Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Choose Life plates ruled unconstitutional

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you agree with this ruling?

link

Judge finds NC ‘Choose Life’ plates unconstitutional

Judge finds NC 'Choose Life' plates unconstitutional

RALEIGH, N.C. – A federal judge has ruled it is unconstitutional for North Carolina to issue pro-life license plates unless the state offers similar plates supporting abortion rights.

U.S. District Court Judge James C. Fox ruled on Friday that North Carolina cannot produce or distribute the “Choose Life” plate.

Judge Fox concluded, “The State’s offering of a Choose Life license plate in the absence of a pro-choice plate constitutes viewpoint discrimination in violation of the First Amendment.”

The American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina Legal Foundation had filed a lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina in Sept. 2011 on behalf of North Carolinians seeking a specialty license plate that supports a woman’s right to reproductive freedom.

“This is a great victory for the free speech rights of all North Carolinians, regardless of their point of view on reproductive freedom,” said Chris Brook, legal director of the ACLU-NCLF.

Brook said the government cannot create an avenue to express one side of a political issue while denying an equal opportunity to citizens with an opposing view.

Judge Fox granted a preliminary injunction in Nov. 2011 that temporarily blocked production of the “Choose Life” plate; that injunction is now permanent.

During the 2011 legislative session, the North Carolina General Assembly passed House Bill 289, which authorized the issuance of a “Choose Life” license plate.

However, officials say the legislature repeatedly refused to authorize a plate that supported the countervailing position in favor of reproductive freedom.

Six amendments were proposed in the legislature to authorize an additional new plate that stated either, “Trust Women. Respect Choice,” or simply “Respect Choice.” The legislature rejected all six amendments.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Replies (101-110):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM
Hmm, hadn't bought about that. I have no problem with the plates, but it really does seem like I've over-looked the obvious all this time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM
It's still offered by the state, with state funds, if I'm not mistaken.

Quoting kailu1835:

No.  Who wants to put a license plate on their car that says "choose abortion"?  Also, this is not the standard license plate, is special order, so it is not being forced on anyone.  If someone wants a "choose abortion" plate, I believe they can make one and have it on the front of their car (in states that only require the back plate... I don't know if this state is one or not).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Agreed.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

After reading the entire article, I have to say that I agree with the judge's decision.

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:52 PM

have to agree.  Both sides should be equally able to express their beliefs.

gammie
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:59 PM

I have a problem with the word choice. To be able to have  a abortion that you could of prevented it's  not a choice.

Now if you use the word choice to prevent abortion, to tell young girls to wait to have sex, respect their body, use birth control if they choose to have sex.  Educating girls how their body works is what I will support but to teach them if you get a abortion because it not the right time to have a baby is wrong. This is why we tell them to wait to have sex, "if your bc does not work are you ready to have a baby"?

Girls are becoming more sexually active since this pro choice started. We want girls to be more informed not be whores, to be used by boys . I don't my daughter to be used just because everyone is doing it.  Your group tells girls it normal to have sex with everyone and if you get pregnant you just kill it. The proof is out there, look at reality TV, Jerry Springer, "who's your daddy" girls gone wild. If you respect yourself you would never do this shit!

Women on here putting their young girls on bc thinking a pregnancy it the worst thing that can happen. But forget to point out STD's you only get this by being sexually active and come with health risks.

It is normal to love someone and want sex, we need to teach our children that these feelings are normal. But you need to learn on how to push away and say not yet. If the time is right only you know and make sure your are protected.

We don't need to go from one extreme to another.

You don't have to be a nun or a whore, just  respect your body and life.

Quoting ashellbell:

Then why'd you say earlier that you did have a problem with it?

Quoting gammie:

No I would not have a problem. I do believe in true freedom and that means I may not like what some do.

Quoting jillianmayasmom:

So, you would have a problem with pro choice plates. Freedom of speech works both ways not just your way.

Quoting gammie:

I have a problem with pro-choice to me that means you can kill your baby . This not a choice. Now if they the pro-choice group would educate women about protecting their body and how to use Birth control I would support them too.

But killing a baby is not a choice!

I UNDERSTAND ABOUT RAPE this is why education is important. Go to a hospital and report the rape.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting gammie:

NO i would take it back to court it's freedom of speech.

Did you read the entire article?

Would you have a problem with Pro Choice plates?

cupomeow
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Choose Life always makes me think of Wham.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:07 PM
You'll never hear me tell anyone that I find it 'ok' to be a 'whore', you'll also never hear me call anyone a whore. I don't believe in slut shaming, it doesn't work. I also don't have a problem if a woman chooses to have multiple sexual partners....that's her choice, she's free to do whatever she wants to her body. I, too, agree with you that education is key in preventing std's and unwanted pregnancies...my dd and I have been talking about sex since she was old enough to ask where babies come from. I'm not teaching her to wait until marriage, I'm teaching her to wait until she's ready. You won't see me protesting sex ed in schools or trying to prevent free contraceptives...but I see one group that does and it's not the pro choicers, that's for damn sure.

Quoting gammie:

I have a problem with the word choice. To be able to have  a abortion that you could of prevented it's  not a choice.

Now if you use the word choice to prevent abortion, to tell young girls to wait to have sex, respect their body, use birth control if they choose to have sex.  Educating girls how their body works is what I will support but to teach them if you get a abortion because it not the right time to have a baby is wrong. This is why we tell them to wait to have sex, "if your bc does not work are you ready to have a baby"?

Girls are becoming more sexually active since this pro choice started. We want girls to be more informed not be whores, to be used by boys . I don't my daughter to be used just because everyone is doing it.  Your group tells girls it normal to have sex with everyone and if you get pregnant you just kill it. The proof is out there, look at reality TV, Jerry Springer, "who's your daddy" girls gone wild. If you respect yourself you would never do this shit!

Women on here putting their young girls on bc thinking a pregnancy it the worst thing that can happen. But forget to point out STD's you only get this by being sexually active and come with health risks.

It is normal to love someone and want sex, we need to teach our children that these feelings are normal. But you need to learn on how to push away and say not yet. If the time is right only you know and make sure your are protected.

We don't need to go from one extreme to another.

You don't have to be a nun or a whore, just  respect your body and life.

Quoting ashellbell:

Then why'd you say earlier that you did have a problem with it?

Quoting gammie:

No I would not have a problem. I do believe in true freedom and that means I may not like what some do.

Quoting jillianmayasmom:

So, you would have a problem with pro choice plates. Freedom of speech works both ways not just your way.

Quoting gammie:

I have a problem with pro-choice to me that means you can kill your baby . This not a choice. Now if they the pro-choice group would educate women about protecting their body and how to use Birth control I would support them too.

But killing a baby is not a choice!

I UNDERSTAND ABOUT RAPE this is why education is important. Go to a hospital and report the rape.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting gammie:

NO i would take it back to court it's freedom of speech.

Did you read the entire article?

Would you have a problem with Pro Choice plates?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Quoting jehosoba84:
By being opposed to 'choice' we are (in vain) trying to prevent others from sin. Christians may not always act like it, but many of us really do have your best interests at heart. And no, I do not mean your worldly intrests. I mean your souls. 
But your job is NOT to save others from sin. That's GOD's job... and know what?  He did it already. At a place called Golgotha. On a cross.
Our job is ONLY to spread the Good News that He did die to save us all from sin. The news will fall on deaf ears in some places, and it will flourish in others. What mattes is that you share it and let others do as they will with the knowledge.
The only soul that's truly your concern is your own. Jesus said it; remove the mote from your own eye first.
gdiamante
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jehosoba84:
 I agree with all of this. But at the same time I have to balance the fact that if I condone the sins of others, then I take on that sin myself.
Who says you're condoning? You're not.
If I vote to keep abortions legal, then I take on the sin of each of those abortions that occur as a result. If I tell someone "oh, it's not a sin to _______" then each time that person sins, i sin.

God only holds you responsible for YOUR actions. Not for anything else. You can tell people you're against abortion. You can tell them why. You cannot take away their right.

Considering yourself responsible for the actions of anyone else but yourself is puttiong yourself in the place of God. And that's a bigger sin.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Quoting jehosoba84:

Quoting parentalrights1:

Quoting jehosoba84:

it isn't about having plates in favor of abortion. It's the fact that people want to endorse the right to choose and leave the choice to the woman. Some will say the current plate endorses choice but it is just bs. And you are right not everyone believe in god and not everyone wants to carry pregnancies to term

By being opposed to 'choice' we are (in vain) trying to prevent others from sin. Christians may not always act like it, but many of us really do have your best interests at heart. And no, I do not mean your worldly intrests. I mean your souls. 

The truly sad fact is that we will always face opposition because you do not understand our position. You say "How can you in good conscience deny the freedom to choose to another person?" It's for the good of your soul. And like I explained in a previous reply, I will never be able to explain the joy and inner peace one has when you've accepted the will of God. Once you've done that, you no longer need the right to choose.  Believe it or not, we want everyone to experience this joy.

So why does God give YOU free will to choose your path to him but you feel you should take that free will from others? If you found God by His Grace, what makes you think you can force that onto another person?

You turn more away from God when you try to BE God.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)