Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

12 tips on How to bottle nurse a baby. You don't have to breastfeed to bond.

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you think these tips are helpful to new moms? Did you bottle feed your baby this way

Options:

I think they're helpful but I didn't bottle feed my baby that way.

Yes, I think they're great tips and I fed my baby that way.

I think the tips are irrelevent. I have/had no interest in making my bottle feeding experiance more like breastfeeding.

I breastfed but wanted to vote anyways :-)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 39

View Results

If you are not able to breastfeed, or if you are feeding your baby EBM (expressed breast milk) from a bottle, you can still recreate some of the bonding experience of breastfeeding by bottle-nursing. Other people can use this method with your baby if they are watching them for you, but it's best if you are your baby's primary source of milk, just as if you were breastfeeding
.Bottle Nurse a Baby

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:33 AM
Replies (31-40):
lga1965
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Its possible to hold your baby in such as way that he is close to your breast,being cuddled and being bottle fed . That is how I did it. I never propped a bottle or fed my babies while they sat in a baby seat. I made sure that the room was quiet and calm while feeding.I always held them close and burped them gently and held them as long as I could. They loved to be cuddled and held. They were very healthy and happy and calm. My middle child had colic for a few weeks but once that ended, she was the happiest baby ever. I think HOW you feed them, not what you feed them is vitally important. If babies are breast fed hurriedly,quickly or while you are walking around,in a baby Bjorn,whatever, they don't get a feeling of closeness and calmness. When I breast fed my third baby, it wasn't common to pump. But I would have pumped and stored a few bottles for his Dad to feed him while I went to the grocery store,for example, if I had been aware of the option.( This was in the late 1960's when there was not much information shared.....)

Joqui
by Joqui on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I breast fed my son and bottle fed him ... my (ex) husband was very against me pulling out my boobies in public at the time so it was just easiest to pull out the formula ... I regret a lot of things I did with my son as a baby... I could have bonded with him more but I would go to my MIL's a lot and let her feed him ... my dd was complete opposite she was allergic to soy milk formula and would projectile vomit reg. formula and soy milk so the only choice with her with breastfeeding. It was nice, i do feel more of a bond with her (don't get me wrong my son is still a mama's boy even though my ex will tell you differently).

wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the "I breastfed and wanted to vote" option!

I always breastfed for as long as I could, but invariably ended up with formula at some point before they were a year old. Ain't no shame in it.

I don't why it's called common sense, when it seems so uncommon.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:59 AM

You're welcome,lol.

And you're right! No shame at all!

Thank you! ^^^^ When I had my first dd, I had no clue that I could bottle feed like this.

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Thanks for the "I breastfed and wanted to vote" option!

I always breastfed for as long as I could, but invariably ended up with formula at some point before they were a year old. Ain't no shame in it.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Sorry those tips just seem like common sense, I was unable to breastfeed and the bond is just a tight with my kids

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM

What will get you nowhere? And according to the poll and my own experiance, some moms didn't/don't feed thier babies that way.

Quoting horseap:

sealed lipIt will get me nowhere to and #1 makes me want to bash my head against a wall!

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:14 AM

The emotional and physical attachment occurring between a parent or parent figure, especially a mother, and offspring, that usually begins at birth and is the basis for further emotional affiliation.

Quoting turtle68:

what is bonding?  someone explain this to me please.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Thank you :-)

That's great for you. Your son got the benifets of breastmilk, a happy mommy, and a relationship with daddy. You can't ask for more than that!

Quoting jakesmom323:

I think this is a good post:) I EBF for 1.5 months then noticed that I was frazzled, fizzled, and burnt out! I was the only one that could feed him and my husband hadn't bonded with the baby at all. I pumped and supplemented and he looks at his daddy as if it was me now. They bonded so well and it was a great thing for us. I'm happier to not be so tied down and can enjoy both my children more to doing both. I feel bonded with a bottle just as much as BF and I really believe in eye contact during. If you enjoy the process, they will too;) Great post.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:18 AM

The cover makes sense for any baby ff or bf. The only time i ever used a cover was when my babies were distracted. The cover helped create a calm peaceful nursing environment.

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

With my ff babies, I did most of these...not really the skin to skin, or using a cover though-that one seems silly. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Quoting paganbaby:

Despite prevalent attitudes today, there's no shame in bottle-nursing. Choosing whether to breastfeed or bottle-nurse is a personal decision and no one should be able to sway you from your decision. Stay positive about your decision to bottle nurse.

I agree with this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)