Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

"Because I Say So!" is enough of a reason to tell your children without any other explanation needed

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: "Because I say so" is enough tell your children without any other explanation needed

Options:

Agree

Disagree

Depends

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 156

View Results

Agree or Disagree?

Discuss....

Naughty Wittle Puppy

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:52 PM
Replies (81-85):
kehgiggles
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I voted agree but I didn't think it through before I read some of your replies. I always have a reason, but I don't think I need to justify my every decision with my kids. That usually turns into a whole new discussion and then I tell them that I am the adult and I get to decide. I just don't use the words "Because I said so".

I just reemed out my dh the other day for abusing this privelage in a really stupid situation. I generally don't like to over-ride his decisions, but this one begged for a reversal. 

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Disagree. Children, even from a very young age need to understand why boundaries and limitations are set. When you understand exactly why you can't or shouldn't do something you're more likely to follow the rules.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melissam78
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM
Understanding the rules is where the "why" comes in,yes,I expect my children to follow what I say but I also want then to understand why.(don't be loud in the car,why?because it's a distraction which could lead to a dangerous situation.no you cannot have that new toy,why?because we need to buy things we NEED first.)IMO explaining certain why's to our no's (other then just saying,because I say so) helps our kids to make wiser decisions,because they know the "why's"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:09 PM

lol

Its getting better... Slowly...

Quoting GLWerth:

It would seem that you and I agree a lot on parenting, if nothing else.

Hope you are getting more sleep these days!

Quoting kailu1835:

Agree... IF you don't ever want your kids to learn to make good decisions for themselves.

So basically, I disagree :)

I believe in explaining to my kids why I made the decision I made, so that they can better understand the logic behind the decision.  Sometimes I cannot give a why right away, so I tell them that we can talk about it later, and that's usually enough for them. 

I don't think it's ever really okay (IMO) to say "because I said so and that's the end of it, period, end of story."  There is always a reason for decision making, and it's important for kids to understand.

babiesbabybaby development

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I feel it depends on the situation. I always try and explain but as in my DD (15) always wants to argue the "because I said so" is my fall back

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN