Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Safety Drills

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM
  • 23 Replies

Did your children's schools practice them before Friday? Are they practicing them now? What is involved during the drill? What are your thoughts on safety drills?

I just learned today that my sons school had 2 practice safety drills. He is in Kindergarten. During the drill the lights were turned out in the classroom, the doors were locked, and the children were made to stand as quiet as they could against a wall while the Principal went around jiggling the doors and knocking on them. The children were told that no matter who came to the door they were to be quiet and not answer the door.

The children in the class, mine included, were not told about the shooting that happened on Friday as they are only 5 and 6. I have been chewing on this all night and I don't know how I feel about these drills.

ETA:If your schools already conduct safety drills do the students know why the drills are conducted? Do they know it's what they are suppose to do if am armed person comes into the school and starts shooting?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Yes. The practice drills started last year and I think they do two a year. I was surprised when I first read about them. Then they also practice walking to the evacuation site, which is a local church, that is a couple blocks away. 

katy_kay08
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Our schools practice their lockdown proceedures along with the other safety drills (fire drills, earthquake drills).  

I have no problem with these safety drills.  

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Quoting smalltowngal:

Yes. The practice drills started last year and I think they do two a year. I was surprised when I first read about them. Then they also practice walking to the evacuation site, which is a local church, that is a couple blocks away. 

Do your children know "why" the safety drills are conducted?

Ms.Maaamaof2
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

My DH and I are actually challenging our school board on improvements. This started way before the shooting occurred but gave us a stronger motivation.

Our school thinks they have it all figured out, shoot maybe they do. Why not look again.

My DD started Kindergarten and since this time during pick up drop offs we noticed people walking around the campus at all times of day. Keep in mind we have minimum days on Thurs so only K grade gets out early. This is when we first noticed it. No one checks-in or out and it really ticks me off. When I addressed the school it was put off.  Just last month a man took a girl right off a elementary campus about 5 miles from our school and home. That does not sit well with me. Visitors parents teachers and students alike should be clearly identified by a badge at all times IMO.

I emailed our superintendent of the school district and as of today I received aknowledgment and a plan to check and correct all schools in our zone not just my DDs. Maybe I am an annoying over concened parent but maybe I am the difference.

LadyBugMom09
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:17 PM
Our kids have to be prepared for this situation, as horrible as it is. I think it's a good idea.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting smalltowngal:

To be honest about it, I don't know. My DD is pretty talkitive and she's never mentioned them to me.
desertlvn
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:20 PM

My school does these. They are called "lockdown" drills, and students know that it is just in case a bad person is in the neighborhood. We once had a real lockdown because there was a bank robbery and the suspect was fleeing in the neighborhood of the school. 

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Quoting smalltowngal:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting smalltowngal:

To be honest about it, I don't know. My DD is pretty talkitive and she's never mentioned them to me.

My son told me today "they turned off all the lights and we had to be quiet". Luckily his therapist goes to school with him so she gave me the full version of exactly what happened. Kindergarten is the highest grade my son's school goes to. It made me wonder what they say or do at other elementary schools where the children are older. My daughter is in 2nd grade at another school. I think I'm going to go in tomorrow and ask.  We have not shared the shootings with our children and I really don't know when will be an appropriate time. My oldest is only 7 and I don't want school to be a place she fears. She can be a worrier and can obsess on things sometimes.

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM

DD's school started them this week. They had the first one today. I haven't yet asked her what all it entailed. She called it the 'crazy man drill' and said that a teacher would be dressing up as a crazy man for the drill.

katy_kay08
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM

on your edit.  yes my son knows why they conduct lock down drills.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)