Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Punishing everyone for the crimes of a few?

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:18 AM
  • 28 Replies

Yet another example of punishing the law abiding for the crimes of the few. Do you think this is right? Should we all have to take extra measures because someone broke the law?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2012/12/09/dallas-cowboys-mull-safekey-josh-brent-jerry-brown-intoxication-manslaughter/1757019/

Cowboys mull device to immobilize players' cars

5:53PM EST December 9. 2012 - CINCINNATI -- What more can they do?

Calvin Hill asks himself that question repeatedly in his role as a consultant for the Dallas Cowboys, with the responsibility of administering off-the-field support programs.

He is searching for more answers, in the wake of the single-car, alcohol-related crash early Saturday that killed practice squad linebacker Jerry Brown and left defensive tackle Josh Brent facing intoxication manslaughter charges.

"Obviously, we do whatever we can do," Hill said somberly before Sunday's game at Paul Brown Stadium, alluding to the team's educational programs. "I don't know what more we can do. We're always examining and going over things."

Hill said the team could mandate that Cowboys players have electronic devices designed to immobilize vehicles when a driver is impaired. The device, SafeKey, includes a small fob that is attached to the key ring, which sends electronic signals to a complementary device that can prevent a vehicle from starting if a driver doesn't pass a test based on color-coded light emissions.

"We are considering that," Hill said.

It is unclear whether the NFL Players Association would sign off on allowing teams to mandate such a measure for players. NFLPA officials did not immediately respond to USA TODAY Sports on Sunday.

Nonetheless, Hill is willing to try to do more. He said he was struck by a statistic displayed on a highway billboard recently that said 2,700 people had died on Texas highways this year.

"You wonder how many of those have to do with alcohol," he said.

Hill applauds the program set in place by the players union that provides rides for players who need transportation after becoming impaired. He said he is unsure what percentage of players use the service, given the confidentiality of the program.

"Everyone has free will and makes their own decisions," Hill said. "You try to make them aware that every decision has a consequence and that they're responsible. You hope they consider the potential consequences."

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Babysitters

eema.gray
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM
2 moms liked this

To somewhat paraphrase:  Collective responsibility is a facist concept.  NFL players cannot be held responsible, as a group, for misdeeds committed by individuals who wear the same uniform, play the same position, or enjoy the same off-field activities.  Each player is responsible for his own actions.

punky3175
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

That's getting ridiculous and I'd be pissed if I were forced to suffer because someone else fucked up.

jlo1313
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:04 AM

But it happens all of the time.  Laws against texting and driving, mandatory seat belt laws, laws that tell us when our children are old enough to be left home alone, etc. 

Quoting punky3175:

That's getting ridiculous and I'd be pissed if I were forced to suffer because someone else fucked up.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Very true. It was just a few years ago that 'they' removed baby cold meds from store shelves because four babies died...when parents didn't read the directions and overdosed them. Now you can't buy it anymore.

Quoting jlo1313:

But it happens all of the time.  Laws against texting and driving, mandatory seat belt laws, laws that tell us when our children are old enough to be left home alone, etc. 

Quoting punky3175:

jlo1313
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Exactly, now if you give a child benedryl you are looked at as though you are a child abuser.  I made that stupid mistake with the school a couple of weeks ago when DS had an allergic reaction to their lunch and they called me in the middle of a meeting telling me and my response was "He should have a Benedryl strip in the front pocket of his backpack, have the nurse open and administer the strip and I will be there in 30 minutes."

Quoting Woodbabe:

Very true. It was just a few years ago that 'they' removed baby cold meds from store shelves because four babies died...when parents didn't read the directions and overdosed them. Now you can't buy it anymore.

Quoting jlo1313:

Quoting punky3175:

punky3175
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh I know it happens all the time.  And I'm going to be a hypocrite and say some of them I agree with such as the distracted driving laws.  I see too many idiots on the road putting my life and the lives of my family and friends in jeopardy because they are driving like morons.  When it comes to the government trying to parent my kids (cold syrup, no bucky balls, no kinder eggs etc) because a couple of morons don't have common sense then I go back to being annoyed.

Does my logic make sense?  Probably not.  Do I care?  Nope. :D It's how I feel and I'm entitled to feel that way. *walks off in a huff.* <----ok not really. Just to cut off being called on my completely illogical thoughts on this.

Quoting jlo1313:

Quoting punky3175:

ChutterButter
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Actually with the baby cold meds, further research was done and it was found that the antihistamines were taking a toll on the babies' livers, causing damage, and peditricians thought it best to recommend against their use. The companies that produced them then removed them. Benadryl contains the same ingredient that was causing the damage and was deemed by peditricians to be unsafe until the child is 6.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting jlo1313:

Quoting punky3175:

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:48 AM

It was done after the recall, and those reasons are understandable. But the original recall:

http://www.azcentral.com/business/consumer/articles/1011biz-kidscoldmedicine11-ON.html

WASHINGTON - Drug makers on Thursday voluntarily pulled kids' cold medicines off the market less than two weeks after the government warned of potential health risks to infants.

Products aimed at children under the age of two are being removed from store shelves due to "rare instantances of misuse" that could lead to accidental overdose, a trade group that represents over-the-counter drug makers said.

Quoting ChutterButter:

Actually with the baby cold meds, further research was done and it was found that the antihistamines were taking a toll on the babies' livers, causing damage, and peditricians thought it best to recommend against their use. The companies that produced them then removed them. Benadryl contains the same ingredient that was causing the damage and was deemed by peditricians to be unsafe until the child is 6.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting jlo1313:

Quoting punky3175:

Joqui
by Joqui on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I think this is different.  Although I do view it as babysitting... the NFL is still a corporation and it has to protect its ass, at this point they know that their biggest assets are also their biggest liabilities so they have to come up with some sort of solution.  If the players don't like it they can "find somewhere else to work" ... right?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)