Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should they be making more than the working man?/"Poor" Households Getting $168 in Welfare Per Day from Taxpayers

Posted by   + Show Post

It's official. Taxpayers are no longer simply helping the poor, they're subsidizing the lives of welfare recipients at a better rate than their own. The Senate Budget Committee has released a report showing households living below the poverty line and receiving welfare payments are raking in the equivalent of $168 per day in benefits which come in the form of food stamps, housing, childcare, healthcare and more. The median household income in 2011 was $50,054, totaling $137.13 per day. The worst part? Welfare payments are equivalent to making $30 per hour for 40 hours a week. The median wage for non-welfare recipients is $25 per hour but because they pay taxes, unlike welfare recipients, the wage is bumped down to $21 per hour. From the report:

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Replies (21-30):
katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I lve in Alabama, I know what it is like to see a population that relies heavily on aid.  It's sad that her honesty keeps her from getting a large amount.

Quoting gammie:

she is honest I do know people who lie to get as much as they can. Like I said when you live in a area (LA) with government slaves you see a lot of shit.

Quoting katzmeow726:

I find that hard.to believe. I have family member on welfare (she is in school full time to be a nurse and is almost done) and her amount comes out to about 10k a year for her and her two kids. She gets some monthly help from a lawsuit (wrongful death for.her dh). But not much... Where is it that people get 50k in welfare....she must be in the wrong state

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
tooptimistic
by Kelly on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

What about the working poor who get benifits who are getting FS or healthcare.  (which in most people on PA)   They are working men/women.

Why is social security added in there?  My grandparents/ parents PAID into that, its not public assistance!!

I am not sure these are good numbers.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think the article included people like your friend. I think it was just referring about the most extreme cases. I could be wrong though. 

Quoting katzmeow726:

She doesn't get housing benefits or daycare benefits, since her kids are in school and she is done with classes by the time they are home, or her dad watches hem.  Her insurance is a student and dependent program through school, and the amount I stated a year included her stamp amount.  Also, before anyone asks, I only know how much she gets because i helped her set up a budget.  I do one that helps me plan about a year in advance, and helped her make a similar one.

So that amount I quoted you included everything she gets. 

Quoting smalltowngal:

It says it includes adminstrative costs. Also, if you have someone getting housing benefits, dayare benefits, healthcare benefits, foodstamps, etc, then it adds up quickly. 

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Someone mentioned the Administrative cost. I think that is where the discrepancy comes from. That seems kind of silly to add on.

Especially since adding it to every welfare recipient paints a completely inaccurate picture. Well depending on how they do the math. But since the Data is missing it is hard to really say.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

So far the only source I can find for this is the original Weekly Standard piece.

I can't find where it got this data. 

Quoting brookiecookie87:

I am curious to see how these numbers were put together myself.

Because I have seen people who make so little they can afford nearly every PA program out there and I know people who make 50K-So strange the author doesn't link to the Data.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

I have yet to see the actual data behind this claim.  Anybody find it?

I also think they are lumping in medicaide.

................because their are no administrative costs.....................          eye rolling

I didn't say there was no administrative cost. I said applying it to every person on Welfare paints an inaccurate picture (Depending on how they did it).

And as someone else pointed out there is a LONG range of PA programs and if they are applying them all to everyone it is pretty silly .

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

gammie
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I'm sure in every state is different. High democrat states will give more. I lived in LA and I did see alot of wast one of the reason we moved.

Here in CO they have HUD (I think that is the name)homes very small but very nice and they make sure a person who get one is working and cares of making a better life for their family.

And the family has to help built the home.

Great program.

My taxes can go to anyone who is working to get out and do better.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:55 PM

What is the CRS?  The OP says Senate Budget Committee.

Quoting gammie:

For fiscal year 2011, CRS identified roughly 80 overlapping federal means-tested welfare programs that together represented the single largest budget item in 2011—more than the nation spends on Social Security, Medicare, or national defense. The total amount spent on these federal programs, when taken together with approximately $280 billion in state contributions, amounted to roughly $1 trillion. Nearly 95 percent of these costs come from four categories of spending: medical assistance, cash assistance, food assistance, and social / housing assistance. Under the President’s FY13 budget proposal, means-tested spending would increase an additional 30 percent over the next four years.

Photobucket

By all means Mr. President, let's raise taxes on people already paying the majority of the taxes because clearly they aren't "paying their fair share" to subsize the lives of others already.

UPDATE: The report does not say that every household receiving welfare benefits totals $168 but specifically refers to those receiving benefits and living below the poverty line. Also, it should be pointed out the $168 includes all costs incurred by the federal government to deliver benefits, including administrative costs.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:56 PM
2 moms liked this

Look at the list of services they examined on page 2 of this thread.

Pell grants, school lunches, Indian health and education, earned income tax credit...

This is a very, very misleading story.

Quoting tooptimistic:

What about the working poor who get benifits who are getting FS or healthcare.  (which in most people on PA)   They are working men/women.

Why is social security added in there?  My grandparents/ parents PAID into that, its not public assistance!!

I am not sure these are good numbers.

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Where in the world do they get these numbers?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Congressional Research Service

Quoting LauraKW:

What is the CRS?  The OP says Senate Budget Committee.

Quoting gammie:

For fiscal year 2011, CRS identified roughly 80 overlapping federal means-tested welfare programs that together represented the single largest budget item in 2011—more than the nation spends on Social Security, Medicare, or national defense. The total amount spent on these federal programs, when taken together with approximately $280 billion in state contributions, amounted to roughly $1 trillion. Nearly 95 percent of these costs come from four categories of spending: medical assistance, cash assistance, food assistance, and social / housing assistance. Under the President’s FY13 budget proposal, means-tested spending would increase an additional 30 percent over the next four years.

Photobucket

By all means Mr. President, let's raise taxes on people already paying the majority of the taxes because clearly they aren't "paying their fair share" to subsize the lives of others already.

UPDATE: The report does not say that every household receiving welfare benefits totals $168 but specifically refers to those receiving benefits and living below the poverty line. Also, it should be pointed out the $168 includes all costs incurred by the federal government to deliver benefits, including administrative costs.

gammie
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:01 PM

check out a video I'm putting up.

Quoting katzmeow726:

I lve in Alabama, I know what it is like to see a population that relies heavily on aid.  It's sad that her honesty keeps her from getting a large amount.

Quoting gammie:

she is honest I do know people who lie to get as much as they can. Like I said when you live in a area (LA) with government slaves you see a lot of shit.

Quoting katzmeow726:

I find that hard.to believe. I have family member on welfare (she is in school full time to be a nurse and is almost done) and her amount comes out to about 10k a year for her and her two kids. She gets some monthly help from a lawsuit (wrongful death for.her dh). But not much... Where is it that people get 50k in welfare....she must be in the wrong state

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN