Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Instagram can now sell your photos?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Jes
  • 12 Replies
Instagram says it now has the right to sell your photos
December 17, 2012 | Declan McCullagh

In its first big policy shift since Facebook bought the photo-sharing site, Instagram claims the right to sell users' photos without payment or notification. Oh, and there's no way to opt out.

Instagram said today that it has the perpetual right to sell users' photographs without payment or notification, a dramatic policy shift that quickly sparked a public outcry.

The new intellectual property policy, which takes effect on January 16, comes three months after Facebook completed its acquisition of the popular photo-sharing site. Unless Instagram users delete their accounts before the January deadline, they cannot opt out.

Under the new policy, Facebook claims the perpetual right to license all public Instagram photos to companies or any other organization, including for advertising purposes, which would effectively transform the Web site into the world's largest stock photo agency. One irked Twitter user quipped that "Instagram is now the new iStockPhoto, except they won't have to pay you anything to use your images."

Read entire Article Here:
http://m.cnet.com/news/instagram-says-it-now-has-the-right-to-sell-your-photos/57559710?ds=1
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I don't use Instagram.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM
I know many people who do and this is just wrong in my opinion...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM
I don't either thankfully

Quoting romalove:

I don't use Instagram.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiffyhamm
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:05 AM

i signed up for instagram and have yet to use it, but so many of my friends do, i think most of them do actually.  this makes me very uncomfortable.  i mean, we do share our photos online with a ton of other people, many who are strangers to us, but we have control over the pics we post, who we choose to share them with, etc.  i don't like this at all.

tscritch
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:13 AM

How are they claiming this is legal to do?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Oh hell no.  

Time to spread the word on this one.

Joqui
by Joqui on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM

well looks like another social site I will be getting rid of lol

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I have never used Instagram, but if they are now owned by Facebook, is Facebook going to do this to the photos we upload to our profiles as well? 

ReadWriteLuv
by Khaleesi on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Your photos that you post anywhere online aren't safe from anyone, ever. It's why I don't have Facebook, don't use Instagram for personal photos, and am extremely choosy and conservative when it comes to posting photos here on Cafemom. 

emeraldangel2.0
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:46 PM

i deleted my account today

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)