Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How do i explain this to my 6 year old?

Posted by   + Show Post

Today my life took a turn for the weird...

We've got two female dogs. Tuesday & Pearl. Tuesday is actually a hermaphrodite which we've know since she was a puppy. She presents as female...she doesn't have balls or anything, her lady parts are just a little bigger than most dogs. People usually just think she's in heat when they see her.

Well, they both just went through heat cycles. Turns out...Pearl is pregnant.

Yeah...she hasn't been around any other dogs, we have a privacy fence but we stayed in the yard with her every time she went out because we were afraid she would try and escape to find a boyfriend. That only leaves one suspect.

So my "female" dog impregnated my other dog. How do we explain this to my 6yo?

by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:13 PM
Replies (31-40):
sheramom4
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I would be as age appropriately honest as possible. Or just Tuesday's a boy! LOL, laughing over here.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Does she know how dogs get pregnant in the first place?  If so, I would explain in simple terms that because of a difference in the way the dog was formed you made a mistake and thought it was a girl dog when it was actually a boy dog.  If she doesn't know how pregnancy occurs in the first place I wouldn't kick off with a hermaphrodite, lol.

ETA: OK I see that she knows the basics.  Yeah I would just say that because of the unusual appearance, you made a mistake and thought he was a girl, and you were wrong.  

For those talking about "let a kid be a kid" it's not unusual for kids to be asking questions.  Both my kids know how it works, and I wiggled out of questions for a good year before I finally explained.  (Reaction from then 6 year old:  Ugh, gross, really?!"  Reaction from 4 year old: to ask every person she sees if they know how babies get in a mommas tummy, so she can inform them of her knowledge.  lol)

momof2ex1
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Promise you'll come back and tell us what they say!!!

Quoting UpSheRises:

No, we'll wait until Monday. We just realized it today.

Quoting momof2ex1:

Apparently the vet was wrong lol have you called your vet yet??? Lol

Quoting UpSheRises:

Kind of... She has a regular looking dog labia with what looks like a GIANT clitoris sticking out of it...which we now suspect is actually a penis. (The vet refers to is as "the obstruction"). We didn't know if she had testies or ovaries on the inside but the vet said it didn't really matter since they probably wouldn't be functional.

Quoting LoganTroyMom:

does tuesday have a penis?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Get your dogs fixed so there's not more accidents. 

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Yep! That's fucking weird!

Girrrrrrrrrrrrrrl, I dunno!

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

bwahahahaha....

Sorry, I don't know..the truth?

Apparently, teaching your kids where babies come from is bad though o.O

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Tell her they got gay married and went to a stud bank ;)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jers.
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Some of the best advice my kids' doc told me:

Tell them the truth, but don't say more than they are asking for.  When my almost three-year old asked how his brother got in my tummy, he wasn't asking for a lecture on my uterus, eggs and sperm.

If you are religious, you can do always use the old standby "It's a freakin' miracle"

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Pearls Pregnant!!!  we are going to have PUPPIES!!!

Tuesday must be a boy doggie.....end.

I really dont see the need to explain hermaphradites to a 6yo....but if you want to...go for it :-)

LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:44 AM
IDK, how do you explain owning two unaltered dogs when thousands of dogs are put down every year because they're aren't enough homes for them?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN