Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

12 tips on How to bottle nurse a baby. You don't have to breastfeed to bond.

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you think these tips are helpful to new moms? Did you bottle feed your baby this way

Options:

I think they're helpful but I didn't bottle feed my baby that way.

Yes, I think they're great tips and I fed my baby that way.

I think the tips are irrelevent. I have/had no interest in making my bottle feeding experiance more like breastfeeding.

I breastfed but wanted to vote anyways :-)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 39

View Results

If you are not able to breastfeed, or if you are feeding your baby EBM (expressed breast milk) from a bottle, you can still recreate some of the bonding experience of breastfeeding by bottle-nursing. Other people can use this method with your baby if they are watching them for you, but it's best if you are your baby's primary source of milk, just as if you were breastfeeding
.Bottle Nurse a Baby

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:33 AM
Replies (41-50):
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Maybe, but bottle propping does come with dangers and shouldn't be used excessively. As for multiples, I'd suggest using one of these instead of propping 

Quoting Woodbabe:

This basically breaks down what moms have been doing by instinct for decades! I don't like the bashing on the bottle propping though, sometimes it really IS necessary for an emergency, multiples, etc. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Quoting paganbaby:

Hold your baby in the same positions you would if you were nursing her. Get skin-to-skin as much as possible, as often as possible. Your baby needs to benefit from your warm skin, your breathing and your heartbeat. Be sure to include extra snuggling and skin-to-skin contact throughout the day when you're not feeding the baby

Makes sense to me.  This is what I did with my girls.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting paganbaby:

Despite prevalent attitudes today, there's no shame in bottle-nursing. Choosing whether to breastfeed or bottle-nurse is a personal decision and no one should be able to sway you from your decision. Stay positive about your decision to bottle nurse.

I agree with this.

It can't be said enough.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Quoting paganbaby:

Take your time and get comfortable with pillows or a Boppy, just as you would if you were nursing. You can even prop a small baby comfortably on a pillow so she is facing you, and then you have a free hand to touch her. Let her play with your hands, your fingers, your face. Gently discourage her from playing with the hard, plastic bottle by offering your soft, warm skin.

Yep.  Although the propping of the baby was not always the way to go when they were quite little, obviously.  I preferred to hold them.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Quoting paganbaby:

Be sure to always hold the bottle at the right angle - every bottle system is different, so follow the instructions that come with the bottles.

All I know is I made sure she was comfortable and had no issues when eating.  It all worked, every time.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Quoting paganbaby:

Don't rush things. Let the baby eat at his or her own pace. Sometimes you have to take the nipple out a bit and let the baby "catch up" on swallowing, much like during breastfeeding let-down. Don't force-feed the baby. S/he will start and stop on their own. Be patient. Your baby will let you know when s/he is done.

Yep.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Not every woman was born with strong maternal instinct like you. There's no shame in learning.

Quoting Aamy:

Gee this is exactly everything I did and didn't need to be told to do it. Common sense.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I am getting tired of quoting each one!  I didn't look to see how many there were prior to going on my quoting spree. lol

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting paganbaby:

Don't rush things. Let the baby eat at his or her own pace. Sometimes you have to take the nipple out a bit and let the baby "catch up" on swallowing, much like during breastfeeding let-down. Don't force-feed the baby. S/he will start and stop on their own. Be patient. Your baby will let you know when s/he is done.

Yep.

I hate it when I see moms saying, "Come, you have to finish the bottle!" Not wanting to waste formula :-/

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Just 12,lol.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I am getting tired of quoting each one!  I didn't look to see how many there were prior to going on my quoting spree. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)