• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parents Say Christmas Carols are Form of Bullying

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:29 AM
  • 343 Replies
1 mom liked this

Dec 16, 2012

By Todd Starnes

A group of parents in Missoula, Mont. are upset over the religious nature of Christmas songs performed at a local elementary school - alleging the songs about the Baby Jesus is unconstitutional and a "form of bullying."

FOLLOW TODD ON FACEBOOK FOR CULTURE WAR NEWS! CLICK HERE TO JOIN!

The parents, who declined to be identified, are threatening to sue the Missoula County Public School District unless songs like "Joy to the World" and "Good Christian Men Rejoice" are replaced with secular tunes.

"Bullying is such a hot topic, yet that seems to be what is occurring here," the parents wrote in a letter obtained by The Missoulian. "When the children are singing about the lord and savior Jesus Christ - public school is not the place."

The complaint came from parents who have children attending Chief Charlo Elementary School. A number of students are Jewish, Buddhist, and Muslim.

They said they have no problem with Frosty the Snowman or Santa Claus - but the real reason for the Christmas season has no place in school concerts, they argued.

"One of the largest complaints last year was the young children singing about "their Lord," they wrote.

Superintendent Alex Apostle told The Missoulian that he takes separation of church and state issues seriously.

"These are difficult waters sometimes, and I think we are moving forward in a respectful way," he told the newspaper. "We as a school system, want our children to enjoy the holiday season. In the process, we are obviously respectful of the beliefs and cultures of all children and their families

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsErdos2011
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:42 AM
16 moms liked this

Cheese and Sprinkles!!! This is getting ridiculous. They are just songs and only have meaning if you put meaning behind them

romalove
by Roma on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:48 AM
14 moms liked this

In some of the other cases we have read about, the complaint was that an "outside atheist group" was making trouble.  Here you have parents, in a multi-religious place, complaining about their children having to sing Christian religious songs, and they don't want their children to have to do so.

Where is the respect for them?

malexander2009
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this

If that's the case then schools that participate in State Solo and Ensemble contests shouldn't have the choice of singing jewish songs and the like. I went to a Catholic high school and the song our teacher picked for the state competition was Jewish

rfurlongg
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Ugh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gotnothinonme
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:53 AM
11 moms liked this

give them earplugs which they can place in their ears during the parts that disturb their delicate balance - or simply inform them that it's going to contain some TRADITIONAL CHRISTMAS SONGS and if they are too weak minded to hear it without melting into a puddle to please attend the NON-TRADITIONAL SINGING somewhere else or at a different time.

teddysmama09
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:20 AM
15 moms liked this

This is  the epitome of an unnecessary lawsuit. I am one Of Jehovahs Witnesses, we don't do Christmas ourselves but we understand that if we choose to send our child to a public school there will be christmas (and easter and halloween etc). We handle the matter quietly and respectfully. We speak with the teachers in advance and tell them our children will not be participating in the holliday activities and ask if there's an alternative activity they can be given. I remember as a kid when the school did their Christmas assembly me and the few other JWs would go to a classroom where we were given activities and crafts to do that were not Christmas related. If the teachers are unable to provide alternatives, most Witness parents will just keep their kids home that day.

I would only consider it bullying if my child were made a spectacle because of his  beliefs or forced to participate in the holliday activities. But even then I would never sue anyone over it. I would simply adress the school administrator personally and privately and ask how we can work together to make sure it doesn't happen again.

maciymommieof3
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I know, right!

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

Cheese and Sprinkles!!! This is getting ridiculous. They are just songs and only have meaning if you put meaning behind them

maciymommieof3
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting rfurlongg:

Ugh

mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:55 AM
2 moms liked this

WTH? Bullying really? shaking head

candlegal
by Judy on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I know, seriously?

Quoting mmtosam06:

WTH? Bullying really? shaking head

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)