Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Completely Shocking.

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:53 PM
  • 42 Replies

Do you know that there is a Helium shortage?  I did NOT.  Here is an example of a conversation I had today:

Me:I would like to refill a helium tank.

Him:Is it for balloons?

Me:Uh, yeah.

Him:I am not filling a 50# tank for balloons!

Me:Uhhhhhhh.  Isn't this the helium place?

Him:There is a shortage!

Me:Buh?

Him:Yeah!  We are reserving it for medical supplies!

Me:Durrrrrrr

Him:Get out of the balloon business!

Me:Guh.

Were you aware of the helium shortage?  Don't waste money on helium balloons!  Save it for medical devices.  And God help yah, don't try to get a tank filled, you will feel like a total idiot!

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tambrathegreat
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Yes, it is?

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:59 PM

LOL, sorry, accidentally posted before putting in the text.  :)

Quoting tambrathegreat:

Yes, it is?

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:00 PM

LOL I had no idea.

moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:01 PM

No.  I did not know this.

kellysparkles
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:01 PM

That's weird..I just had 50 balloons filled for my baby shower and had no issues. 

I knew there was a shortage..but because I was able to fill them with no problem I thought it was over.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I had no idea until my daughter and I were in the dollar store yesterday.  She mentioned it when she noticed they no longer offered helium balloons.

You are not the only one who was not aware. 

cara124
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:02 PM
I had no idea ! What do the use it for medically ?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Helium may be the second most abundant element in the universe, but it's becoming increasingly scarce here in the United States, which is raising prices worldwide for everyone from physicists to computer chipmakers to mylar balloon vendors.

Business Editor

And because the US supplies 75 percent of the world market for the stuff, the helium shortage has become a global problem.

But the supply-demand imbalance isn't coming from market forces, it's a public-private vacuum. The federal government is getting out of the business after more than eight decades, and so far private industry hasn't stepped in to fill the void.

The result: a shortage of hot air that may last until sometime next year.

There are no reports that the helium shortage has caused any huge crises. Hospitals, which use liquid helium to freeze the magnets in MRI scanners, are still getting supplies. So are arc welders and particle physicists.

Balloon racers are switching to hydrogen. Helium balloon retailers are raising prices. And the University of Nebraska, which last month filled only half the usual 5,000 red helium balloons it normally releases at the beginning of football season, has put its seven-decade tradition on hiatus.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM

They use it for coolant in medical devices.  I wasn't aware of that either!  But I sure got an earful from the gas supply place where we fill up our tanks.  

Quoting cara124:

I had no idea ! What do the use it for medically ?

ILive4This
by Robin on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Hmmm...I hadn't heard that.  I'm going down to the tank room right now, to make sure we have some.  All RT's need to have their heliox  :D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)