Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

12 tips on How to bottle nurse a baby. You don't have to breastfeed to bond.

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you think these tips are helpful to new moms? Did you bottle feed your baby this way

Options:

I think they're helpful but I didn't bottle feed my baby that way.

Yes, I think they're great tips and I fed my baby that way.

I think the tips are irrelevent. I have/had no interest in making my bottle feeding experiance more like breastfeeding.

I breastfed but wanted to vote anyways :-)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 39

View Results

If you are not able to breastfeed, or if you are feeding your baby EBM (expressed breast milk) from a bottle, you can still recreate some of the bonding experience of breastfeeding by bottle-nursing. Other people can use this method with your baby if they are watching them for you, but it's best if you are your baby's primary source of milk, just as if you were breastfeeding
.Bottle Nurse a Baby

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:33 AM
Replies (21-30):
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:36 AM

what is bonding?  someone explain this to me please.

horseap
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:55 AM

sealed lipIt will get me nowhere to and #1 makes me want to bash my head against a wall!

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
jakesmom323
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I think this is a good post:) I EBF for 1.5 months then noticed that I was frazzled, fizzled, and burnt out! I was the only one that could feed him and my husband hadn't bonded with the baby at all. I pumped and supplemented and he looks at his daddy as if it was me now. They bonded so well and it was a great thing for us. I'm happier to not be so tied down and can enjoy both my children more to doing both. I feel bonded with a bottle just as much as BF and I really believe in eye contact during. If you enjoy the process, they will too;) Great post.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:18 AM

With my ff babies, I did most of these...not really the skin to skin, or using a cover though-that one seems silly. 

SLTmom
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:33 AM

I nursed and occasionally my dh gave the kids bottles of pumped milk.

he didnt need as list to tell him how to feed his children.  It comes naturally to loving parents.  I think moms who bottle feed naturally know how to lovingly feed their kids.

breast or bottle, cuddling and paying attention to the infant is what is important.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:51 AM

This basically breaks down what moms have been doing by instinct for decades! I don't like the bashing on the bottle propping though, sometimes it really IS necessary for an emergency, multiples, etc. 

Aamy
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Gee this is exactly everything I did and didn't need to be told to do it. Common sense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I don't like the term "bottle-nursing"...i don't know...seems kind of corny. Other than that, i think those are excellent suggestions although i'm not sure the comparison to breast feeding is helpful. I think making that comparison is could be perceived as a value judgement.

I think it would be better just to stress the importance of body to body contact and what role it plays in an infants social-emtional development.

Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:09 AM

isn't this all just instinct for a mother

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:46 AM

While I have common sense, I was lacking in "mother's intuition". I have always been a bit of a tomboy. So I did not really have contact with babies until I had one of my own. I didn't play with doll babies as a child either. I did breastfeed though, but the above tips are helpful, especially to women who are moms like myself. Ones who weren't really interested in babies until they had their own. I'm still not overly enthused about other people's babies or kids still. We do need tips sometimes. You can see the same in the animal world. Some animals are wonderful mothers, some are not. Fortunately, for most humans, those of us who weren't born great mothers can improve with helpful advice.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I did all of the above... Thought that was just "normal"...

Why does everyone need "instructions" nowadays. It's called Mother's Intuition... Natural Instincts...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN