Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Concentration camp ashes to art?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:41 AM
  • 19 Replies
Swedish Artist Uses Ashes Stolenfrom Nazi Concentration Camp to Paint Picture; Some People Are Not Okay With That

NeetzanZimmerman

A Swedish visual artist is being accused of disturbing the peace of the dead and desecrating human remains for usinga solution made up of equalparts water and Holocaust victim ashesto paint his latest workof art.

Carl Michael vonHausswolff sayshe visited the infamous Majdanek concentration camp in1989 and swiped some ashesfrom the camp's crematorium.

Some 360,000 people are believed to have died at Majdanek,of which 144,000 were executed by gas chamber or othermeans.

"In 2010 I pulled out the jar of ashesand decided to 'do something' with it," vonHausswolff says.

He continues:

I took out a few sheets of watercolour paper and decided to cover just a rectangular space with ashes mixed with water. When I stepped back and looked at the pictures, they 'spoke' to me: figuresappeared... as if the ashes contained energy or memories or 'souls' from people... people tortured, tormented and murdered by other people in one of the most ruthlesswarsof the 20th century.

The resulting art exhibit — Memory Works— is presently on display at the Martin Bryder Gallery in Lund. Asked about the controversy surrounding the piece, Bryder told the Daily Telegraph,"please come to the gallery, see the painting and judge for yourselveswhether it's controversial."

Salomon Schulman, a prominent member of the Jewish community inSweden, wrote an op-en for a local paper in which he called the painting "revolting." "I'm never going to step foot inside this gallery to view thisdesecration of Jewish bodies," Schulmanwrote. "Who knows — maybe some of the ashescome from some of my relatives."

A criminal investigation hasbeenlaunched by Swedish police,but it remains unclear if theft of ashes inPoland constitutesa crime inSweden.

[photo via Facebook]

DEC 7, 2012

GET OUR TOP STORIES

FOLLOW GAWKER
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:43 AM

His wants are more important than the wants of the relatives of the dead not to have their ashes stolen from where they rested.

More selfish behavior.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Uhh.. not cool.. not cool at all

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM
I think that's terrible to steal someone's ashes. Regardless of how their used, stealing reminds is so incredibly disrespectful, I have no words.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mesh2
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Ugg, reading that gave me a really awful feeling all over my body. 

How disrespectful and disgusting. 

I have been to Majdanek and seen those ashes, and I just cannot imaging what could come over someone that would make them reach in and take any. 

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Unbelievable.

But you know, I have developed this view of people that no doubt some will buy this art. Not to mention, I would hope that even if it isn't a crime is Sweden, hopefully it is in Poland  and they can figure out a way to prosecute.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:07 AM
How disgusting.

Isn't there some law about using human body parts/organs/remains...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Quoting rfurlongg:

Swedish Artist Uses Ashes Stolenfrom Nazi Concentration Camp to Paint Picture; Some People Are Not Okay With That

Only some, seriously?

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:16 AM

He is just trying to justify his despicable behavior saying "the ashes spoke to him".  He should be ashamed himself.  He dishonored the survivors and the families of the lost.  He is a thief and an uncaring, selfish person.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Sick vile excuse of a human being.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mesh2
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Here is an article from the Jerusalem post about it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)