Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

McDonald's worker fired for putting too much topping on ice cream

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:32 PM
  • 10 Replies

McDonald's worker fired for putting too much topping on ice cream

1 hr ago

Sarah Finch was fired by McDonald's for "gross misconduct." Did she get caught spitting in customers' sodas? Dropping burgers on the floor and then serving them? Uh, no. The 19-year-old's crime, at a Welsh branch of the chain, was apparently giving a fellow employee a generous portion of chocolate topping on her purchased ice cream. A McFlurry fury followed: Finch was fired for supposedly stealing food. Luckily, the teen had the common sense to realize how utterly ridiculous this was, and she took the grease-slingers to court for unfair dismissal. On Tuesday Finch got the last laugh, as she was awarded $4,866 compensation and a good job reference.

McDonald's waitress wins £3,000 compensation for being fired

A McDonald's waitress won £3,000 compensation today for being fired after sprinkling too much chocolate on an ice-cream.

A McDonald's waitress won £3,000 compensation today for being fired after sprinkling too much chocolate on an ice-cream.
Sarah Finch was sacked from a McDonalds restaurant in Cardiff after sprinkling too much topping onto a 99p McFlurry Photo: WALES NEWS SERVICE

Sarah Finch, 19, was fired for gross misconduct after giving extra chocolate topping to a workmate on a 99p McFlurry.

Miss Finch took the McDonald's restaurant to an employment tribunal after her bosses accused her of giving away food without payment.

The unfair dismissal claim was settled out of court and she was awarded more than £3,000 in compensation.

Miss Finch said in a statement: "I was dismissed on the grounds of gross misconduct. I was accused of stealing food.

"The matter was trivial, in that I provided a fellow employee, who was purchasing a dessert, a generous sprinkling of chocolate pieces.

"There is no standard for such measures - they are always imprecise and will vary among customers.

"My colleague had asked me: 'Make it a nice one'. So the measure I gave erred on the side of more than, rather than less than, the mean."

Miss Finch, an accountant's daughter, earned £180-a-week at the branch of McDonald's in Carmarthen, West Wales, where she had worked for 18-months.

She made an application for unfair dismissal against franchise company Lonetree who run a string of McDonald's restaurants.

But both sides reached an out-of-court settlement after the Advisory Conciliation and Arbitration Service was called in.

Darren Newman, Miss Finch's solicitor, said: "With the assistance of ACAS we have reached a resolution - the tribunal is being withdrawn and there is no additional mention of liability.

"The parties have agreed not to disclose any more information apart from that the issue has now been resolved."

Miss Finch, from Kidwelly, West Wales, now studying for A-levels in chemistry, physics and biology, was described as an "exceptional employee" before being sacked.

Part of the terms of the settlement is that Sarah will get a good reference from McDonalds.A spokesman for the McDonalds franchise said: "This matter has now been resolved to the satisfaction of both parties. The Employment Tribunal case has been withdrawn. No admission of liability was made."

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashellbell
by shellbark on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:33 PM
I call that a homie hook up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
whitleypittman
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Way to go, girl!

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I've known managers to fire people for trival things like this. It's bogus and I'm glad she won. 

And I love how the British call hearings tribunals. Pretty badass. 

_Kissy_
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I know right? When I was in HS we use to go the local DQ because a friend worked there and she use to give us the homie hook up on french fries. When we use to go out to eat a couple of years ago, you were lucky if the fries even filled up the little paper baggie they came in

Quoting ashellbell:

parentalrights1
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:37 PM

What? McDonalds makes it very clear how much is supposed to go on everything. She took it upon herself to give another employee extra and had no authority to make that call.

I woudln't want an employee like that either.

McDonalds is pretty shitty to its employees for sure, but this is not one of the ways.

EDIT* Never mind. I misunderstood and thought it was a sundae not a chocolate sprinkling on a mcflurry.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:24 PM

lol

Good for her!

ashellbell
by shellbark on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:36 PM
Ha! In high school my friend worked at taco bell. My food always.got extra cheese. Love homie hookups.

Quoting _Kissy_:

I know right? When I was in HS we use to go the local DQ because a friend worked there and she use to give us the homie hook up on french fries. When we use to go out to eat a couple of years ago, you were lucky if the fries even filled up the little paper baggie they came in

Quoting ashellbell:

emeraldangel2.0
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:38 PM

man that is a hook up! sounds to me someone was drunk on power. lol

Jlbh5487
by New Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:39 PM
Even if it was something small, it was still stealing.
storkradio193
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:05 PM

It sounds from the article that it was not stealing, as she essentially won the case.  There probably are not exact measurements. 

Quoting Jlbh5487:

Even if it was something small, it was still stealing.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)