Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are the real reasons some people are against any type of gun law reform?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:16 PM
  • 160 Replies
1 mom liked this

For example, how could anyone be against banning assault rifles?  Why would anyone ever need to fire so many rounds of ammunition in such a short period of time, if not to commit mass murder?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:17 PM

b

u

m

p

radioheid
by Libertarian on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:24 PM
3 moms liked this

Mass protection?

God forbid we ever face an invasion from, I don't know, China. I personally wouldn't want to rely only on our military and law enforcement for protection. I can only hope we raise up our own bands of "insurgents" in such a case, and those people would need automatic weapons.

Some people just find them fun to shoot, like my ex. He couldn't join the military because he has a history of severe migraines that require daily medication in order to function as a result of a childhood encephalitis infection. So...he bought an AR-15, takes it to a friend's house who lives up in the hills, and "plays".

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

eema.gray
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Depending on precise definition, this semi automatic hunting rifle with a 5 shot magazine could be considered an "assault rifle" because it loads each new round into the firing chamber "automatically."

This is a semi automatic AR 15 with a 30 round magazine.  Also can be considered a "assault weapon."  In CA, the AR 15 is already not for sale, not because it's a semi automatic but because that state chose to say that any weapon with a magazine of 30 rounds or greater is an assault weapon.  The great irony of this CA regulation is that some enterprising companies now manufacture smaller capacity magazines for the AR 15, rendering it no longer an "assault rifle" and therefore legal for sale in that state.

What makes an assault rifle an assault rife?

katy_kay08
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:25 PM
7 moms liked this

Well of course one has to plan for the zombie apocalypse.

radioheid
by Libertarian on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

My ex bought an AR-15 in California, lol.

He built this from scratch:

Quoting eema.gray:

Depending on precise definition, this semi automatic hunting rifle with a 5 shot magazine could be considered an "assault rifle" because it loads each new round into the firing chamber "automatically."

This is a semi automatic AR 15 with a 30 round magazine.  Also can be considered a "assault weapon."  In CA, the AR 15 is already not for sale, not because it's a semi automatic but because that state chose to say that any weapon with a magazine of 30 rounds or greater is an assault weapon.  The great irony of this CA regulation is that some enterprising companies now manufacture smaller capacity magazines for the AR 15, rendering it no longer an "assault rifle" and therefore legal for sale in that state.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:30 PM
9 moms liked this

I sometimes wonder how some folks successfully navigate this planet.

eema.gray
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Having lived in CA myself, there are so many loopholes in the "assault rifle" ban it's not even funny.  :-)

ETA:  One of my favorite examples - if you live in CA and purchase a weapon that falls under the assault weapons ban, you can still own it, you just have to store it outside the state.  Which has naturally led to a booming business in Los Vegas, Reno, and other towns close to the boarder of renting "gun lockers" under secure storage for CA owners of weapons illegal in that state.

Quoting radioheid:

My ex bought an AR-15 in California, lol.

He built this from scratch:

Quoting eema.gray:

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

This. Totally 100% this. 

Quoting katy_kay08:

Well of course one has to plan for the zombie apocalypse.

lga1965
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Quoting Sisteract:

I sometimes wonder how some folks successfully navigate this planet.

I do too.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM

ok, then, fine, perhaps a more precise distinction should be made. but do you oppose ANY controls on guns in general? do you support drawing any line on gun type, based on speed and capacity? 

Quoting eema.gray:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)