Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Whooping cough

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:45 PM
  • 33 Replies

In November there was a case of Whooping Couch in my school district.  Now about a month later there are 5 cases and 1 is a teacher.  The original case was from a child who did not receive the required vaccines to enter school. 

If it is required to vaccinate to enter school (religious resons exempt) then how did the child get enrolled in school? 

"Be the change you want to see in the world"  -Gandhi

by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:47 PM
3 moms liked this

Each state has different criteria in terms of vaccines. Some are much more liberal than others.

Adults need to get their boosters. Pertussis is a nasty illness and readily kills infants-

redbutterfly666
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:49 PM

because the parents probably filled out a religious reason(idk what its called)form and are actually religious, OR they lied and just didnt want to vaccinate their kid and filled out the religious reason form

katy_kay08
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't you answer your own question in your post?  

They probably either had a medical or religious exemption.  

Lurion
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Just curious--if the other four were vaccinated, why weren't their vaccines effective? 

Do you know for sure that #1 wasn't vaccinated or could that be conjecture/rumor?

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Why does everyone know these parents and child's business in the first place?  If they signed an exemption waiver, no one should know that but the school.

867-5309
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I probably should have clarified...I know that there is religious exemption if you show proof that you have been an active member of the religious organization and it's ideals.  I was told from my school nurse that NY does not allow medical exemptions.  I am just trying to figure out how the child got in school.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Don't you answer your own question in your post?  

They probably either had a medical or religious exemption.  

867-5309
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:10 PM

This particular parent of the first case is very active in the community and has stated publicly that she does not vax.  I inquired with her a few times how she enrolled her child in school and she never gave a real answer.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Why does everyone know these parents and child's business in the first place?  If they signed an exemption waiver, no one should know that but the school.

867-5309
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:13 PM

The parent of the first case publicly have said they do not vax.  I do not know about the other kids.  The teacher was told that her vaccination had most likely worn off.  She was not required to get an adult booster at any point. 

Quoting Lurion:

Just curious--if the other four were vaccinated, why weren't their vaccines effective? 

Do you know for sure that #1 wasn't vaccinated or could that be conjecture/rumor?

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Religious exemption may as well be philosophical exemption.  No school can force a parent to vaccinate.

Lurion
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Ok so basically you have:

• One non-vaccinated child who caught it from somewhere--could have been from a vaccinated child in her gymastics class?
  • 4 vaccinated children who caught it from somewhere--could have been the non-vaccinated child who is taking the blame for the entire outbreak, or could have been a vaccinated child from their gymnastics class?

Do I understand this right?  

Quoting 867-5309:

This particular parent of the first case is very active in the community and has stated publicly that she does not vax.  I inquired with her a few times how she enrolled her child in school and she never gave a real answer.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)