Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The Aspergers made him do it.......

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 12:52 PM
  • 114 Replies
7 moms liked this

I am becoming more and more alarmed at the hysteria being created in the last two days since the moronic media decided to declare that the Connecticut shooter had Aspergers, and imply that it's why he did this horrific thing.

The comments attached to these stories that I've found online are very concerning. As most of you know, I have a child on the spectrum. I am becoming increasingly concerned for his safety now with all this bullshit. Kids on the spectrum are not prone to this kind of violence. Yes, they can get frustrated more easily and yes they can take epic temper tantrums. But they are major rule followers, so the thought of even doing something like this, let alone carrying it out, would never occur to most people on the spectrum. But thanks to the media and it's efforts to continue to sensationalize this horrific event, quite a few people are under that impression.

Please, if you see or hear discussions about this, please, for all children and adults on the spectrum, speak up and educate those who are unaware. Here is a good story with some information: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/12/16/sandy-hook-school-shooting-asperger-violence/1772589/

You can also find information on the Autism Speaks website about it.

by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Thomigirl
by Gold Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Giiiirl, I was about to go find my Shit Stirrer Sweet Pea when I saw this tite. tsk tsk

valhallaarwen
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I too am becoming alarmed because I have a cousin's whose daughter has asperger's.  I think it is bullshit the media feels that there must be a scapegoat and you know some stupid idiot may try to form a lynch mob and go after kids with this condition.  I do not believe asperger's causes violence, but the media is so evil that they would point this out.  I am sorry you have to deal with this. 

tambrathegreat
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I agree.  Blaming Aspergers is an irresponsible, ignarant thing to do. 

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Dec. 16, 2012 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Thomigirl:

Giiiirl, I was about to go find my Shit Stirrer Sweet Pea when I saw this tite. tsk tsk

I am not the type to stir shit for the fun of it. I am genuinely concerned about the welfare of my child and others on the spectrum. The hate I am seeing building on the internet thanks to the dumbass media is alarming.

rfurlongg
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 1:07 PM
3 moms liked this
I suspect that while Adam Lanza may have had a PDD spectrum disorder, he lost likely also had other co-morbid dx that either had not been identified or simply have not been released.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lancet98
by Silver Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 1:08 PM
7 moms liked this

MOST people with aspergers will never commit a mass murder.  

MOST people with autism will never commit a mass murder.  

MOST people with a severe mental illness will never commit a mass murder.

MOST people with schizophrenia, schizoaffective, or bipolar disorders, will never commit a mass murder.

MOST people with psychosis will never commit a mass murder.  

MOST psychotic people with very severe, uncontrolled, untreated illness, will never commit a mass murder. 

MOST male psychotic twenty year old newly ill unmedicated seriously ill MALES will never commit a mass murder.

Something to keep in mind.

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Dec. 16, 2012 at 1:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting lancet98:

MOST people with aspergers will never commit a mass murder.  

MOST people with autism will never commit a mass murder.  

MOST people with a severe mental illness will never commit a mass murder.

MOST people with schizophrenia, schizoaffective, or bipolar disorders, will never commit a mass murder.

MOST people with psychosis will never commit a mass murder.  

MOST psychotic people with very severe, uncontrolled, untreated illness, will never commit a mass murder. 

MOST male psychotic twenty year old newly ill unmedicated seriously ill MALES will never commit a mass murder.

Something to keep in mind.

You could continue this to say:

MOST people w/ no menatkl health issues will ever commit mass murder

MOST people w/ no mental health issues who are relentlessly bullied will not commit mass mirder

MOST "normal" people will not commit mass murder

you get where Im going w/ this.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 16, 2012 at 1:22 PM
3 moms liked this

Not a single one of us, or a group of us, know WHY.  We will never know WHY.

We can speculate and talk it over and assume and place blame but there will never be a definitive answer for us.  I think that is what leads some to go so far with their own assumptions, claiming to 'know'.

We must keep things in perspective and realize that Aspergers, or any other issues one may have, are not the sole responsibility for what happened.

Those who perpertrate the hysteria need to take a step back and realize they have no answers.

Thomigirl
by Gold Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting Thomigirl:

I am not the type to stir shit for the fun of it. I am genuinely concerned about the welfare of my child and others on the spectrum. The hate I am seeing building on the internet thanks to the dumbass media is alarming.

Oh no, I know the concern is real, I'm just talking about my first reaction to just reading the title. No worries.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN