Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should they be making more than the working man?/"Poor" Households Getting $168 in Welfare Per Day from Taxpayers

Posted by   + Show Post

It's official. Taxpayers are no longer simply helping the poor, they're subsidizing the lives of welfare recipients at a better rate than their own. The Senate Budget Committee has released a report showing households living below the poverty line and receiving welfare payments are raking in the equivalent of $168 per day in benefits which come in the form of food stamps, housing, childcare, healthcare and more. The median household income in 2011 was $50,054, totaling $137.13 per day. The worst part? Welfare payments are equivalent to making $30 per hour for 40 hours a week. The median wage for non-welfare recipients is $25 per hour but because they pay taxes, unlike welfare recipients, the wage is bumped down to $21 per hour. From the report:

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Replies (31-40):
jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Why are they dividing the total of 83 different services between the number of families that live below the poverty line?  And where did they get that number?

Many of these services are used by people above the poverty line.

Makes no sense.

gammie
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

These are the kind of people who get money and do lie.

stormcris
by Christy on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:03 PM

It is once again playing with numbers and including information or not to get the desired results to justify a position it seems.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Look at the list of services they examined on page 2 of this thread.

Pell grants, school lunches, Indian health and education, earned income tax credit...

This is a very, very misleading story.

Quoting tooptimistic:

What about the working poor who get benifits who are getting FS or healthcare.  (which in most people on PA)   They are working men/women.

Why is social security added in there?  My grandparents/ parents PAID into that, its not public assistance!!

I am not sure these are good numbers.

Would you prefer to be barbecue or teriyaki?
Claire-Huxtable
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

why shouldn't school lunches count as welfare?   My children would not qualify for free or reduced lunches.

mustbeGRACE
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Someone mentioned the Administrative cost. I think that is where the discrepancy comes from. That seems kind of silly to add on.

Especially since adding it to every welfare recipient paints a completely inaccurate picture. Well depending on how they do the math. But since the Data is missing it is hard to really say.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

So far the only source I can find for this is the original Weekly Standard piece.

I can't find where it got this data. 

Quoting brookiecookie87:

I am curious to see how these numbers were put together myself.

Because I have seen people who make so little they can afford nearly every PA program out there and I know people who make 50K-So strange the author doesn't link to the Data.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

I have yet to see the actual data behind this claim.  Anybody find it?

I also think they are lumping in medicaide.

................because their are no administrative costs.....................          eye rolling

I didn't say there was no administrative cost. I said applying it to every person on Welfare paints an inaccurate picture (Depending on how they did it).

And as someone else pointed out there is a LONG range of PA programs and if they are applying them all to everyone it is pretty silly .

No it is not.

It is accounting for the TRUE cost of implementing the program.

gammie
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

The whole point to cut out the people who are lying they sit at home and doing nothing! This should only go to help  the poor, the sick, and the military that come back and need our help.

This is not about you who just need fs it is about the abuser who is stealing from the who really need it.

There is a lot of money being wasted on young lazy people that is a fact!!

You should want to clean up the system not be so protective of the abuser.

Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I wonder how many people who collect some sort of subsidy actually collect the whole gamut.  I know that in my state there is a very long waiting list for subsidized housing, and very few who need it ever make it to the top of the list.  How many collect childcare, another program with a waiting list?  How large are the households who are collecting $168 per day?  It seems logical that the only way for these numbers to work is if the author cherry picked who to include in it.  Not to say that some are able to do this, but I have a feeling that it is an extremely small percentage of those who are collecting some sort of subsidy. 

mustbeGRACE
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Look at the list of services they examined on page 2 of this thread.

Pell grants, school lunches, Indian health and education, earned income tax credit...

This is a very, very misleading story.

Quoting tooptimistic:

What about the working poor who get benifits who are getting FS or healthcare.  (which in most people on PA)   They are working men/women.

Why is social security added in there?  My grandparents/ parents PAID into that, its not public assistance!!

I am not sure these are good numbers.

They are each a form of welfare.

notdown4games
by Shane on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM
Where is that? The people I know on welfare are working ft. even with benefits it comes out to being about 6 dollars per hour
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:18 PM

But it, and some of the posters, implied everyone.  

I just don't think it's fair to include people like her.  She's an honest person doing what she can to set things up for her family.  I just hate to see her bashed for something outside of her control.  Not saying you were lol, just that a lot of people tend to do that.  She's had a rough year.  I just don't want to see her lumped in with those abusing the system, KWIM?  

Quoting smalltowngal:

I don't think the article included people like your friend. I think it was just referring about the most extreme cases. I could be wrong though. 

Quoting katzmeow726:

She doesn't get housing benefits or daycare benefits, since her kids are in school and she is done with classes by the time they are home, or her dad watches hem.  Her insurance is a student and dependent program through school, and the amount I stated a year included her stamp amount.  Also, before anyone asks, I only know how much she gets because i helped her set up a budget.  I do one that helps me plan about a year in advance, and helped her make a similar one.

So that amount I quoted you included everything she gets. 

Quoting smalltowngal:

It says it includes adminstrative costs. Also, if you have someone getting housing benefits, dayare benefits, healthcare benefits, foodstamps, etc, then it adds up quickly. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured