Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Two Oregon boys, 7 & 11, accused of trying to rob woman in church parking lot

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:34 AM
  • 24 Replies

Two boys, ages 7 and 11, are accused of trying to rob a woman with a loaded gun, police said Sunday.

The boys tried to carjack a 22-year-old woman who was in her family's truck waiting for her parents in a church parking lot, Portland police said in a statement.

Ami Garrett, of southeast Portland, told officers that when the boys approached her, the younger boy told the older boy to "show her your piece."

The woman said that when she refused to give them her vehicle, they demanded cash and her phone. She said that as she drove away, she saw the 11-year-old boy pull a gun from his pocket.

The boys were apprehended in the parking lot by officers responding to reports of children with guns. Police said they recovered a loaded .22 caliber handgun from the older boy's pockets.

Detectives were investigating how the boys obtained a gun. Because of their age, the boys could not be taken into custody at a juvenile detention center, so they were returned to their families, police said.

The 11-year-old tried to escape his parents' house but was quickly caught by officers and returned to his parents.

Police planned to give the case to the juvenile court.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/10/two-oregon-boys-accused-trying-to-rob-woman-in-church-parking-lot/#ixzz2EfRrhC8J
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Radarma
by "OneDar" on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

The seven year old said "show her your piece".

I am horrified by this.

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:39 AM
5 moms liked this

Maybe the police should also be checking into these boys' families. Something has gone horribly wrong in their upbringing.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM
2 moms liked this

More guns is the answer. If the woman had possessed a weapon, she could have shot those criminals, and they could have returned fire.

Where did those kids get the loaded gun?

Obviously there are issues with those kids.

At least no one was hurt.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep.

Quoting frogbender:

Maybe the police should also be checking into these boys' families. Something has gone horribly wrong in their upbringing.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:46 AM

The woman in the vehicle is only 22 y/o.

These boys cannot be arrested or taken into juvie due to their ages; they were, legally, returned to their families.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM
I'm horrified too. What are kids that young doing wandering around town and looking to rob someone? Their parents must be incredibly lax and irresponsible. Then there is the gun issue.
But that's all I have to say...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Sounds as if there are some issues within the home with these boys.

I haven't a clue as to what they are but I certainly hope the parents, and the courts, are able to properly handle these two boys before it truly is too late, if that isn't the case already.

It's hard for me to imagine my children, when they were those ages, to even think in the same manner it takes to act in such a way.  

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Quoting Radarma:

The woman in the vehicle is only 22 y/o.

These boys cannot be arrested or taken into juvie due to their ages; they were, legally, returned to their families.

I disagree with these boys being returned to their families.  I realize the courts will be involved but sending them home did nothing.  The older one tried to get away again.

Some thing much harsher than sending them home needs to be done.

Send them to juvie for a night or two.  Scare the ever living crap out of them.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:58 AM
2 moms liked this

My son is seven.  I think about the things that he is interested in and the things that he talks about (playing wallball at recess, the latest Diary of a Wimpy Kid book he's reading, LEGOs, the video games he plays at his friend's house, etc.) and I simply cannot wrap my mind around a boy my son's age carrying a gun with the intent of robbing people.  It just doesn't compute.

The boys should not have been returned to their parents.  They should have been taken into state custody until it can be determined what the authorities are going to do about this.

This is just shocking.

rawrmommysaurus
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:59 AM

wow, I am speechless.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured