Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

OT If you are against cropping and docking then why spay and neuter?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:56 PM
  • 174 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am a vet tech and I posted in another group how I have preformed several crop and dock jobs (yes I can do that). People started going off how it is cruel and where I can see the point I don't see how you can be anti-crop and dock but pro-spay and neuter. I am not pro or anti either. I don't do either but I am not against them. 

Let me set some facts about each

Cropping and docking: Depending on the vet and the breeder it is done between 3 days and 12 weeks (no later than 12 weeks either way) under general anesthesia (or full anesthesia depending on the vet. Cropping is the removal of undeveloped cartilage and the pups feel no pain during or after (afterwards they just want mommy and some food). Docking hurts like hell but they get over it.  Trust me, with  puppies you can tell if they are in pain (they cry). Pain meds are still given The healing process takes about 10-14 days and then the stitches fall out (at least our stitches fall out, some may need to be removed but it doesn't feel like anything). You may have to clean the area to keep it nice and dry and the dogs usually show no sign of pain during. Annoyance, yes but not pain. Afterwards, depending on the length of the crop, the ears are either posted to keep them up or left alone to stand on their own. While the pups are healing they are allowed to play, and crawl over each other all they want

Spaying and Neutering: Is usually done with adolescent or adult dogs under anesthesia. It is the removal of fully developed, or close to fully developed, reproductive organs. The dogs are usually in need of pain medicines and a E-collar (the cone of shame) to stop the dogs from being in pain and picking at the wounds.  The dogs are encouraged to sit still as the stitches could tear open. Also if you attempted to touch it the dog will squeal and let you know of the pain. The healing process is about 10-14 days.

I fail to see any difference here.  So I find it a bit hypocritical to be against one but for another.

Spay and Neuter myths

1. It calms them down

-Spaying or neutering a dog does not change its activity level. The dog may be calm when it realizes that running hurts like hell but after the pain is over they will be back to normal. 

2. It will make them less aggressive

- Uhh no. Aggression is in the brain, not the balls. Altering a dog will not make it any less aggressive. If a dog is truly aggressive, aggressive then that is genetic and only euthanasia can cure it.  Sorry but its true. Unless you are the type that can actually control it.

3. It makes them fat

-No, you make them fat by over feeding and not exercising.

4. If I neuter my cat/dog then he will stop peeing in the house

-There is a difference between spaying and peeing. If the cat/dog is urinating in your house then that is because of a lack of training on your part. Cutting out their organs will not stop it. 

5. If I neuter my males/females they will stop fighting

-*Buzzer noise* wrong. If your pets are already fighting then altering will not stop it. They have already got into the habit of fighting. They will not stop.

Crop and dock myths

1. It makes them look tough

-No it makes you look stupid for even thinking that. Sure the dog looks like something straight out of hell until you go up to it and it licks you to death. Even then if the surgeries are done professionally and the dog doesn't look like a beast that has got into a fight with a chainsaw then there is nothing "tough" about it.

2. Cropping/docking makes them mean

- Once again. Aggression is in the brain, not the ears or tail.

3. They get more infections

-Nope. Actually dogs with upright ears (Cropped or natural) are less likely to get infections because air and moisture is allowed to move in and out freely as opposed to getting trapped inside. And dogs with cropped tails are less likely to get tail injuries (can't injure what you don't have)

4. It hurts into adulthood

-Feel your ears with those earrings dangling out of them. Do they still hurt? No, right? So take into account that dogs have a higher pain tolerance than us and that they do not live in the past and then you will understand how wrong that myth is. In all actuality, the pups forget about it by the time they go home.

5. No good vet will do them

-False. A good vet will put the wants of their clients first. Instead of saying no and sending you in the direction of some idiot in his backyard with a pair of scissors and a band-aid.

So yea. Idc if you are against it or not. Just don't be against one and not the other. It is basically the same. I haven't cropped a pet of my own nor spayed/ neutered my pets. I have to spay/neuter my rescues because that is the law but unless my pets were altered beforehand then they are not fixed. I don't mind if you do it (Its your choice what you do with your pets) and I will be glad to oblidge if I am asked to assist with one or preform one. 

Edit: This is not a comparison. This is a question. If your only reason to be against cropping and docking is because "it hurts" then why be pro S/N. You are aware that the removal of reproductive organs hurts even more right?

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:01 AM
16 moms liked this

well

a spayed female will live a longer and healthier life.. 

not to mention, paying and neutering prevents more dogs from being born with no place to go

Docking and cropping.. are just for looks.. the vanity of the owner. and you know what, I have seen pups after being cropped and yeah, they were not wanting food.. they were in enormous amounts of pain.

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:03 AM

It is better for their health though to neuter them, right? Or is that a myth too?  

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Oh, and I have no opinion on docking or croping.  Thats a personal choice.

AliKatCam
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:04 AM

The ones we do feel no pain or very little. A good vet will give a shot of painkillers so when they are awake all they really want is food. Not all are for looks. Many working owners do it. Here in TX we have the hog issue so the dogs are cropped so their ears don't get gored off or just caught on something. The tail is left because it adds agility.

Quoting Sekirei:

well

not to mention, paying and neutering prevents more dogs from being born with no place to go

Docking and cropping.. are just for looks.. the vanity of the owner. and you know what, I have seen pups after being cropped and yeah, they were not wanting food.. they were in enormous amounts of pain.

AliKatCam
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:06 AM

No. Certain cancers are definitely prevented by spaying and neutering. But if you are just doing it to "stop your dogs from fighting" then that is dumb because you will be in for a surprise when they come out of anethesia and still hete eachother.

Quoting tooptimistic:

It is better for their health though to neuter them, right? Or is that a myth too?  

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:06 AM

another reason for me to want to leave texas.. (-_-;)

I still don't agree with it.. just like I don't agree with declawing a cat or debarking a dog.

Quoting AliKatCam:

The ones we do feel no pain or very little. A good vet will give a shot of painkillers so when they are awake all they really want is food. Not all are for looks. Many working owners do it. Here in TX we have the hog issue so the dogs are cropped so their ears don't get gored off or just caught on something. The tail is left because it adds agility.

Quoting Sekirei:

well

AliKatCam
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:07 AM

That's how I see it. I am not for it, nor against it. Its your pet so do what you want with it.

Quoting tooptimistic:

Oh, and I have no opinion on docking or croping.  Thats a personal choice.

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't give a shit what people do with their pets. Spay,neuter, declaw, debark, crop/dock, etc. not my pet, not my business.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:08 AM
8 moms liked this
Not a myth... Pets that are spayed/neutered don't have babies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AliKatCam
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Totally with you on declawing and debarking. Where I have no set stance on spay and neuter or crop and dock I see NO POINT in debarking a dog or declawing a cat. Its like c'mon.. If you don't want a pet that barks then don't get a dog and if you don't want a pet that scratches things then don't get a cat.  Also the wild turkey x horse noise that debarked dogs make is evenn worse than barking if you ask me. And the constant peeing out of the litterbox that declawed cats do is just annoying. They are better with their bark and claws.

Quoting Sekirei:

another reason for me to want to leave texas.. (-_-;)

I still don't agree with it.. just like I don't agree with declawing a cat or debarking a dog.

Quoting AliKatCam:

Quoting Sekirei:

well

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN