Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A question sort of involving race....

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:11 AM
  • 32 Replies
Does anyone know what it's called when a public speaker or a minister begins to speak in rhyme when they get really passionate about what they're talking about (usually in the Black community). A professor/ minister once told me there was an official term for it and now it's driving me crazy that I can't remember it...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bella_Madre
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:15 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiffyhamm
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:19 AM

are you talking about 'whooping'?  when i used to go to church, our pastors whooped a lot.  some like it, some don't....it involves call and response type preaching as well.

Bella_Madre
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:36 AM
That might be it! It sounds right.
Is that where the preacher might ask for an "a-men" or something like that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiffyhamm
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bella_Madre:

yeah, some simply call that "call and response", but whooping involves a lot of call and response in addition to a lot of chanting, melodies, yelling, clapping, etc...it usually happens at the closing of a sermon or it leads into a song. 

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never heard that term before. That's my something new for the day. I love the cadence.

Quoting tiffyhamm:

Quoting Bella_Madre:

yeah, some simply call that "call and response", but whooping involves a lot of call and response in addition to a lot of chanting, melodies, yelling, clapping, etc...it usually happens at the closing of a sermon or it leads into a song. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:40 PM
What about talking in tongues?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:59 PM

BUMP!

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I don't know that only black ministers or public speakers do that or that all of them do it.  I think it's merely an individual choice or speaking style.  I never heard a minister do that the few times I went to church as a child.

I was in church when Jesse Jackson was there as a guest speaker saying things like, "You have to believe it before you can achieve it.".  I think of him as the most famous at doing that and it seems to me that way of delivering a message should have a name but I haven't the slightest idea what it would be.

So under what circumstances did you find yourself having that discussion with a black minister?

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Call and response was called "signifying" where I come from.

I looked up signifying online and as usual, the white person defining it got it all wrong and wrote that signifying is a synonym to the "dozens" which is to playfully and sometimes not so playfully deride someone. 

It has never been my experience that signifying is a negative thing but a confirmation of or agreement with something being asserted by someone else.

I might sound as if I'm explaining to you but I'm explaining to anyone reading this who doesn't know.

Quoting tiffyhamm:

Quoting Bella_Madre:

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this

BTW:  A professional minister as opposed to what, an UNprofessional minister?  A NON-professional minister?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)