Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does Anybody Celebrate Kwanzaa?

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:48 PM
  • 79 Replies

They always sing a Kwanzaa song at my kid's Winter Holiday Concert.  And Scholastic magazine always includes a nod to Kwanzaa this time of year.  But I don't think I know anybody who celebrates Kwanzaa.

Do you celebrate it?

Do you know anyone who does?

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:51 PM

bump

Bieg9093
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Quoting Euphoric:

bump

Is that a no?

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:18 PM

yep

Quoting Bieg9093:

Quoting Euphoric:

bump

Is that a no?

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I don't. I don't know anyone who does.

tiffyhamm
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:24 PM

my mom and grandmother do every year, as do many of my cousins and a couple of aunts.  my mini fam has celebrated it three years.  i did almost every year when i was younger and still living at home.

Bieg9093
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Quoting tiffyhamm:

my mom and grandmother do every year, as do many of my cousins and a couple of aunts.  my mini fam has celebrated it three years.  i did almost every year when i was younger and still living at home.

Oh GOOD!  I was beginning to wonder if it was obsolete and I just didn't get the memo.  When I meet the parents of kids in my class each year, I always ask what holidays they celebrate (because it's good to know when doing calendar and choosing stories to read.)  But at the concert tonight, I realized nobody had EVER told me they celebrate Kwanzaa.

Thanks!

And have a happy Kwanzaa!

tiffyhamm
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Quoting Bieg9093:

Quoting tiffyhamm:

Oh GOOD!  I was beginning to wonder if it was obsolete and I just didn't get the memo.  When I meet the parents of kids in my class each year, I always ask what holidays they celebrate (because it's good to know when doing calendar and choosing stories to read.)  But at the concert tonight, I realized nobody had EVER told me they celebrate Kwanzaa.

Thanks!

And have a happy Kwanzaa!

thanks!

yeah, i have found that not that many people celebrate it, but i know some that do.  i don't celebrate often, but i think i might again this year.

jpalmer
by New Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 12:24 AM
12 moms liked this
I find the principles of kwanzaa are absolutly beautiful!!!

The Principles of Kwanzaa
umoja (oo-MOH-ja)
Meaning: unity Action: building a community that holds together

kujichagulia (koo-jee-cha-goo-LEE-yah)
Meaning: self-determination Action: speaking for yourself and making choices that benefit the community

ujima (oo-JEE-mah)
Meaning: collective work and responsibility Action: helping others within the community

ujamaa (oo-JAH-ma)
Meaning: cooperative economics Action: supporting businesses that care about the community

nia (nee-AH)
Meaning: a sense of purpose Action: setting goals that benefit the community

kuumba (koo-OOM-bah)
Meaning: creativity Action: making the community better and more beautiful

imani (ee-MAH-nee)
Meaning: faith Action: believing that a better world can be created for communities now and in the future

In my honest opinion...I think we should ALL take part in Kwanzaa...it was started in 1966 to help build our communities and our people. With the way things are now days I feel that no matter the race...it is something we can all be apart of!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PortiaRose
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 12:29 AM
Too nuch work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissElissa21
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Interesting. I don't and I don't know anyone that does either. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)