Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

With all the talk about guns...Do you allow your child to go to the homes where there are weapons..

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:14 AM
  • 43 Replies

Playdates....sleepovers?  Do you ask if they own guns?  Do ask how the weapons are stored?  Would you not allow your child in a friend's home if guns were present?

I have to head into the office for awhile for a meeting...I am not ignoring answers!

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BridgeEbb
by New Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:16 AM

My children live with weapons in the home.  They are stored in a way that only I or my husband can get to them.  I do tell parents that we have guns in the home and allow them to see where are they are if they would like.  Most are fine with it.  I also run a daycare from my home so I have to inform parents about them and where they are.  

Mortiferouslatt
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:19 AM
My son goes to nanas and there are guns. All guns are locked in cases and cabinets.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yourspecialkid
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

We have a number of guns...and a couple of bows.  I have never had a parent ask me if we had guns in our home...honestly...it has never occurred to me to ask other parents either.

_Kissy_
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:24 AM
Their great grandparents own guns and my kids have handled guns before. I don't shelter them from them, we just don't own any.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WesternNYmom
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I don't have an issue with the parents of the kids my children play with owning guns as long as they keep them safely stored out of reach.  That being said, If one of my kids were to come home and tell my that their friend's parents kept a gun in plain view on the coffee table, that would be the last time they would go over there to play.  This may sound silly to some, but I am not taking any chances with my kid's safety, and kids don't always demonstrate good judgement.

kloesmommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:37 AM
In most cases yes however, we have recently discovered that dhs mentally unstable cousin bought a rifle and crossbow yesterday. We usually go to dhs grandmas house for Xmas. This cousin lives with grandma so I told dh that under no circumstance would we go to that house and he agreed and told his mom that we will be staying home Xmas day
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ChancesMommy07
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:38 AM

We have guns and bows and arrows. The guns are locked in one safe. The ammo and the razor tips for the arrows are in another. No one has the combination to either safe besides myself and my DH and its not written down anywhere. No one has ever asked me if we own guns and I've never asked any of my sons friends parents if they do either.

FooLynRoo
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:39 AM

In order for my son to sleep over someones house or have a playdate there, i always got to know the parents first and yes found out not only if they had guns but how they discipline etc.

most of the time - this is why we had sleep overs at OUR house.

I wouldn't be opposed to a gun in their house, I have guns in mine - locked in safes.

This all stopped when he was a teen, he knew how to handle a weapon. and when to walk away from a dangerous situation.

jlo1313
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I honestly haven't given this any thought.  We own guns, they are secured.  They play with the sheriff's children down the street, just a wild stab in the dark, he owns guns.  My children know what guns are and have handled them and even fired them.  They know the consequences of gun usage.  They know how to react if they see someone with a gun and I know that won't stop foolish child's or accidental discharge.  Just like I know that every time I get them in the car and buckled in, we could still have a life-threatening car accident, or that they could slip and fall in the shower, and my list could go on and on.

Lottie925
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I only have 2 friends with guns. One is a hunter with a safe and unloaded weapons. The other has a rifle hanging high on the wall, unloaded with ammo locked up. 

But... my DD is only 5 and has not done a sleepover yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)