Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Utah elementary school student brought gun to school claimed his parents wanted him to bring it in for protection after the Newtown, Conn. shootings

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:38 PM
  • 26 Replies

Utah elementary school student brought gun to school

The 11-year-old claimed his parents wanted him to bring it in for protection after the Newtown, Conn. shootings

Utah elementary school student brought gun to school Screengrab from Fox13 News

Utah Fox affiliate Fox 13 reported that yesterday, a sixth grade student brought a .22-caliber pistol to West Kearns Elementary School, claiming that his parents encouraged him to bring the gun along as protection in response to the Newtown, Conn., shootings. He reportedly showed it to one of his classmates during recess. Sixth grader Isabel Rios said, “At recess, he pointed a gun to my head and said he was going to kill me.”

District officials said that they didn’t know about the weapon until 3 p.m., however. “Once the teacher knew there was a weapon in the classroom, the student was apprehended in 30 to 45 seconds and immediately brought down to the office and the police were on site within five to 10 minutes,” said Granite School District spokesman Ben Horsley.

Parents were notified around 5:30, though many had learned the news from their children before then.

The student has been suspended and taken into a juvenile facility.

http://www.salon.com/2012/12/18/utah_elementary_school_student_brought_gun_to_school/

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:38 PM

wow

lilbit53009
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:39 PM

i hope that really wasn't the parents idea

bigmama423
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Ditto

Quoting futureshock:

wow

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ashellbell
by shellbark on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:41 PM
Christ on a cracker...do people not think?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Ok, did the parents really tell him that or is the little asshead just making it up?

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:43 PM

And who leaves a gun around where an 11 year old can pick it up?  Who doesn't notice that gun is missing?!?

malibucj
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:43 PM

If the parents did that, they are really stupid and should be punished as well. And the kid was old enough to know not to point it at someone and say that.

Jynnifer292
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Good God, I hope they didn't tell him to do it. Perhaps he did bring it because he was scared. Obviously, he has not been taught how to handle it if he is pointing it at people. Holy crap, how scary.

Jynnifer292
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Quoting LauraKW:

And who leaves a gun around where an 11 year old can pick it up?  Who doesn't notice that gun is missing?!?

I don't know. My dad was a cop and kept his gun locked up in a metal box on his bureau. He wouldn't notice it was gone until he went to work again.

DawnPratt23
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:47 PM
Even my 16 yr old isn't that dense. Utah is a homeschool friendly state, if someone is that scared, pull them out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)