Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Punishing everyone for the crimes of a few?

Posted by   + Show Post

Yet another example of punishing the law abiding for the crimes of the few. Do you think this is right? Should we all have to take extra measures because someone broke the law?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2012/12/09/dallas-cowboys-mull-safekey-josh-brent-jerry-brown-intoxication-manslaughter/1757019/

Cowboys mull device to immobilize players' cars

5:53PM EST December 9. 2012 - CINCINNATI -- What more can they do?

Calvin Hill asks himself that question repeatedly in his role as a consultant for the Dallas Cowboys, with the responsibility of administering off-the-field support programs.

He is searching for more answers, in the wake of the single-car, alcohol-related crash early Saturday that killed practice squad linebacker Jerry Brown and left defensive tackle Josh Brent facing intoxication manslaughter charges.

"Obviously, we do whatever we can do," Hill said somberly before Sunday's game at Paul Brown Stadium, alluding to the team's educational programs. "I don't know what more we can do. We're always examining and going over things."

Hill said the team could mandate that Cowboys players have electronic devices designed to immobilize vehicles when a driver is impaired. The device, SafeKey, includes a small fob that is attached to the key ring, which sends electronic signals to a complementary device that can prevent a vehicle from starting if a driver doesn't pass a test based on color-coded light emissions.

"We are considering that," Hill said.

It is unclear whether the NFL Players Association would sign off on allowing teams to mandate such a measure for players. NFLPA officials did not immediately respond to USA TODAY Sports on Sunday.

Nonetheless, Hill is willing to try to do more. He said he was struck by a statistic displayed on a highway billboard recently that said 2,700 people had died on Texas highways this year.

"You wonder how many of those have to do with alcohol," he said.

Hill applauds the program set in place by the players union that provides rides for players who need transportation after becoming impaired. He said he is unsure what percentage of players use the service, given the confidentiality of the program.

"Everyone has free will and makes their own decisions," Hill said. "You try to make them aware that every decision has a consequence and that they're responsible. You hope they consider the potential consequences."

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:18 AM
Replies (21-28):
jlo1313
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Much interpretation is put into reading vs hearing someone speak.  I think it is dumb that I can get a ticket for being stopped with with my vehicle running and technically I can get a ticket for texting and driving.  That is true whether I am at a red light or parked in a running car in a designated parking area (public) - this is true in my state.  It was more of an example of how far laws reach than anything.  I am all for pulling someone over that is driving 70 on the interstate and sending a text message, but I am likely to bitch if I get a ticket for sending a quick one word text while stopped at a red light.  Just like I am for the drinking and driving laws, but do not support staged sobriety check points.  It is quite easy for a drunk driver to avoid the sobriety check point, therefore making it a moot point or catching the lowest hanging fruit.

I ride motorcycle as well and have often commented on preferring it as the only means of transportation I have that is truly free.  I am not obligated to have my cell phone on my person (usually in a saddle bag and turned off) and I don't have to put up with the seat belt rubbing my throat or sitting oddly across a breast and rubbing painfully against them.

Quoting EireLass:

How am I putting words in your mouth? Your written attitude tells that you think it's dumb, and in a later reply you think it's dumb that you're not allowed to sit at a stop light and respond to a text.

I was really only touching what was mentioned. But seat belts? Yea, I wear one all the time in anyones car or truck. The dumb part of that to me is, I also drive a motorcycle....so....

Quoting jlo1313:

Please don't put words in my mouth.  I was giving an example of the latest and greatist of government having to pass laws.  Funny how you didn't touch seat belt laws, I still remember when everyone was bitching about being forced to wear a seat belt in the car *gasp*

Quoting EireLass:

Do you really think this law is a bad decision? There's no way to read a text, write a text, and keep your eyes on the road as well as other drivers, all at the same time. Just because you haven't crashed, doesn't mean you can do it!

Quoting jlo1313:

But it happens all of the time.  Laws against texting and driving, mandatory seat belt laws, laws that tell us when our children are old enough to be left home alone, etc. 

Quoting punky3175:

That's getting ridiculous and I'd be pissed if I were forced to suffer because someone else fucked up.

Joqui
by Joqui on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:33 PM

When I worked at Victoria Secrets while in college we had to get our bags checked when we came in and when we left. It was corporate policy. IF it is corporate policy and I really want to work there then yea.

If I find it a violation of privacy then I could look for employment somewhere else. I've gone through some pretty invasive searches done on me (lol don't ask) so the thought of pulling down my panti draws coughing two times and spreading my butt cheeks doesn't scare me, not for the amount of salary the NFL is paying any damn way.

Quoting Woodbabe:

So if someone at your office is caught stealing a thumb drive with corporate secrets shoved up her hooha, you'd be willing to sacrifice your personal privacy and integrity by undergoing invasive screening before you left everyday to protect the company?

Quoting Joqui:

I think this is different.  Although I do view it as babysitting... the NFL is still a corporation and it has to protect its ass, at this point they know that their biggest assets are also their biggest liabilities so they have to come up with some sort of solution.  If the players don't like it they can "find somewhere else to work" ... right?

