Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

New Hampshire police Taser Chinese woman who tried to buy too many iPhones

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM
  • 131 Replies

Xiaojie Li got shocked with a Taser after trying to buy iPhone's as the Apple Store

Police in Nashua, New Hampshire say they were forced to use a Taser on a 44-year-old Chinese woman who does not speak English after she was told to leave an Apple Store because she was trying to buy too many iPhones.

Through a translator, Xiaojie Li told WMUR that she had bought two iPhones from the Pheasant Lane Mall Apple Store on Friday and returned on Tuesday to buy more to send to her family in China.

“The manager of the Apple Store came and told her something, but she didn’t understand,” Li’s daughter explained.

Soon after that, shoppers captured cell phone video of police — who were providing security at the store’s request — using a stun gun on Li as she laid on the mall floor screaming.

“My mom said she doesn’t know why they called the police because she doesn’t understand what they are talking about,” the woman’s daughter insisted to WMUR.

Nashua police are reviewing the incident to determine if excessive force was used, but said that use of the Taser was standard operating procedure.

“She was certainly capable of coming up here and purchasing these things from the Apple Store here,” Capt. Bruce Hansen insisted. “Whether her language inhibited that, I really don’t know.”

“Our force continuum has specific times when a Taser is used during resisting arrest or that type of an incident where a person doesn’t comply with a lawful order to submit to an arrest,” he added. “This really is a criminal trespass, resisting arrest incident, and that’s fairly routine here.”

“There’s nothing really out of the ordinary about it.”

Li was arrested and charged with two misdemeanors. She is scheduled to return to court in January.

Watch this video from WMUR, broadcast Dec. 12, 2012.

Raw Story (http://s.tt/1wJPN)

NASHUA, N.H. —

Cellphone video of an arrest in Nashua is raising concerns about whether excessive force was used.

The video shows police using a stun gun on a woman at the Pheasant Lane Mall in Nashua. The woman said she doesn't speak English and didn't understand what was happening.

Nashua police said the incident is under review. They said the officer involved is filling out a use of force report as part of the department's standard operating procedure.

On the video, the screams of the 44-year-old Chinese woman can be heard as she was placed under arrest Tuesday at the Apple Store in the mall.

Speaking from her bed in Newton, Mass., as her daughter translated, Xiaojie Li said she speaks Chinese, not English.

"My mom said she doesn't know why they called the police because she doesn't understand what they are talking about," she said.

"She was certainly capable of coming up here and purchasing these things from the Apple Store here," Capt. Bruce Hansen said. "Whether her language inhibited that, I really don't know."

Li said she was at the store to buy several iPhones for family members in China. She bought two on Friday and was looking to get more, but the store asked her to leave.

"The manager of the Apple Store came and told her something, but she didn't understand," her daughter said.

Nashua police officers were providing security at the request of the store. Police said that when Li didn't leave, that's when they moved in and tried to arrest her, and she resisted. Hansen said the department is reviewing whether excessive force was used.

Our force continuum has specific times when a Taser is used during resisting arrest or that type of an incident where a person doesn't comply with a lawful order to submit to an arrest," he said.

The officers involved are on active duty, Hansen said.

"This really is a criminal trespass, resisting arrest incident, and that's fairly routine here," Hansen said. "There's nothing really out of the ordinary about it."

Li has been charged with two misdemeanors and is due in court in January. Hansen said that's when everything will get sorted out.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Police-stun-gun-use-under-review-in-mall-incident/-/9857858/17748280/-/u36wuj/-/index.html#ixzz2EsIY5UYY
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:15 PM
5 moms liked this

Am I missing something here?

jillianmayasmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this
There seems to be an awful lot missing from this story.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:19 PM

there seems to be some information missing. not real sure that I am buying she can not speak or understand English, sounds like an excuse

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:19 PM
5 moms liked this

For goodness sake.

So, instead of these new 'wonder weapons' which were supposed to take the place of lethal force being used to, you know, take the place of lethal force- they're now 'standard' to use on people trying to buy TOO MANY CELLPHONES.

Note taken, America.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:21 PM

And why was she being arrested??

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Reporting from hell.

The only people that can tell us why she was arrested are, apparently, the police. But they didn't include that particular information in the "article".

Quoting frogbender:

Am I missing something here?

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I have several issues with this.

1) It bothers me when people who decide to live inour country don't bother to learn the language.

2) Regardless of the language barrier, I don't believe the woman should have been tazed.  I can't imagine a guy not being able to control a small asian woman.

3) I didn't know there was a limit on how many iPhones Apple lets a person buy.  Money is money.  I guess this means I couldn't buy enough for my family either.  Chalk this up as another on the list of many reasons I don't buy Apple products.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM

at first glance I call FAIL

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM

That's what I am trying to find out. I didn't even know that you could buy too many iPhones. So, she had bought two. Then she tried on another day to buy more to send to her family as gifts. Then they asked her to leave, which she may not have understood. Then they tasered her? Is this how Apple treats consumers? Thank goodness I don't support Apple by buying their overpriced crap.

Quoting Raintree:

For goodness sake.

So, instead of these new 'wonder weapons' which were supposed to take the place of lethal force being used to, you know, take the place of lethal force- they're now 'standard' to use on people trying to buy TOO MANY CELLPHONES.

Note taken, America.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:26 PM

They need to actually try reporting on this instead of writing this crap and presenting it as 'news'. It doesn't even tell us what we need to know to make any sort of judgement, except that with the silence of any discernible information- maybe we can get the idea that the police are hiding something.

Click on the link and read some of the seriously terrible comments beneath it. Anti-immigrant, pro-police state.

Quoting frogbender:

That's what I am trying to find out. I didn't even know that you could buy too many iPhones. So, she had bought two. Then she tried on another day to buy more to send to her family as gifts. Then they asked her to leave, which she may not have understood. Then they tasered her? Is this how Apple treats consumers? Thank goodness I don't support Apple by buying their overpriced crap.

Quoting Raintree:

For goodness sake.

Note taken, America.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)