Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Meggings?

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:51 PM
  • 43 Replies

Leggings for men: do you like my 'meggings'?

In life, one tries hard not to leave the house wearing only underwear. Particularly in winter. Yet such is my predicament one freezing Monday in December, as I stand in the chill winds of King's Cross, London, wearing little more than a pair of tights. Technically, they're not even tights. They are male leggings, or in the parlance de nos jours, "meggings" – they are to leggings what mankinis are to bikinis. (Quite why leggings have to be gendered in this way is a moot point. We all have legs – boys and girls. It's not like ladies' leggings are called feggings.)

Meggings, the fashion press alleges, are the next male trend: the Telegraph says they are "taking the fashion world by storm" – a storm that has already, according to the Mail, taken the whole city of New York. Metaphorically speaking. Now, we hear, said storm is heading for Britain (Uniqlo and Nordstrom are among the brands already stocking them). It is in testing this outlandish claim that I find myself shivering next to Regent's Canal, wearing a pair of black, skin-tight leggings emblazoned with the brand Boy London's logo. Can these ball-crunching jodhpur variants really be the next thing in male fashion, I ask Albus, a balding builder from Lithuania?

Nah. "I don't like them," says Albus. "I like more traditional designs. Jeans. Combat trousers. Military stuff. It's a personal choice."

"It wouldn't be my bag, to be honest," agrees Dave Wells, a sound engineer. "I don't do that whole skinny-jeans-and-plimsoll thing." Cripes. Unlikely as it seems, could the fashion press have got this one wrong? In a panic, I ring up GQ's fashion guru, Robert Johnston. "They are out there," he says. "It dates back to super-skinny jeans, and this is the obvious extension of that." Justin Bieber, for instance, recently sported a stripy skin-tight number, while Russell Brand has been wearing them for years. But, Johnston cautions, they are not for everyone. "You've got to be quite young," he says. "If you've got a bit of a belly, it's not going to look great. You'll look like an avocado on matchsticks."

Still, it has clearly been a hit at Selfridge's. "We sold out of the Boy London leggings within the first week of stocking them, and have since had to re-order five times." Versace long-johns and Givenchy's leggings have apparently proved almost as popular. And to be fair, I do find some tentative praise on the streets. "They'd look good on someone with beefy legs," says Christian, smoking round the back of his office. "My legs aren't as good-looking as, for example, yours."

Buoyed, I bounce over to St Martin's art school, and within moments I'm chatting to some fashion students. My kinda people. "I like them," says Antonella Volpe, "they look fit."

But for the lack of pockets, and the fact I had to shove my phone down my pants, perhaps I could wear these more often. They are, after all, quite warm. But then it starts: "I think maybe you need a bigger sweater," counters Ilse Jara. "I'm not sure about the print," she adds. "They're not for my boyfriend."

"Not for my brother," says Antonella.

And, concludes, Ilse: "You don't look so masculine."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/fashion/shortcuts/2012/dec/10/leggings-for-men-meggings-trend

by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
survivorinohio
by René on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:53 PM

lol I am going to go find a picture bwahahaha

survivorinohio
by René on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Yep, pretty funny!

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

punky3175
by Punky on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I HATE SKINNY PANTS ON MEN!

Why? Just why?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Only if they pair it with a nice blousey tunic and a smart belt!

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Um ew!!!!

Quoting survivorinohio:

Yep, pretty funny!

wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Well... as should be clear from my screenname, I worked various Renaissance faires for years. I have seen my share of kilts and tights. Some guys rocked it, others not so much. 

Generally speaking, men do not wear shirts that cover their crotches. That will result in much traumatizing of the general public. 

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:59 PM

This!

Quoting punky3175:

I HATE SKINNY PANTS ON MEN!

Why? Just why?

kattu
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:00 PM
Ahahahahahahahahahaha
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Time and place.  I love seeing guys in kilts but I really don't think men should wear tights.

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Well... as should be clear from my screenname, I worked various Renaissance faires for years. I have seen my share of kilts and tights. Some guys rocked it, others not so much. 

Generally speaking, men do not wear shirts that cover their crotches. That will result in much traumatizing of the general public. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow.

If that rocks their world, or otherwise, be my guest.  But please know I am going to either laugh or ewwwwwwwwwww at you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)