

There is one thing the US (theoretically) has that many of those other countries don't.

The U.N. consistently acts against the best interests of the US and it's citizens ~ but the organization has never considered asking us to drop our membership.

The reason for that ~ and the reason it is so important to the U.N. and some of the more vocal anti-US/ pro 'World' kumbaya is the same. It begins with the letter 'M'. The US already contributes more of it than every other country to the U.N. Without our contribution, the U.N. would likely be insolvent within a few weeks of our withdrawal.

As I said, I haven't read this treaty, but I already know how comprehensive our own Disabilities Act is. I see no valid reason to supercede what we already have (and had long before the U.N. decided to pretend it cares about disabled people).

We have people, US citizens, going hungry, going without medical care, living on the streets ... ask yourself why there is any valid reason to not apply our 'M' to our own country and our own people, particularly since we were the 'model' used to apply to the rest of the world?

Quoting AdrianneHill:

I wish it were worth hoping that this ridiculous and mean spirited vote would be enough to destroy the credibility of these senators in their homestates. Unfortunately their constituents are likely eating up the ol "must undermine the UN at all turns or we forfeit our constitution" shtick because of their willful ignorance.

How do people really expect this stuff to have any bearing on US domestic policy? It's in the constitution that the federal government is our highest sovereign and nothing can supercede it. Then people come back with something like "well, that will be the treaty obama follows when he becomes a dictator and forces us under UN control." or something similarly breathless and paranoid. Then I say if obama decides to throw away the constitution, the fact we signed an arms treaty is really a non issue and the least of our problems. He wouldn't need a UN treaty to take the guns if he decided to shred the constitution, that's the whole point of being a dictator. They usually either don't respond or mumble something about at least not making it any easier for him. Yeah huh. problems

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:55 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting Farmlady09:

how has the UN worked against the US and it citizens? I am honestly curious! I have never seen so many UN haters like here on CM but nobody ever says why they dislike it.
lga1965
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Quoting Healthystart30:

Quoting Farmlady09:

how has the UN worked against the US and it citizens? I am honestly curious! I have never seen so many UN haters like here on CM but nobody ever says why they dislike it.

Good question. I agree .....its crazy how many automatically hate the UN but can't explain why. I think its due to the old 60 year old JBS and the Communist hunters....they just can't seem to  get over  "the fear".

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:48 PM
Because it won't be, can't be, and couldn't ever be capable of superceding any American law. We will always always have sovereignty over what the UN wants in the United States (guess why, it's that M word again) and if you don't believe that, you've been swallowing too much sensationalist, New World Order stuff.
The reason we should have signed it is because it was based on our bill. It will be hard to convince other countries to agree to come up to our standards if we refuse to even affirm our decision to grant equality to disabled people on the world stage. It looks like we think the act we have in America was a bad idea and we not only don't think it is worth spreading around but we thar might be considering undoing some of it. How would other people be expected to have faith in our actions when we don't have faith in our actions?
It's like saying "Yes, disabilities act is a great thing and totally support but we have to vote against signing a treaty that just shows we stand by that decision because some foreign guy might come to my state and force me to build extra ramps for the handicapped. Oh sure, the UN absolutely doesn't have that kinda power but we get reelected by insisting they do have that power and we should all be afraid."

What's the UN gonna do to us? Cut our funding? Send in ground troops to enforce it? Nope, they need permission to come in to any country, even the war zones, but don't let facts soothe your fears or you'd have to worry about something that wasn't a ridiculous isolationist fantasy.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Have you read the treaty? I haven't. I don't take any thing said by any politician at face value ~ and considering the general angst against John McCain as a candidate, 'using' his disability now to further your argument makes you as two faced as the article claims the republicans are.

That being said, you need to read Missouri vs. Holland (all of the data and all of the implications).

Lastly, since this treaty was modeled after the US Disabilities Act, why on earth does it matter whether 'we' sign it or not? I know why, but I'm curious about whether anyone else has thought this through.

The countries that have already signed this treaty wil be bound by it. The US has their own.

There is one thing the US (theoretically) has that many of those other countries don't.

The U.N. consistently acts against the best interests of the US and it's citizens ~ but the organization has never considered asking us to drop our membership.

The reason for that ~ and the reason it is so important to the U.N. and some of the more vocal anti-US/ pro 'World' kumbaya is the same. It begins with the letter 'M'. The US already contributes more of it than every other country to the U.N. Without our contribution, the U.N. would likely be insolvent within a few weeks of our withdrawal.

As I said, I haven't read this treaty, but I already know how comprehensive our own Disabilities Act is. I see no valid reason to supercede what we already have (and had long before the U.N. decided to pretend it cares about disabled people).

We have people, US citizens, going hungry, going without medical care, living on the streets ... ask yourself why there is any valid reason to not apply our 'M' to our own country and our own people, particularly since we were the 'model' used to apply to the rest of the world?

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN