Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This was posted on my Facebook feed today.

"Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself."

Robert Green Ingersoll

Agree, disagree? I'm off to work and will be back later with my thoughts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:53 PM
Replies (41-50):
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:28 AM
It says giving others the rights you claim for yourself. What I mentioned are rights that people claim for themselves, but deny or try to deny to others. There are many others, but those are two that are constantly debated on here.

Quoting EireLass:

It doesn't say that at all. You're adding to it.

Quoting canadianmom1974:

I don't think that's what it's saying, that everyone and everything needs to be tolerated. I think it's saying, if you demand the right to marry whom you choose, why should Joe not get the same right to choose to marry Dave?

If you have the right to make your own medical decisions, why shouldn't Mary have the same right?

You (general) don't have to like their decisions, but it's not our place to deny them the same rights the rest of us have.

Quoting EireLass:

"Tolerance is giving every other human being every right you claim for yourself"

All people are not equal. All people do not need to be tolerated. It's perfectly fine to be a discriminate person.

Quoting canadianmom1974:

What do you disagree with?

Quoting EireLass:

Nope.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Sorry.  I didn't mean to come off lecturing you specifically.  It was more a general feeling of what I think tolerance means.

But I will note, I don't think tolerance = respect.  I will tolerate your religion (like I have a choice), but I certainly don't have to respect it.  I believe that I would be silent towards it as a means of tolerance.  But I certainly don't respect that belief.

Also, I think CM is specifically for debates/discussions/etc ... so people may "pick apart" your belief here, but it's not like they would do that randomly to some person they met on the street.  But that comes back to your definition of tolerant.  I don't think I have to like or respect something to tolerate it.  I will tolerate it based on the simple fact that I want people to tolerate me being an atheist.  But I'm ok if you don't respect me or like me.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Yes. I agree people who are anti-abortion should have more tolerance. I also believe non-Christians should have more tolerance about Christians who aren't out there pushing laws based on their beliefs. But from my perspective it seems to be a one way street.

Please stop lecturing me like that. I am simply pointing out that people who claim to be tolerant are repeatedly intolerant, rude, and insulting to people with a different view.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Is that really how you see it?  I think people who are anti-abortion should show more tolerance.  You certainly don't have to agree with it, and of course you don't have to have one, but you need to be smart enough to realize that in life, one size does NOT fit all.  What might be right for YOU (general you) is not right for all.  So be strong in what you believe, but tolerate that others are not you, and might believe differently.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Nice statement but it is too often in real life and on here that tolerance means you do things I agree with

Claire-Huxtable
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:36 AM
This is exactly what I am talking about. Justify their intolerance while saying others should be tolerant enough to deal with the constant rudeness and hate from certain posters over beliefs they have that they bring up for absolutely no reason.

The assumption that I could not respect or like an atheist is another way of showing your intolerance. Oh no! Someone is Christian so they aren't going to respect me. You just make an assumption before I even have a chance to make a judgment. But like I said, tolerance is too often a one way street on this board.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Sorry.  I didn't mean to come off lecturing you specifically.  It was more a general feeling of what I think tolerance means.

But I will note, I don't think tolerance = respect.  I will tolerate your religion (like I have a choice), but I certainly don't have to respect it.  I believe that I would be silent towards it as a means of tolerance.  But I certainly don't respect that belief.

Also, I think CM is specifically for debates/discussions/etc ... so people may "pick apart" your belief here, but it's not like they would do that randomly to some person they met on the street.  But that comes back to your definition of tolerant.  I don't think I have to like or respect something to tolerate it.  I will tolerate it based on the simple fact that I want people to tolerate me being an atheist.  But I'm ok if you don't respect me or like me.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Yes. I agree people who are anti-abortion should have more tolerance. I also believe non-Christians should have more tolerance about Christians who aren't out there pushing laws based on their beliefs. But from my perspective it seems to be a one way street.

Please stop lecturing me like that. I am simply pointing out that people who claim to be tolerant are repeatedly intolerant, rude, and insulting to people with a different view.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Is that really how you see it?  I think people who are anti-abortion should show more tolerance.  You certainly don't have to agree with it, and of course you don't have to have one, but you need to be smart enough to realize that in life, one size does NOT fit all.  What might be right for YOU (general you) is not right for all.  So be strong in what you believe, but tolerate that others are not you, and might believe differently.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Nice statement but it is too often in real life and on here that tolerance means you do things I agree with

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM

huh?  Did you mean that you *couldn't* like or respect or atheist?  I don't think that.  I don't know you enough to know what you may or may not think.  I'm not sure where you got that outta what I wrote.

I like and respect many people who believe in god or follow religion.  I don't like and respect many others.  But I tolerate their belief.  That's all I'm saying.  I expect people to tolerate my lack there of.  It's awesome if they like me and respect me too, but I don't demand that.  I just want tolerance.  So I will tolerate them.

I'm not really sure where you got the rest of it.  I never said that a christian can't respect an atheist.  I think you might have a little chip on your shoulder or something ... cause you read something that I never said.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

This is exactly what I am talking about. Justify their intolerance while saying others should be tolerant enough to deal with the constant rudeness and hate from certain posters over beliefs they have that they bring up for absolutely no reason.

The assumption that I could respect or like an atheist is another way of showing your intolerance. Oh no! Someone is Christian so they aren't going to respect me. You just make an assumption before I even have a chance to make a judgment. But like I said, tolerance is too often a one way street on this board.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting pansyprincess:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Claire-Huxtable
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:45 AM
No chip. Just pointing out the truth. Some of those who scream over and over again about others being intolerant of their beliefs have no problem being exactly that to those they condemn.

Quoting pansyprincess:

huh?  Did you mean that you *couldn't* like or respect or atheist?  I don't think that.  I don't know you enough to know what you may or may not think.  I'm not sure where you got that outta what I wrote.

I like and respect many people who believe in god or follow religion.  I don't like and respect many others.  But I tolerate their belief.  That's all I'm saying.  I expect people to tolerate my lack there of.  It's awesome if they like me and respect me too, but I don't demand that.  I just want tolerance.  So I will tolerate them.

I'm not really sure where you got the rest of it.  I never said that a christian can't respect an atheist.  I think you might have a little chip on your shoulder or something ... cause you read something that I never said.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

The assumption that I could respect or like an atheist is another way of showing your intolerance. Oh no! Someone is Christian so they aren't going to respect me. You just make an assumption before I even have a chance to make a judgment. But like I said, tolerance is too often a one way street on this board.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting pansyprincess:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I like that.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:46 PM

False.  Tolerance already exists and is constitutionally protected.  Every competent adult has exactly the same rights.

Tolerance does not mean whole-hearted embracing of that which you find unacceptable and today, "tolerance" is suppoesd to mean "enthusiastic approval". 

littlelamb303
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:24 PM

It depends. IMO there are some that should not be tolerated.  Not every human being is deserving (child or animal abusers , drug/alcohol abusers who refuse help, but are mooching off the tax payers) just a few examples of what should NOT be tolerated

LindaClement
by Linda on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I disagree.

Tolerance is 'putting up with things no one will let you beat into the ground.'

Acceptance is allowing everyone else all the rights they want.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:38 PM
Quoting canadianmom1974:

"Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself."

Agree, disagree?

Disagree.

The concept of tolerance comes from engineering.

Suppose you are an engineer building a train tunnel, and you've been told that the trains will be 2 meters high.   How high do you build the roof of the tunnel?  Do you assume that the bits of the system the other engineers are building will be perfect?  Or do you take into account human error and assume that some train trucks might be a little bit higher than 2 meters?

The amount of imperfect that can happen before your design stops functioning is known as the tolerance.  It is similar to leeway in sailing.

It is useful as a metaphor for social systems.  The amount of imperfections that people allow each other before going to the legal system for remedy is how tolerant the society is.   An intolerant society is one that requires people to stick very closely to an agreed standard of behaviour, with little deviation from it.

In engineering a certain amount of tolerance is a virtue but a requirement for too much probably implies poor design.  To get good performance, a balance much be achieved between having so little tolerance that the first bit of grit will cause the gear wheels to jam, and so much tolerance that standards are not as high as they could be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured