Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I wrong for feeling this way?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:22 PM
  • 41 Replies
5 moms liked this

I really, really wish that they would stop with all of the coverage of the tragedy in Newtown. It seems so wrong to me to show the caskets of these precious babies, to keep invading the privacy of the families who had their lives torn apart all because of one mad man. I've been fighting depression ever since I heard about what happened, and every time they show a clip of this, it breaks my heart and I'm fighting back tears. I realize that we have a need to know what happened, but really, is it necessary to show the pain that is being felt in Newtown? Or is it just sensationalism?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joyfulmom30
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you that I wish the news media would stop the coverage of the tragedy in Newtown. It seems like recently when a terrible event happens the news media talks about it and covers the event to the extreme.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I've stopped watching and I change the channel or turn away.

TerriAnne2606
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:35 PM

It is out-right sensationalism on the part of the media.  Quite covering it like it's a wonderful event and maybe those who are thinking about doing something so horrible will think twice because they won't be getting the covering.  Because every time I've seen them show anything about Sandy Hook, they mention the gun name's name.  I think we should hold the jounalists (and I use that term loosely) responsible for any more mass shootings.

Debmomto2girls
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I completely agree. It is sensationalizing a horrible event.  It is making i seem like a movie.  We are invading the privacy of people who just suffered the worst imaginable tragedy.  I won't watch anything related to the funerals or interviews with children who were there

gludwig2000
by Gina on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:36 PM

I'm in SC, and was watching the regular news, when they just had to show one of the caskets. I can turn away from all of the news channels, haven't watched any of them since early Sat, and I can turn away from the national news reports, because I know what is on there. But why do I have to watch that little casket on a regular, local news report? I can't stand it anymore, not because I don't feel for the families, but because I feel too much for them. I'm even wondering if I will ever be able to listen to "Silent Night" without thinking about those babies.

Momniscient
by Obama licker on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:38 PM

One part of me agrees with you.

Another part of me has been so very proud of humanity for coming together to discuss this and react and try to make sense. Some of it is sensationalism but there are also those who are sincerely heartbroken and wish to make sense of it.

I'm more disgusted with CM and the self righteous jackassery and pure plain evil demagoguery I see here. And I've reacted to that in a less than admirable fashion in some instances.

I keep trying to put myself in those parents and loved ones shoes. I can't do it. My first instinct is that I'd want people to see my baby. To memorialize her. To know her somehow. I don't know if that's right but I think that I would personally be comforted in a small way by knowing that others knew and cried for my baby. If that makes sense.

katy_kay08
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I think we all need to have the power to know our personal limit and walk away when we reach it.  

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, I hope that by showing how very real,horrible,violent,and even the precious Faces of all the victims,it spurs change. That no one can get away for even an hour,because this has happened time and time again! With out constant pressure America Will become lethargic AGAIN! And I understand,I haven't stopped crying yet. I am pumping myself up to slap on a smile because Christmas time traditions start today,and all I can think of is the parents that have no joy right now,and those beautiful kids that had visions of sugar plums in their heads,and it's my late-Father's birthday!

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting charleyd68:

Honestly, I hope that by showing how very real,horrible,violent,and even the precious Faces of all the victims,it spurs change. That no one can get away for even an hour,because this has happened time and time again! With out constant pressure America Will become lethargic AGAIN! And I understand,I haven't stopped crying yet. I am pumping myself up to slap on a smile because Christmas time traditions start today,and all I can think of is the parents that have no joy right now,and those beautiful kids that had visions of sugar plums in their heads,and it's my late-Father's birthday!

This!

gludwig2000
by Gina on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:58 PM

But can't all of the constant coverage also cause people to be overwhelmed to the point that they just shut down? I'm mostly okay with most of it, until I saw one of those little caskets today, and I can't help but think that the family must want privacy. I wouldn't want to share my grief with the world.

Quoting charleyd68:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)