Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toys For Tots, Giving Trees............taking advantage.

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:30 PM
  • 36 Replies

I am disheartened.  Reality has snuck in when I wasn't looking. 

Well, let me say I have no doubt this happens but to actually hear it, hear some one try to excuse it, explain it, makes my heart feel heavy.

There is a young woman I know in passing.  She does not work but is in school.  She has a young daughter, I believe she is just about to turn 2.  She is with the father.  They both have families locally and the child will want for nothing come Christmas morning.

Mom and Dad don't have a lot of money.  Extra money, that is, to go out and buy their daughter Christmas gifts.  

They signed up for Toys For Tots.  Their number is some thing like 2500.  They are only on 1500 as they just don't have the toys to fill all of the orders.  She was upset because her precious child will not receive a new a toy from TFT this year.  And the giving tree at a local store...........people just aren't 'giving' like they used to so once again, her precious daughter will have to go without.

They wanted these 'gifts' to give their daughter as if they were from them.

I get they don't have a lot of money.  But for goodness sakes, they have family and friends who will give Christmas gifts to the kiddo.

Makes me wonder, truly wonder, just how many other people take advantage of these things and really leave those who truly need left with nothing.

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Meh, I don't see these people as taking advantage.  There are varying degrees of "poor" and we don't all see the same shade of gray.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:37 PM
That is disgusting!! DH and I are also broke this year And can not give DS anything ..BUT my parents, mil/fil and brother will make sure his Christmas is plentiful so we would not go to TfT Or an angel Tree and deprive A child who has Nobody To help out!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:42 PM

My husband and I have very little money, but we NEVER considered signing up for charity toys! I saw a sign-up sheet at the clinic where I bring my kids, but like the person described in the OP, I have plenty of relatives who can pick up the slack.

mom_dl6
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah that is sad if you don't need it you should not be able to participate in the program,It's sad how many ppl take from the really needy for their own selfish gain. Our society has def. gone down the shit hole the past 10 yrs !

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Quoting LauraKW:

Meh, I don't see these people as taking advantage.  There are varying degrees of "poor" and we don't all see the same shade of gray.

Their child is not in need.  Not like the idea behind the programs.  Although, they do qualify considering the application process does not require one to say whether or not they have family members who will be making sure their child has more than enough for Christmas.

I just don't like it.  It bothers me.  Some child out there, with a family who may not have any one to help them, who will have absolutely nothing under that tree for their child........they should be the ones where these toys go.

At least in my opinion.

tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I am not sure how I feel about this.  Perhaps extended family members may not be as giving as you may think.  Knowing someone in "passing" is not really knowing someone and her family situation.  Even if family members are contributing toward her child's Christmas, she may feel really bad that she cannot provide a gift herself, and wanted that one gift from the Angel Tree or TFT so her little one can look up to her with joy from her eyes.  I don't really think that is taking advantage.  It is being a parent, feeling a bit down at the holiday time cause you can't buy you child a gift. 

butterfly on headlynda  

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:58 PM

They feel differently.  Sounds like they want to be able to give a present that is just from "them".  Even though the child will not go without any presents doesn't mean they are bad people for wanting to provide something personally. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting LauraKW:

Their child is not in need.  Not like the idea behind the programs.  Although, they do qualify considering the application process does not require one to say whether or not they have family members who will be making sure their child has more than enough for Christmas.

I just don't like it.  It bothers me.  Some child out there, with a family who may not have any one to help them, who will have absolutely nothing under that tree for their child........they should be the ones where these toys go.

At least in my opinion.

meriana
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

On the other side, I have known people who SHOULD have signed up for the Angel Tree or TFT and did not. They said they could go to the thrift stores and make things for their children and since they could do that they weren't going to take and perhaps somebody who couldn't do what they could would do without. I do think there are many more caring, giving folks than we realize.

survivorinohio
by René on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I agree

Quoting LauraKW:

They feel differently.  Sounds like they want to be able to give a present that is just from "them".  Even though the child will not go without any presents doesn't mean they are bad people for wanting to provide something personally. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting LauraKW:

At least in my opinion.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

survivorinohio
by René on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Quoting meriana:

On the other side, I have known people who SHOULD have signed up for the Angel Tree or TFT and did not. They said they could go to the thrift stores and make things for their children and since they could do that they weren't going to take and perhaps somebody who couldn't do what they could would do without. I do think there are many more caring, giving folks than we realize.

yep.  I know plenty of people like that

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)