Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Breakthrough Cup Detects Date-Rape Drugs In Drinks

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:30 AM
  • 15 Replies

Breakthrough Cup Detects Date-Rape Drugs In Drinks

2012/12/12
By

Millions of people are physically and/or emotionally traumatized by sexual assault by someone they meet at a club or party as a result of “date-rape” drugs. In many cases, the rape occurs because their drinks have been spiked with one of the three most common drugs: GHB, Ketamine and Rohypnol. These are potent mixtures that affect the central nervous system. Date-rape drugs are odorless, colorless, and tasteless, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse. The drugs are slipped into alcoholic beverages when the victim isn’t looking and cause drowsiness, amnesia, and blackouts.

The only alternatives available at this time are watching one’s drink vigilantly or using special testing strips that require a person to pour a bit of the drink onto the strip and wait a few minutes for the results.

Date-rape drugs are nearly impossible to detect, but start-up company DrinkSavvy is developing a container made of a material that can detect the drugs and discreetly alert a drinker by changing colors if a drug is added. The container is clear when no drugs are present, and changes color if drugs are present. The prototype container has easily-spotted red stripes when drugs are added to its contents.

DrinkSavvy’s founder Mike Abramson’s inspiration came after he himself was drugged. ”I was thinking that I needed to develop something that was discreet, effortless, and continuous,” he says.

Abramson also wants to create straws and other kinds of drinking apparatuses that can help with detection. As of Wednesday morning, DrinkSavvy has reached $23,869 of its $50,000 goal on fundraising site Indiegogo.com, with only 18 days left for fundraising. To contribute, you can visit the DrinkSavvy website or PayPal account. Show your support by following their updates on Facebook or Twitter. You can also make the bars and clubs you frequent aware of the DrinkSavvy products by asking them to email Info@DrinkSavvyInc.com to sign up to receive notifications when the products become available.

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this
It's sad that that has to be an option, rather than greater emphasis on teaching people not to spike drinks. Still, good idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:17 AM

It's so sad  there is a need for this product...I guess it's good though..

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:18 AM
That's really disturbing that Date Rape is so prevalent that they NEEDED a cup like this... :-/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:19 AM
This is exactly the kind of thing I point to in a discussion of "rape culture", when the onus is on the victim not to get raped.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bennett121
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Criminals will be criminals. We have to be diligent and proactive to protect ourselves. I think this is a wonderful idea. 

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I think it's a wonderful idea and a much needed product. Sadly though, it's much needed.

D.O.E.
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:05 PM

that is freakin awesome!

Mesh2
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I heard them talking about straws and stirrers, I think those are more practical. For a house party, these cups work, but out at a bar if you have a little stirrer you can just keep it in your purse. You are not going to carry the cup and ask the bartender to use it. 

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM

This is a wonderful idea, but so sad that we need an item like this

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I think it is meant for the bars to provide

Quoting Mesh2:

I heard them talking about straws and stirrers, I think those are more practical. For a house party, these cups work, but out at a bar if you have a little stirrer you can just keep it in your purse. You are not going to carry the cup and ask the bartender to use it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)