Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Differing views on teenage sex

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM
  • 15 Replies
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
radioheid
by Libertarian on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I personally feel those over the age of consent should have ready, "free" access to contraception, however, I stop short of believing we should hand it out, literally for free, in schools. I don't believe encouraging promiscuous sex is a good idea, as pregnancy isn't the only risk associated with sexual activity, and both gonorrhea and syphilis have been on the rise to boot.

Nearly 50 million Americans are now on food stamps, and our federal deficit is over 16 trillion dollars. We simply can't afford to host federal government-funded float parades in which we cast out free birth control pills and condoms to cheering spectators all over the country.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:19 AM

This is a culture wide difference. I am not sure if we can translate this attitude to the US teen given the overall culture of this country.

Personally, I am a little torn on the issue. I feel strongly about choice for women and girls and giving full, real information to kids about sex to both boys and girls at age appropriate levels starting in early childhood. However, the part of me that was raised evangelical Christian would have a problem allowing co-ed sleep overs in High School. But even removing the ingrained guilt complex, I believe most teens are too immature for the emotional issues involving sex. To me, that is what college is for. LOL.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Taking the financial aspect of this, fiscally it would be cheaper in the long run because it would lower the costs of paying for all of these unwanted, unaffordable children. Welfare, medical, WIC, etc...those costs to the government would drop substantially if the numbers of children requiring these services dropped.

Quoting radioheid:

I personally feel those over the age of consent should have ready, "free" access to contraception, however, I stop short of believing we should hand it out, literally for free, in schools. I don't believe encouraging promiscuous sex is a good idea, as pregnancy isn't the only risk associated with sexual activity, and both gonorrhea and syphilis have been on the rise to boot.

Nearly 50 million Americans are now on food stamps, and our federal deficit is over 16 trillion dollars. We simply can't afford to host federal government-funded float parades in which we cast out free birth control pills and condoms to cheering spectators all over the country.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:27 AM

My husband isn't evangelical either, but he would also have a huge problem with this! LOL

Quoting NWP:

This is a culture wide difference. I am not sure if we can translate this attitude to the US teen given the overall culture of this country.

Personally, I am a little torn on the issue. I feel strongly about choice for women and girls and giving full, real information to kids about sex to both boys and girls at age appropriate levels starting in early childhood. However, the part of me that was raised evangelical Christian would have a problem allowing co-ed sleep overs in High School. But even removing the ingrained guilt complex, I believe most teens are too immature for the emotional issues involving sex. To me, that is what college is for. LOL.

radioheid
by Libertarian on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:33 AM

The cost would be monumental, and there would still be children born to teen moms...there always have been and always will be. I don't see why people can't simply take responsibility for their own actions. If you're old enough to have sex, fully aware that sex can lead to babies, you're old enough to get a part-time job, baby-sit, collect cans or mow people's lawns to buy some damn condoms (or pay for an abortion), IMO.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Taking the financial aspect of this, fiscally it would be cheaper in the long run because it would lower the costs of paying for all of these unwanted, unaffordable children. Welfare, medical, WIC, etc...those costs to the government would drop substantially if the numbers of children requiring these services dropped.

Quoting radioheid:

"Roger that. Over."

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

There is no 100% solution because you can't force morality. You also can't ignore that way too many of those babies result from situations that teenaged girls didn't control.

Quoting radioheid:

The cost would be monumental, and there would still be children born to teen moms...there always have been and always will be. I don't see why people can't simply take responsibility for their own actions. If you're old enough to have sex, fully aware that sex can lead to babies, you're old enough to get a part-time job, baby-sit, collect cans or mow people's lawns to buy some damn condoms (or pay for an abortion), IMO.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting radioheid:

Joqui
by Joqui on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:48 AM

If anyone here really seriously thinks that the majority of teens aren't having sex they are just fooling themselves. Yes, there are a few who actually really do and WANT to practice abstinence but I feel arming the teen with knowledge and contraceptives is a smart move. Better safe than sorry, I say. 

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I seen a doc. on that. I've also have American friends who thought the same way the do. I wouldn't be comfortable having teenagers in my home having sex. Me and my husband don't agree as it is on the over 18 and sex. I feel at 18 it's none of my business and don't care if you have a guest over for the night. My husbands feels quite different. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. 

radioheid
by Libertarian on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM

So you're changing course from consensual sex among teens to what---rape? Short of forced birth control (which I'd never, ever support), it is impossible to prevent pregnancies that result from rape. I'm not sure where exactly you're going with the below highlighted statement

Quoting Woodbabe:

There is no 100% solution because you can't force morality. You also can't ignore that way too many of those babies result from situations that teenaged girls didn't control.

Quoting radioheid:

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting radioheid:

"Roger that. Over."

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:55 AM

The post is about consentual sex but my comment was in regard to YOUR comment. It is possible to prevent pregnancies caused by rape when 1) girls are already on birth control because of parental support, 2) girls have ready access to Plan B because their community supports its availablity and 3) the ability to not be forced to carry their rapist's baby is an option that is supported by both their family and community.

Quoting radioheid:

So you're changing course from consensual sex among teens to what---rape? Short of forced birth control (which I'd never, ever support), it is impossible to prevent pregnancies that result from rape. I'm not sure where exactly you're going with the below highlighted statement

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting radioheid:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN