Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Having to shut off Cable & Internet to pay for Healthcare increase :(

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:09 AM
  • 498 Replies
1 mom liked this

Our Health Ins. has slowing been raising.  We just received notice that on April 1st (hope it's a April fools joke) it's going up by $262/mo.  That means we will be paying approx. $762/mo.!  The Reps. were right in saying that we will have to be paying over $2,000 more a yr.  :(  When I voted for Obama the first time & he first took office.  He said he is going do something about the raising cost of Healthcare in this Country.  So, WHY is it going up SO much???

I decided in order to pay for this increase, to shut off our Cable/TV & Internet :(  UNLESS, I can find a job to pay for this increase.  Anyone else having their Healthcare premiums going up SO much?  Come next yr. I didn't want to go out work.  I decided this is my time to go back to school & perhaps FINALLY earn that degree.  I planned on it every since my kids graduated from High School, 5 yrs. ago.  But, when the recession hit, I was TOO afraid to spend the money.  I just recently got internet, as I was using the Library's.  I thought I'd need it for College.  This sucks! 

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Claire-Huxtable
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I feel for you, but it doesn't matter to many because you need to pay more.

katy_kay08
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:13 AM
7 moms liked this

Well it generally goes up as you age.  That is no secret and certainly isn't new.  

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:16 AM
2 moms liked this

I know that a lot of people don't care :(  We will having to pay for more for Healthcare than we do our house payment.  We don't even use it but 1 a yr., because we also don't want the $25/co. pays. each time we go.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

I feel for you, but it doesn't matter to many because you need to pay more.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM
4 moms liked this
No our healthcare costs are actually going down. Because more is covered by the insurance and the premiums aren't going up by much.
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

And once the exchange goes up and people see the prices they are paying and the prices they could be paying. I imagine the prices will go down once competition kicks in.

But if it makes you feel better. That extra $262 you will be paying is going to help kids, teenagers, moms, and dads get treatment that they might have died from before.

I am going to cut my Cable as well and just use Netflix. To save extra money.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Let me ask me Katykay, how much do you & your family pay?  What gets me it doesn't matter if it's just my husband & I, or if we had a huge family.  The cost would be the same.  The Reps. has been saying it's going up for the average family, I'm thinking "Middle Class" families.  Doesn't matter what your age is. 

Quoting katy_kay08:

Well it generally goes up as you age.  That is no secret and certainly isn't new.  

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:20 AM
22 moms liked this

This has nothing to do with Pres. Obama.  It has to do with your age.  You are at the age where certain procedures become recommended by doctors.  Insurance companies always hike prices up at certain ages.  It's what happened when Republicans deregulated insurance companies and allowed them to become profitable organizations tradeable on the stock exchange.  Insurance companies should NOT be allowed to profit off our health or the lack of it.

Claire-Huxtable
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:23 AM
3 moms liked this

Seriously, how insensitive can you be?

How do you know she doesn't already help people and now she can't even afford stuff to help more?

Quoting brookiecookie87:

And once the exchange goes up and people see the prices they are paying and the prices they could be paying. I imagine the prices will go down once competition kicks in.

But if it makes you feel better. That extra $262 you will be paying is going to help kids, teenagers, moms, and dads get treatment that they might have died from before.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Yeah, well I bet a lot of the families that don't have to pay for their Healthcare or pay very little, also have their Cable & Internet.  Isn't right or fair.  My husband are both at the age, we need to prepare for retirement.  My husband is 62.  In a few yrs. my husband will have to stop working.  But, with all this raising prices of EVERYTHING, it's not a very pleasant thought.  I'm going to start looking for a job, after the New Yr.  I was hoping to just go back to school instead.  I spent yrs. raising my kids & was very successful.  It paid off being a SAHM.  I always thought, well now it's 'my turn'.  Guess not.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Lottie925
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:26 AM

That sucks! What about doing a few babysitting jobs in the evenings when you DH is home? A night out to parents is worth $40. If you put the word out to friends, hey, looking ot make a few buck doing some occasional evening or weekend babysitting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)