Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Christians successfully restore prayer to board meetings

Posted by   + Show Post

The Miami-Dade Board of County Commissioners has voted to restore prayer to open meetings.

In 2004, two members of the board decided they were offended with Christian prayer and successfully lobbied fellow members to open instead with a moment of silence. The Christian Family Coalition got to work and one of the hostile members was replaced with a Christian, as spokesman Anthony Verdugo explains.

Verdugo

"To eliminate religious speech in the form of solemnizing the prayer is discrimination, and so what we told the commissioners is all we want to do is restore free-speech rights and restore speech equality so that everyone can speak openly and freely so long as it's civil discourse," he tells OneNewsNow.

The commission voted 8-3 to restore prayer prior to the roll call for the meeting.

"We are a metropolitan area, but we also have to be an inclusive and welcoming community and we talk about being inclusive and welcoming and tolerant," he says. "That includes people of faith also because we too are part of this community. We're not isolated from it, so our free-speech rights must also be respected and upheld."

Under the policy, the commissioners will select on a rotating basis someone from the area to conduct the prayer -- or commissioners themselves can elect to offer the prayer.

source

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:24 AM
Replies (41-50):
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this
There is also a seperationof of church and state

No one can close their ears, it's physically impossible

But you can pray on your own time

Quoting 12hellokitty:

No they wished to practice their Constitutional right to free speech.  Trying to silence their free speech is infringing upon their rights.  Those who don't wish to participate can close their ears...

Quoting romalove:

They wished to pray organized without regards for anyone else.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting romalove:

If I was a praying person and I lived there I would be praying for county commissioners who understood the First Amendment and that they were elected to serve all the people of their district, and not just the Christians.

They had free speech rights to pray during the moment of silence, however they wished to.  Now they took away the free speech rights of anyone who doesn't want to pray the same way.

Just completely stupid.  

No it didn't.  It was forcing them to pray in silence, which was not how they wished to pray... 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:31 AM
5 moms liked this
Oh bull!!! They were being afforded the exact same opportunities as everyone else, which you and those like you HATE. NOW they have superior rights, which is what you and those like you REALLY want and throw fits screaming persecution if you do not get. I really wish more Christians would simply emulate CHRIST instead of acting like spoiled toddlers when they do not get MOrE rights than everyone else.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting romalove:

If I was a praying person and I lived there I would be praying for county commissioners who understood the First Amendment and that they were elected to serve all the people of their district, and not just the Christians.

They had free speech rights to pray during the moment of silence, however they wished to.  Now they took away the free speech rights of anyone who doesn't want to pray the same way.

Just completely stupid.  

No it didn't.  It was forcing them to pray in silence, which was not how they wished to pray... 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SWasson
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:32 AM
3 moms liked this

This is why so many Christians™ come off as assholes. What does praying have to do with the business of a county board of commissioners, anyway?  Maybe if they looked to their mental faculties for good decision-making rather than to the deity they want to believe in, they'd make better decisions. 

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:33 AM
I'm sorry, but saying a silent prayer is not infringing on anybody's rights. That's just being nitpicky. Wouldn't it be better to say a silent prayer than people of different faiths praying at the same time out loud?

Quoting candlegal:

They aren't, they are just tired of being told to keep their mouths shut and just go along.

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

Why are some Christians so adamant on forcing their beliefs on others?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:34 AM
It is not a tenet of your faith to pray publicly

And if you can't follow the constitution they should resign from their government position

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Matthew 6:6.

Interesting.  While we are to not pray openly in vain, we are in fact called to pray for and with one another. 

As much as you and others want Christians to check their faith at the doors of their home and church, we have a RIGHT to practice our religion freely and openly and a core practice for Christians is prayer. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:34 AM

As far as the article goes it doesn't say ONLY Christians will be given opportunity to give the open prayer. 

So what right is being taken from those who don't pray?  Those who are offended by the opening prayer may remove themselves from the room.  The last I checked not having to listen to the free speech of others is not a protected right....

Quoting Sekirei:

so.it is all right to infringe on someone else's rights...as long as you can pray?Good to know that I am correct in my assessment of most christians... "Non Christians... get out...you worthless cretins!"

Quoting 12hellokitty:

No they wished to practice their Constitutional right to free speech.  Trying to silence their free speech is infringing upon their rights.  Those who don't wish to participate can close their ears...

Quoting romalove:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting romalove:

Just completely stupid.  

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:36 AM

They were following the constitution, didn't you see they held a VOTE? 

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

And if you can't follow the constitution they should resign from their government position

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Interesting.  While we are to not pray openly in vain, we are in fact called to pray for and with one another. 

As much as you and others want Christians to check their faith at the doors of their home and church, we have a RIGHT to practice our religion freely and openly and a core practice for Christians is prayer. 

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
The right to be represented by a government entity. This group changed from a moment of silence (all inclusive), to a prayer (exclusive).
I really can't wait for them to invite the local Wicca and Sanataria groups to lead the opening prayer.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

As far as the article goes it doesn't say ONLY Christians will be given opportunity to give the open prayer. 

So what right is being taken from those who don't pray?  Those who are offended by the opening prayer may remove themselves from the room.  The last I checked not having to listen to the free speech of others is not a protected right....

Quoting Sekirei:

so.it is all right to infringe on someone else's rights...as long as you can pray?Good to know that I am correct in my assessment of most christians... "Non Christians... get out...you worthless cretins!"

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting romalove:

Just completely stupid.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Yes, they voted to insert prayer into a governmental public meeting.

How American of them.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:40 AM
They can't vote to violate the seperation of church and state

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)