Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When to teach kids how to use guns....

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:15 PM
  • 18 Replies

I'm not against gun ownership. I'm not against prents teachign children how to use guns. But I'm wondering...

This Lanza character is said to have been troubled from pretty early on. I also many children with emotional disorders- kids who can't control anger, kids who act out violently and have to be restrained, kids who go out of their way to hurt others, etc. In fact, I had a student last year who would act out violently, throw scissors at others, and rage and yet he owned his own gun at home.

Should parents wait until their kids have shown to be stable and emotionally secure before to teaching them how to shoot? 

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yourspecialkid
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I think kids should be introduced to guns at an early age..at school...by a police officer.  I think the officer should talk safety, rules and let them handle the weapons.  This would safely remove the natural curiosity children have.

I don't think there is a set age to use for teaching them how to use guns.  I think it depends on the child and their maturity level.  My oldest has been hunting with his father since he was 11.  My youngest is 11 and we don't feel he is ready.  This being said..my boys were introduced to guns at an early age.

ILive4This
by Robin on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Why ever teach them?  You say this like it's a given that it's going to happen.  Most people I know, don't have guns, weren't taught to shoot as kids, etc.  I don't need one, I don't want one, I have never taught my kids to shoot.  I am not paranoid.  I don't spend my days worrying about the govt, worrying about China getting me.  I find it fucking stupid.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Some people don't show problems until late teens, early 20's. I wouldn't go out of my way to show a child, who has issues, how to shoot a gun but I don't know if people should wait and make sure they don't have problems. I think you go on maturity. I think there are some 18 year olds who aren't mature enough to be handling a gun, even with supervision. I think my husband learned at 12.  

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:15 PM

They'll learn by the internet and by playing video games.

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:18 PM
As much as I would HATE for anybody but me to show my dd a gun and its uses, I agree that once you take the natural curiosity element out, there is less risk for accident. I now and always have believed that being educated about a firearm, and its safety, diminishes the amount of people who cause accidents with it.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I think kids should be introduced to guns at an early age..at school...by a police officer.  I think the officer should talk safety, rules and let them handle the weapons.  This would safely remove the natural curiosity children have.

I don't think there is a set age to use for teaching them how to use guns.  I think it depends on the child and their maturity level.  My oldest has been hunting with his father since he was 11.  My youngest is 11 and we don't feel he is ready.  This being said..my boys were introduced to guns at an early age.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Maaamaof2
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:20 PM

We were introduced very young. In fact grew up in a home where guns were every where and unlocked, we knew not to touch them or go near them. I actually dont even remember people telling us that we just knew.

Thinking back I can remember shooting a rifle at age 4. However, I have not introduced my children to guns or shooting.

I grew up in the sticks where you can go outside and shoot. We live in a city where it is not a way of life here, no need to really introduce this hobby here.

yourspecialkid
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

As much as I would HATE for anybody but me to show my dd a gun and its uses, I agree that once you take the natural curiosity element out, there is less risk for accident. I now and always have believed that being educated about a firearm, and its safety, diminishes the amount of people who cause accidents with it.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I have to admit this idea was not mine.  It came from a police officer that visited my oldest son's preschool.  Gun accidents involving kids involve the curiosity element more times than not.  Police officers go to our schools to teach them about strangers, drugs, bullying....why not guns?

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this

For the life of me, after hearing snippets about the L family and AL in particular, I do not understand why NL fostered a love for and provided practical, hands on experiences with guns. If she acknowledged and shared with others her concerns about her son's capabilities and idiosyncrasies, why would she foster this particular interest and hobby?

Introduction should be based on need. If you are rural family who hunts, much earlier than for those who do not share that interest or lifestyle.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this
It depends on the individual child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StrawberryCool
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

NEVER. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)