Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Ever-Thinning Line Between Church and State

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:48 AM
  • 65 Replies

Frank Bruni on the Ever-Thinning Line Between Church and State

December 11, 2012 By 11 Comments

The New York TimesFrank Bruni writes in today's paper about our country's "God Glut," referencing Blake Page and Mikey Weinstein in the process:

Every year around this time, many conservatives rail against the "war on Christmas," using a few dismantled nativities to suggest that America muffles worship.

Hardly. We have God on our dollars, God in our pledge of allegiance, God in our Congress. Last year, the House took the time to vote, 396 to 9, in favor of a resolution affirming "In God We Trust" as our national motto. How utterly needless, unless I missed some insurrectionist initiative to have that motto changed to "Buck Up, Beelzebub" or "Surrender Dorothy."

We have God in our public schools, a few of which cling to creationism, and we have major presidential candidates - Rick Perry, Michele Bachmann, Rick Santorum - who use God in general and Christianity in particular as cornerstones of their campaigns. God's initial absence from the Democratic Party platform last summer stirred more outrage among Americans than the slaughter in Syria will ever provoke.

God's wishes are cited in efforts to deny abortions to raped women and civil marriages to same-sex couples. In our country God doesn't merely have a place at the table. He or She is the host of the prayer-heavy dinner party.

Bruni fails to mention one of the most damning pieces of evidence in favor of his argument: That there is not a single member of the upcoming Congress who is openly non-religious. If that doesn't say we have a "God" problem in our politics, I don't know what does.

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:08 AM
8 moms liked this

Surrender Dorothy printed on the money would actually be more accurate.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I got a good giggle out of this

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM
3 moms liked this

I'm writing "Surrender Dorothy" on all the money I have. 

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:34 AM
2 moms liked this

There is no war on Christmas.

Just like there is no Church of America that people have to belong to or else.

Did Perry, Bachmann or Santorum get the nomination?  No.

If the majority of Americans believe in God and identify with being Christian, then they are probably going to vote Christian.  It is what it is.  Some one's religion isn't my first thought when voting, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't at least a small factor.  The people we elect are supposed to represent us, so I wouldn't vote to someone who was against my religion.

You can believe or not believe in anything you want.  This "war" on "insert the religion or non religion here" thing is getting old.

parentalrights1
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Get over it! This is a Christian nation and even if it wasnt, God is real whether you believe it or not so everyone needs to be taught about God and christian values!
IhartU
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Quoting parentalrights1:

Get over it! This is a Christian nation and even if it wasnt, God is real whether you believe it or not so everyone needs to be taught about God and christian values!

You're joking right?

Sekirei
by Sevrsaxhtharxxa on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:48 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting parentalrights1:

No.. your god is not real.. at least, to me. 

and I want my son to love all, so christian values will not be taught to him... period

parentalrights1
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:48 AM
Quoting IhartU:

our salvation is no joke! The godless and no christian threaten all our very souls just by having influence! Think of our children and children's children! If God and Christianity cease to exist in this nation and atheism prevails, then all future generations can kiss salvation goodbye. This is so much more important than freedom of religion
parentalrights1
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Quoting Sekirei:

ERMAGHERD no you didn't!
parentalrights1
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:53 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting IhartU:

yes im joking :/
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)