Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just Curious A Question For The Hunters

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:07 AM
  • 15 Replies

You all have me thinking from my other post. Just out of curiosity how much does it cost to butcher all the animals you've hunted and how long does it last? 

Do people butcher it themselves, or pay someone else to do it? I remember my ex bil would pay a butcher. 

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:10 AM

My husband butchers all birds himself. He's never shot a deer but I think a pig cost around $1.30 a lb to get done. I think my BIL butchers deer himself. He has picked up roadkill deer before if he hits it with a car or watches another car hit it. 

greenie63
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Thanks momma! 

Quoting smalltowngal:

My husband butchers all birds himself. He's never shot a deer but I think a pig cost around $1.30 a lb to get done. I think my BIL butchers deer himself. He has picked up roadkill deer before if he hits it with a car or watches another car hit it. 

Claire-Huxtable
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:14 AM

usually under 2 dollars a pound to have someone else do it.

JoyfulinSD
by Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:17 AM

The average deer harvest os about 110 lbs of meat from a deer (after the bones are out.)  The deer license costs $15 for Does and $25 for bucks.  The kids get 2 doe tags for $5.00 each.  This is about $.12 per pound of meat.  we process the meat ourselves, 50% steaks and roast, 30% canned and the rest as jerky or summer sausage or perrer sticks.  After buying the spices and castings, we average about $.20 per pound for the meat with the license cost added in there.  If you were to take this to a shop to be done, it's about $1.00 a pound around here.  We're in South Dakota things can be a bit cheaper here.

Simmeringhearts
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:18 AM

My son in law does it himself. My mom pays the local locker.

sjenkins8208
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:21 AM
My dh does it himself for ours. Cost about $20 for the freezer paper. In our town, it cost $85 to have it done at the meatlocker.
HaileysMom07180
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:21 AM

my sister hunts moose every fall (she's in AK).  She tries to get at least one cuz it feeds her family for the year.  she pays a butcher to butcher it for her, usually it costs around $600 to do.

eema.gray
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I live in an apartment, do not have the ability to hang and butcher at this time.  The butcher I go to charges a dollar a pound.  The pronghorn I got weighed 120, undressed, so I paid $120 to have him butchered.  When we are homeowners, I'll hang and dress my own animals but a dollar a pound is a pretty good deal for meat.  :-)

krysstizzle
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Costs nothing. We butcher deer ourselves. Just time and some supplies for storing. Less than $20, easily. We have storage, a deep freezer and extra fridge. (I say we: my grandparents have this, I help them, and I get meat throughout the year)

mybabysmama35
by Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:12 PM

My dh can butcher it himself. Basically the only cost is the ammo and the license. Of course buying the gun is a big expense but that's only once. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)