Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Unions - your experience

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:52 PM
  • 38 Replies

Poll

Question: Your take on unions

Options:

They are useful and do a lot of good.

They do more harm than good.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 33

View Results

What is your experience with unions? Have you been in one, or your spouse?  Have they helped you or hurt you?  Are  you in a position to compare non-union workers to union ones - how do they compare.  I'm not talking about what unions did 80 years ago - i mean now, in the 2000s.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM
I have been a member of a union in the past and Matt was a member of the IAFF union. They were great for offering for offering benefits like health insurance. The IAFF ensured a safe work environment for Matt.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I have taught in schools for 20 years and have never worked anywhere with a union. There are several times folks talked about unionizing but it didn't happen. In certain cases, like for adjuncts, it would be very helpful if they had a union to represent them.

Naughty Wittle Puppy

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:38 PM
I haven't had personal experience but my parents were both public school teachers and had good experiences with them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sheraymonet
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:42 PM
My ex was in a union and was great.....for the most part.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
greenie63
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Yes I worked with a union, we were required to be a part of and pay union dues. It did help, but I personally feel no one should be forced into anything. 

At one point there was a threat of a strike and the union president said "if we do strike, you aren't crossing the lines are you?" I told her I have no choice I have children that depend on my income. It left a bad taste in her mouth, but glad it never came to a strike. My father did experience crossing union lines, and he was treated poorly after that experience. 

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:00 PM
I should add that as a fireman Matt's union was not legally allowed to go out on strike.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JCB911
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I guess I was wondering if anyone had any specific stories - as in the union helped us when  . . .  or the union workers I hired didn't  . . . , but the non-union did.  The union had my back when. . .  or I worked my ass off but the union held me back.

I was part of a union, had no choice, I was hired, it was a union grocery store so I had to.  I was taught a good work ethic. Came in when others called in sick, never called in unless I really had to.  had lots of customers call and compliment my customer service.  Yet I received the same crappy rasie as the employees who shuffled through the day and called in "sick" at a whim.  I left the company in Nov b/c I was moving out of state.  In the union contract I was to be paid a pro-rated amount for vacation time earned but not used. I haden't any vaca time in the current year.  The vacation time i earned was for the coming year, the year I wouldn't be here for. The company argued, I asked the union and I got the money.  Wasn't much, but hey it's mine. (Personally i think it was a silly policy, but I'll take it).

My DH sees the difference in unions and non-unions often.  He deals with union and non-union baggage handlers at various airports.  The non-union baggage handlers do a remarkably quicker job. Run out to the plane as soon as they land, quickly get their job done.  The union ones, often wait 10-15 minutes before wandering out - potentially delaying his next flight.  At one airport my DH was so fed up by the lack of action that he consistently saw by the union baggage handlers that HE started unloading the bags - the union guys came RUNNING out there then, when they were previously busy.  

To say the least neither of us are fans of unions.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I watched almost every business in a 3 block radius go out of business because of forced unionization.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Ive been in unions before....I never join until I see what the actually do opposed to tell us what they do.

Depending on the job...Unions can be great for ensuring that you have income if the shit hits the fan and you need to strike.  Otherwise there is no difference to being a member or not.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this

No experience but they sure destroyed Hostess!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN