Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
This was posted on my Facebook feed today.

"Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself."

Robert Green Ingersoll

Agree, disagree? I'm off to work and will be back later with my thoughts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:53 PM
Replies (31-40):
terpmama
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:14 AM
The way I would apply it, yes... The way the religious right extremist would apply it... No

See I imagine they would say things like "I don't believe abortion is right for me, therefore it's not right for anyone" or I don't believe same sex marriage is right for me, therefore not right for anyone"

I prefer the tolerance is putting up with people who hold different beliefs. And along those lines... If you can't trust me with a choice how can you trust me with a baby... Live and let live...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
terpmama
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:16 AM
It's not saying all are equal just that you have to put up with them... In what cases do you think it's okay to be descriminating?

Quoting EireLass:

"Tolerance is giving every other human being every right you claim for yourself"

All people are not equal. All people do not need to be tolerated. It's perfectly fine to be a discriminate person.

Quoting canadianmom1974:

What do you disagree with?

Quoting EireLass:

Nope.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:50 AM

You don't have to put up with anyone.

It's okay for to be discriminating against people who do things I do not agree with. I don't have to tolerate alot of people. And I've taught my kids to be very discriminate in choosing friends or surroundings.

Quoting terpmama:

It's not saying all are equal just that you have to put up with them... In what cases do you think it's okay to be descriminating?

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:53 AM

It doesn't say that at all. You're adding to it.

Quoting canadianmom1974:

I don't think that's what it's saying, that everyone and everything needs to be tolerated. I think it's saying, if you demand the right to marry whom you choose, why should Joe not get the same right to choose to marry Dave?

If you have the right to make your own medical decisions, why shouldn't Mary have the same right?

You (general) don't have to like their decisions, but it's not our place to deny them the same rights the rest of us have.

Quoting EireLass:

"Tolerance is giving every other human being every right you claim for yourself"

All people are not equal. All people do not need to be tolerated. It's perfectly fine to be a discriminate person.

Quoting canadianmom1974:

What do you disagree with?
Quoting EireLass:

Nope.

nickysmom71
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I tolerate people that I want to punch in the throat on a daily basis, but I do it to keep the peace in the workplace.

In a way the statement is right, and in a way, it's wrong.  Really think about it....you'll see.

terpmama
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Ahhh, i agree with you in your personal life but I was speaking of a more general tolerance (ie... People of differing religious beliefs than my own for example. I may not choose them individually as friends but I do tolerate their rights to believe as they wish as a group.)

Quoting EireLass:

You don't have to put up with anyone.

It's okay for to be discriminating against people who do things I do not agree with. I don't have to tolerate alot of people. And I've taught my kids to be very discriminate in choosing friends or surroundings.

Quoting terpmama:

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Is that really how you see it?  I think people who are anti-abortion should show more tolerance.  You certainly don't have to agree with it, and of course you don't have to have one, but you need to be smart enough to realize that in life, one size does NOT fit all.  What might be right for YOU (general you) is not right for all.  So be strong in what you believe, but tolerate that others are not you, and might believe differently.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Nice statement but it is too often in real life and on here that tolerance means you do things I agree with

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:18 AM

That doesn't sound like tolerance to me.  It sounds like equality.

Tolerance is accepting different points of views and lifestyles.  Plain and simple.  Doesn't mean you have to agree, but always think people who are tolerant live and let live.

Claire-Huxtable
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Yes. I agree people who are anti-abortion should have more tolerance. I also believe non-Christians should have more tolerance about Christians who aren't out there pushing laws based on their beliefs. But from my perspective it seems to be a one way street.

Please stop lecturing me like that. I am simply pointing out that people who claim to be tolerant are repeatedly intolerant, rude, and insulting to people with a different view.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Is that really how you see it?  I think people who are anti-abortion should show more tolerance.  You certainly don't have to agree with it, and of course you don't have to have one, but you need to be smart enough to realize that in life, one size does NOT fit all.  What might be right for YOU (general you) is not right for all.  So be strong in what you believe, but tolerate that others are not you, and might believe differently.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Nice statement but it is too often in real life and on here that tolerance means you do things I agree with

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Agree - tolerance is accepting that every other human being has the same rights as you do.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)