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I agree with you.

Being new to this state, not sure of all the laws here, but in my previous state, the law was the same regarding sitting in a running vehicle. You would also be sited for DUI if you were drunk, sitting in the drivers seat of a running car. It was all about 'intention'. Which obviously...there is intention, or the car wouldn't be running.

Agree about the bikes. And no helmets where I live, but you got to have that seatbelt inside the car!

Quoting jlo1313:

Much interpretation is put into reading vs hearing someone speak.  I think it is dumb that I can get a ticket for being stopped with with my vehicle running and technically I can get a ticket for texting and driving.  That is true whether I am at a red light or parked in a running car in a designated parking area (public) - this is true in my state.  It was more of an example of how far laws reach than anything.  I am all for pulling someone over that is driving 70 on the interstate and sending a text message, but I am likely to bitch if I get a ticket for sending a quick one word text while stopped at a red light.  Just like I am for the drinking and driving laws, but do not support staged sobriety check points.  It is quite easy for a drunk driver to avoid the sobriety check point, therefore making it a moot point or catching the lowest hanging fruit.

I ride motorcycle as well and have often commented on preferring it as the only means of transportation I have that is truly free.  I am not obligated to have my cell phone on my person (usually in a saddle bag and turned off) and I don't have to put up with the seat belt rubbing my throat or sitting oddly across a breast and rubbing painfully against them.

Quoting EireLass:

How am I putting words in your mouth? Your written attitude tells that you think it's dumb, and in a later reply you think it's dumb that you're not allowed to sit at a stop light and respond to a text. I was really only touching what was mentioned. But seat belts? Yea, I wear one all the time in anyones car or truck. The dumb part of that to me is, I also drive a motorcycle....so....

Quoting jlo1313:

Please don't put words in my mouth.  I was giving an example of the latest and greatist of government having to pass laws.  Funny how you didn't touch seat belt laws, I still remember when everyone was bitching about being forced to wear a seat belt in the car *gasp*

Quoting EireLass:

Do you really think this law is a bad decision? There's no way to read a text, write a text, and keep your eyes on the road as well as other drivers, all at the same time. Just because you haven't crashed, doesn't mean you can do it!

Quoting jlo1313:

But it happens all of the time.  Laws against texting and driving, mandatory seat belt laws, laws that tell us when our children are old enough to be left home alone, etc. 

Quoting punky3175:

That's getting ridiculous and I'd be pissed if I were forced to suffer because someone else fucked up.

AliKatCam
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I think its pathetic. Kind of like when you were in middle school and your whole class got in trouble because someone threw a green crayon at the teacher.

jlo1313
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I live in a helmet state, personally I HATE them, but I have gotten used to the idea, plus it saves the tangled mess my hair becomes at least at the roots.  

Quoting EireLass:

I agree with you.

Being new to this state, not sure of all the laws here, but in my previous state, the law was the same regarding sitting in a running vehicle. You would also be sited for DUI if you were drunk, sitting in the drivers seat of a running car. It was all about 'intention'. Which obviously...there is intention, or the car wouldn't be running.

Agree about the bikes. And no helmets where I live, but you got to have that seatbelt inside the car!

Quoting jlo1313:

Quoting EireLass:

How am I putting words in your mouth? Your written attitude tells that you think it's dumb, and in a later reply you think it's dumb that you're not allowed to sit at a stop light and respond to a text. I was really only touching what was mentioned. But seat belts? Yea, I wear one all the time in anyones car or truck. The dumb part of that to me is, I also drive a motorcycle....so....

Quoting jlo1313:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting jlo1313:

Quoting punky3175:

PestPatti
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 6:03 PM

NO .. Oddly enough that wasn't the 1rst time he has gotten a dui/dwi ticket.  He got one in college, and served jail time for it.  He is NEVER going to learn unless you HIT them where it HURTS.  

I hate showing ID, just because you have the asshats that are too busy looking at the "customers" assets to check if they are old enough to drink or smoke.   Its always about the dumbasses.  

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Not only that, None of us can now buy cold medicine that actually works because of those relatively few meth head morons. 

None of us can greet people at the plane anymore because of the security theater situation created because of the twin towers being demolished, supposedly by "terrorists". 

None of us can buy formula without being highly scrutinized...thanks again, meth heads!

None of us can buy that canned air  without ID because of idiot inhalers.

None of us are trusted anymore.  We have to provide several pieces of ID for every freaking thing.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Very true. It was just a few years ago that 'they' removed baby cold meds from store shelves because four babies died...when parents didn't read the directions and overdosed them. Now you can't buy it anymore.

Quoting jlo1313:

Quoting punky3175:

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Quoting Joqui:

I think this is different.  Although I do view it as babysitting... the NFL is still a corporation and it has to protect its ass, at this point they know that their biggest assets are also their biggest liabilities so they have to come up with some sort of solution.  If the players don't like it they can "find somewhere else to work" ... right?

I agree with this....people do things that corporations put in place to curb legal action that has formerly happened.

Health and Safety is always changing laws to stop stupid lawsuits saying they didnt do enough etc etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)