Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Christians successfully restore prayer to board meetings

Posted by   + Show Post

The Miami-Dade Board of County Commissioners has voted to restore prayer to open meetings.

In 2004, two members of the board decided they were offended with Christian prayer and successfully lobbied fellow members to open instead with a moment of silence. The Christian Family Coalition got to work and one of the hostile members was replaced with a Christian, as spokesman Anthony Verdugo explains.

Verdugo

"To eliminate religious speech in the form of solemnizing the prayer is discrimination, and so what we told the commissioners is all we want to do is restore free-speech rights and restore speech equality so that everyone can speak openly and freely so long as it's civil discourse," he tells OneNewsNow.

The commission voted 8-3 to restore prayer prior to the roll call for the meeting.

"We are a metropolitan area, but we also have to be an inclusive and welcoming community and we talk about being inclusive and welcoming and tolerant," he says. "That includes people of faith also because we too are part of this community. We're not isolated from it, so our free-speech rights must also be respected and upheld."

Under the policy, the commissioners will select on a rotating basis someone from the area to conduct the prayer -- or commissioners themselves can elect to offer the prayer.

source

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:24 AM
Replies (21-30):
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:05 AM
3 moms liked this

"Non Christians... get the fuck out.. we don't want you here, worthles cretins!"

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:08 AM
3 moms liked this

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romalove:

If I was a praying person and I lived there I would be praying for county commissioners who understood the First Amendment and that they were elected to serve all the people of their district, and not just the Christians.

They had free speech rights to pray during the moment of silence, however they wished to.  Now they took away the free speech rights of anyone who doesn't want to pray the same way.

Just completely stupid.  

No it didn't.  It was forcing them to pray in silence, which was not how they wished to pray... 

JCB911
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

So a group of government representatives voted to endorse one religion over an all-inclusive moment of silence?  That is terrible.  

But they voted to pray - they didn't speicify which way they'd pray.  They didn't specify they'd only pray Christian prayers - I'm rather sure other faiths pray as well.  And if my history of religion serves me, the main 3 religions in USA pray to the same GOD..

CafeMom Tickers

ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this
This!

What they are doing is not Christ like at all! He never ask us to force him on anyone. In fact he gave us all the will to choose! Why are these people not allowing them to use there free will without question or the risk of being ostracized? This is truly a sad day for non believers but true believers alike! Smh.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

It also includes people of OTHER faiths ..are they saying different prayers as well?

Nope

So many Christians are bigoted bullies pushing their religious beliefs on others

Disgusting
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this
What about those who do not pray at all? What about their freedom from religion? Why can't these people just start a group and pray before the meetings.

Quoting JCB911:

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

So a group of government representatives voted to endorse one religion over an all-inclusive moment of silence?  That is terrible.  

But they voted to pray - they didn't speicify which way they'd pray.  They didn't specify they'd only pray Christian prayers - I'm rather sure other faiths pray as well.  And if my history of religion serves me, the main 3 religions in USA pray to the same GOD..

romalove
by Roma on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:17 AM
They wished to pray organized without regards for anyone else.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting romalove:

If I was a praying person and I lived there I would be praying for county commissioners who understood the First Amendment and that they were elected to serve all the people of their district, and not just the Christians.

They had free speech rights to pray during the moment of silence, however they wished to.  Now they took away the free speech rights of anyone who doesn't want to pray the same way.

Just completely stupid.  

No it didn't.  It was forcing them to pray in silence, which was not how they wished to pray... 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TCgirlatheart
by TC on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:17 AM
2 moms liked this
They voted to remove the moment of silence and replaced it with prayer.
There are also Americans that don't believe in the God of Abraham, nor any God at all.

Quoting JCB911:

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Disappointing decision.     

I don't understand why a group of professionals would open any kind of regular government meeting with a moment of silence or a prayer, shouldn't they be spending the meeting time attending to business?  I hope the prayers are required to last no longer than the moment of silence would have. 

I was raised Christian and have spent a lot of time listening to "public" prayer.  The ones I have heard very often include some kind of hostile dig at someone who is present--a nonbeliever, a child who has been misbehaving, someone in the church who is annoying the pastor, etc.  Not much to do with seeking God's guidance, but plenty of egotism and social control. 

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

When at work, be it our job or our political position, people don't get to do a lot of things as they wish.  Having a moment of silence in one aspect of someones life does not keep them from praying anyway they want at other points of their day/week/month/life.  Why is that one moment of silence so offensive?  

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting romalove:

Just completely stupid.  

~"Dream the dreams of others and you will be no one's rival." ~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN