Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Think people think! RANT- LENGTHY. If you dont like what you read, DONT READ!

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM
  • 58 Replies
4 moms liked this

People are taking this whole Sandy Hook situation way too far. I do feel sorry for them. Those innocent kids did nothing to deserve this- much less the families of those killed or wounded. My heart goes out to them. But someone please explain to me- how is taking guns away gonna make the world safer?

Weed is illegal. I know plenty of people that smoke it. Sell it. Make it. Meth is illegal. How many times have I opened the newspaper to read that some meth lab was busted? That someone OD'd on meth? Fully automatic guns are illegal- but people have somehow found a way to get them. So if you make guns illegal, guess what? People can still get a hold of them.

A man killed in China killed kids with a knife- let's make knives illegal. People have been killed from knives. People commit suicide by car exhaust- let's make cars illegal. Oh and let's not forget people who have died in car accidents. Parents have killed their kids- let's make childbirth illegal. How many times have you heard about another bomb make with fertilizer? Let's make that illegal. A woman killed her husband with antifreeze. Let's make that illegal. Booze- people die from booze, either from drunk drivers, alcohol poisoning, or something else. Let's make that illegal. Prescription drugs kill people- hey! Pass a law against prescription drugs! I have read many stories about people being drowned- let's make water illegal! Do you see how stupid and ridiculous that sounds?

A mother can make a decision to kill her unborn child if she doesnt want it. Why is that considered a woman's right, but if a stranger comes and kill your child, that is considered murder? We execute how many prisoners a year under the death penalty? How is lethal injection not illegal? Illegal aliens, excuse me, 'undocumented immigrants', cross the border all the time- and no one sees anything wrong with it. "They just want a better life for themselves", even though they get more government assistance than most AMERICAN citizens who need it. People can get away with murder because it is in self defense or they just 'snapped and didnt mean to do it."  A person can be falsely accused of rape, molestation, etc and be branded for life by a grudge and a lie. Kids can have sex earlier and earlier- it is just 'kids being kids'. Nothing wrong with a 13 year old girl having a baby, especially if the 'baby daddy' is 14. That is normal. Those kids cannot provide a good life for that child- how is that not illegal?

My husband and I are NOT for gun control. You want people to stop killing each other with guns? Educate the public. Learn about gun SAFETY. I myself am learning to shoot. Gun safety. Why? Because I want to protect myself and my child. I doubt that a knife is going to scare someone intent on harming us. Point a .44 Magnum with a 13 inch barrel at someone, and they may thing twice about hurting someone else. And yes, when my child gets old enough, he/she will learn gun safety. Learn how to shoot. Learn how to handle a gun. Yes to go hunting, and to protect themselves in times of need.

"But the police can protect the population." 2 years ago, I was robbed at my job. 3 men came in. Held a knife to my throat. Threatened to kill me if I didnt do as they say. I hit the panic button as soon as I saw them. When did the police show up? 45 mintutes later, after they had robbed me and stabbed me. And I worked 15 minutes from the closest station. They did NOTHING to protect me. But I bet if I had had a gun, they would have thought different about robbing me.

You give guns to only a select few and guess what? They get power hungry. They start believing they are better than everyone else. They start looking down at those that dont have. And they start to realize that those that dont have guns has no way to stand up against them. And they know they can get away with anything.

How many other countries tried to ban guns? And how many people died in those so called peaceful counties?

I read that the company that bought out Bushmaster is selling off their stock in the company and returning remaining investment money to the investers. What good is that doing? Destroying a company? Ok. How about the company that made those missiles our PRESIDENT sent to Turkey? I bet innocent people will die from their use. And yet no one in that company is feeling bad. They arent going out business. How about when an officer kills a student at a college campus? No one is saying to put that college out of business. No one is saying to put the gunmaker out of business. It is stupid to hold the gunmaker responsible for a consumer using their product. If that was the case, we need to hold Smirnoff and Budwieser responsible. GM Motors, American Airlines, Honda Motors, etc all had people die from someone else using their products.

No one is thinking about one point- that the kid that shot everyone wasnt even suppossed to have the gun. HIS MOTHER had the gun. Is it her fault that she was murdered and her guns stolen and used in a mass shooting? Taking away guns from the general populace is only punishing those that are obeying the gun laws already in place! Why should they (and my family) be punished because some kid decided he was miserable and wanted to take as many people with him as he can when he kills himself?

Almost all legal gun owners are responsible. They wouldnt do something like this. I have rarely heard of someone taking their own gun and shooting people. Those that have used guns to do something like this have stolen the gun or 'borrowed' the gun from a friend or neighbor.

I have a basic right to bear arms. That means I have a right to protect my family. With guns. Who cares if it is a pistol, a rifle, a black powder muzzle loader, a semiautomatic with a rail system, or even a freaking double barrel shotgun? My house. My car. My property. You intrude in my house or my property, guess what? You wont just get a stern talking to. You will see the barrel of my gun pointed in your direction. I refuse to be a victim again. And I refuse to allow my child to be a victim in my house. And yes, I plan on getting a carrying permit.

You know, I think that if every household had a gun, and everyone was trained to use it, there would be less home break-ins and such crimes.

Sorry for the extra long rant. And if you dont agree with me, go ahead and let me know. I understand that people have different opinions. Just dont be mean about it. That solves nothing. I just wanted to get all this off my chest. I am not asking everyone to agree with me. But please, think about things before you start signing petitions and shouting for more gun control.

And for those that are blaming video games and violent movies, please stop. Parents and caregivers need to step up. Moniter what your kids are doing. If you find something they arent suppossed to have- GET RID OF IT. If they buy it themselves- take away their money and credit cards. Looking online? Guess what? Get rid of computer and Iphone. XBOX LIVE too violent? Pull the plug. Dont expect everyone else to do your job for you. If they go see movies they arent suppossed to see- why werent those kids at home? Why not talk to your kids about what is acceptable? As a parent, you DO have a say in what your kid watches and plays. I understand that teenagers will be teenagers and rebel. But at the same time, if you take the time to speak to your kids, and get their ideas and thoughts and to give them yours, they may suprise you.

Dont blame everyone else for what a handful of others have done. Do you blame every man when a woman or child gets raped? Do you blame every car and every bar when a drunk driver kills someone? Do you ban junk food when someone overweight dies? Do you blame every police officer or military personel when some one else in their post/unit/station kills someone? Do you blame the doctor when a crazy person harms someone else? Do you blame all kids when you hear that a 12 year old boy killed his cousin for her bike? Do you blame all meds when someone has an allergic reaction? Do you blame all houses when you slip and fall in your house? Do you scream and holler for the death of all dogs when a dog attacks and harms someone? NO. You dont. So why start blaming now?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM
6 moms liked this

Just fyi (I didn't read past the second or third paragraph), the children in China attacked with a knife didn't die, as far as I know. 

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep, that's a rant right there.

jillianmayasmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM
7 moms liked this
Nobody is talking about taking away guns.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the people attacked in China died.

Comparing abortion to mass murder is like comparing apples and cucumbers.

Countries with stricter gun control laws have far fewer occurrences of gun deaths.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RAJ88
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this
This is why constant shootings are happening in the states. I feel truly bless to lice in Canada where guns are used for hunting and rarely anything else. Good luck America
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:07 AM
17 moms liked this
There hasn't been one bill proposed since I have been alive to modify our Constitution and repeal the 2nd Amendment (that I am aware of). So unclench and join the actual debate and tell us why you need a modified military assault rifle with a 30 round magazine.
jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:09 AM
2 moms liked this

Nobody has proposed banning all guns.

And as someone else mentioned, all the Chinese children in the knife attack survived.

Roisin07
by Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Whole heartedly agree with everything you said. Enough said:)

And our 2nd amedments rights are in the process of being modified.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Thank you, we need all the blessings we can get.

Quoting RAJ88:

This is why constant shootings are happening in the states. I feel truly bless to lice in Canada where guns are used for hunting and rarely anything else. Good luck America
Rhiannon1980
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:18 AM
I agree with everything you said
katy_kay08
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:23 AM
6 moms liked this

you rant about people acting from a place of emotion but your entire rant is based on your personal fears rather than the reality of what most the gun control discussion is even focused on.  

Stricter background checks to weed out those that have a propensity to do harm, closing the gun show loopholes that allow people that shouldn't be purchasing guns to get them and a renewal of the assault guns ban.  (that banned 18 specific weapons and high capacity magazines).  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured