Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

California's Berkeley to give college scholarships to illegal immigrants

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:12 AM
  • 77 Replies
I don't really have a problem with giving good students scholarships even if they are here illegally. They had no choice in the matter since their parents brought them here (assuming they are minors or were born here) . I would like to see these students adhere to certain guidelines such as grade point average, proper attendance, as well as doing some community service etc.

What do you think?

SACRAMENTO, California (Reuters) - The University of California's Berkeley campus announced on Tuesday that a private foundation has given $1 million to fund scholarships for illegal immigrants.

The scholarships will go to nearly 200 students who are not eligible for federal grants, government-backed loans or work-study positions, the school said.

The Evelyn and Walter Haas, Jr. Fund, a private family foundation, provided the scholarship grant. It is the largest scholarship for undocumented immigrants ever given to a U.S. university, the foundation said.

"These motivated, hardworking and inspiring students are an asset to our state and our country," the fund's president, Ira Hirschfield, said in a statement. "Now that it's legal to do so in California, we encourage other foundations and private donors to consider providing funding to help undocumented students achieve their potential."

Higher education has become a battleground in the nation's immigration wars that have seen the Obama administration grant leniency to young people brought into the country illegally as children even as a number of states have sought to crack down on illegal immigrants within their borders.

Last year, California signed into a law a bill dubbed the California Dream Act that allows illegal immigrants to receive privately funded scholarships to attend the state's public colleges and universities after attending at least three years of high school in the state.

The California law is named after national legislation in Congress to give young, undocumented immigrants who have lived in the United States for at least five years a pathway to citizenship through college or military service.

The federal bill failed to win passage in December 2010, and its chances have dimmed since a Republican majority took control of the House of Representatives.

Critics say the California Dream Act gives illegal immigrants a false promise because their status will not change after graduating from college and they will remain unable to find legal employment.

But that reality may well be shifting. President Barack Obama will push for comprehensive immigration reform during his second presidential term, his spokesman said in November.

And the Obama administration already relaxed deportation rules earlier this year by allowing for some illegal immigrants brought to the United States as children to be given temporary legal status.

(Reporting by Mary Slosson; Editing by Paul Thomasch and Lisa Shumaker)

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Hmmm...I need to think on this one for a bit.....

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:18 AM
3 moms liked this

Fabulous!  A point was reached where all the legal kids had money for college!  Oh wait....that's not the case is it.

I have sympathy for those brought here by parents....not enough to let them cut to the head of the line though.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:20 AM
4 moms liked this
So what happens to the good students who are here LEGALLY? They get screwed out of an education? Great Idea...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:25 AM
2 moms liked this

Quote:

a private foundation has given $1 million to fund scholarships for illegal immigrants.

The scholarships will go to nearly 200 students who are not eligible for federal grants, government-backed loans or work-study positions, the school said.

Private entities can decide how they want their money used. In this case, it covers those who cannot get help from any other source. I really don't know of any legal citizen who is not eligible for at least one of the three options above, plus a plethora of scholarships that good students can apply for. It isn't a minor's fault that their parents brought them here illegally. I don't have a problem with this. 

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:30 AM
2 moms liked this

Nope they aren't legal citizens they aren't deserving of scholarships, food stamps, jobs or anything given earned or given to legal citizens. If you are illegal and of age, it is up to you to become legal, you cannot blame your parents forever. Is there a petition against this, because there should be.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Well i think it stinks.

radioheid
by Libertarian on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:12 AM
6 moms liked this

So what of the LEGAL immigrants who would like a free education? There are plenty of them. I guess there is no reward for doing things the right way in this country. If you do things right, you end up with $50,000+ in student loans to pay off, a mortgage that will take at least 20 years to pay off (providing you don't lose your job at some point and thus lose your home), and you get to pay taxes for the rest of your life to fund the livelihood and lifestyle of the fuck-ups who didn't care enough to stay in school or show up for work and do shit right.

Yay America! The land of opportunity...for illegal immigrants and screw-ups, anyway. Not so much for the rest of us.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

AdellesMom
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:14 AM
I think this is stupid. There are plenty of LEGAL immigrants that could use the money. But, it's a private fund. They can spend their money how they want.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GLWerth
by Gina on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:22 AM
5 moms liked this

It isn't the university, it is a PRIVATE FOUNDATION.

So, really, it is that private entity's decision as to who to give the scholarships to: as I am told every single day here on Cafe Mom, private entities can do whatever they please. There are plenty of foundations out there giving to causes I don't believe in and yet, they still have the right to do so.

For kids who had no choice in coming here, I'm glad this is available. These kids can't get federal financial aid, so these people are trying to fill that gap.

romalove
by Roma on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I did a big event recently for my company, and it involved prize winners from all over the world, mostly teenagers.

It was interesting speaking to these international girls.  There were a couple who were completely unimpressed with America.  There were a few who had made several trips and love it here.  I spoke to one girl in particular, from South Africa, and she was talking about how she was desperate to move here, but how near impossible it is to be allowed to come because of the immigration rules.  She was looking into attending school in NYC in hopes it will help her come here at some point permanently.

I don't know about additional help for people who aren't supposed to be here but are here anyway.  It feels like rewarding the "wrong".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN