Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama Uses Funeral Service to Talk About Himself

Posted by   + Show Post

President Barack Obama used the funeral for Hawaii senator Daniel Inouye to talk about himself. In the short 1,600 word speech, Obama used the word "my" 21 times, "me" 12 times, and "I" 30 times.

Obama's speech discussed how Inouye had gotten him interested in politics. "Danny was elected to the U.S. Senate when I was two years old," he said.

Speaking to the audience at the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C., Obama talked about his family and their vacations. "Now, even though my mother and grandparents took great pride that they had voted for him, I confess that I wasn't paying much attention to the United States Senate at the age of four or five or six. It wasn't until I was 11 years old that I recall even learning what a U.S. senator was, or it registering, at least. It was during my summer vacation with my family -- my first trip to what those of us in Hawaii call the Mainland," said Obama.

So we flew over the ocean, and with my mother and my grandmother and my sister, who at the time was two, we traveled around the country. It was a big trip. We went to Seattle, and we went to Disneyland -- which was most important. We traveled to Kansas where my grandmother's family was from, and went to Chicago, and went to Yellowstone. And we took Greyhound buses most of the time, and we rented cars, and we would stay at local motels or Howard Johnson's. And if there was a pool at one of these motels, even if it was http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-uses-funeral-service-talk-about-himself_690960.html

just tiny, I would be very excited. And the ice machine was exciting -- and the vending machine, I was really excited about that.

by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 2:29 PM
Replies (41-50):
lga1965
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 11:04 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting momma2b2008:

That's not suprising at all! He is extreemly self absorbed!

Oh for God's sake. HOW? I bet you can't even say WHY. You are parroting what others have said....He's not as self absorbed as You are.... Not as self absorbed as the Conservatives who are still telling themselves that only THEY know the "truth " about Obama....This is so dishonest and so shallow and ignorant.

OMG. Everytime I see comments like thIs ,I am amazed at the total lack of perception and judgement.

momma2b2008
by Bronze Member on Dec. 22, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this
This

Quoting LaceNBklyn:

I am a supporter but this

Quoting mehamil1:

I am not an Obama supporter. But this is just bullshit. When talking at a funeral, this is what people do. Talk about their personal experiences with the person who died. 

AdellesMom
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Lmao!

The man was talking about his experiences and memories with the deceased.

Grasp at straws much?

Quoting momma2b2008:

Then prove me wrong, sweetie!

Tell me how his man is NOT self absorbed? Please! Because I really want to know what you have to say!!

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting momma2b2008:

Oh for God's sake. HOW? I bet you can't even say WHY. You are parroting what others have said....He's not as self absorbed as You are.... Not as self absorbed as the Conservatives who are still telling themselves that only THEY know the "truth " about Obama....This is so dishonest and so shallow and ignorant.

OMG. Everytime I see comments like thIs ,I am amazed at the total lack of perception and judgement.

AdellesMom
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 11:15 PM
3 moms liked this
Exactly.

My dads funeral was today and I spoke of my memories and experiences with him, and the effect he had on my children.

Quoting KamWorthy:

This is not out of the ordinary. Often times one will speak of how the deceased has touched their lives in order to relate to the audience, giving them an example of the impact he made on lives.. Now, if it had been a eulogy, that's different.
AdellesMom
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this
And?

My favorite subject is me too.

I'm very proud of myself! 😉

Quoting momma2b2008:

I was not talking about this event specifically! I was talking about him in general! His favorite subject is HIM! Smh!

Quoting AdellesMom:

Lmao!

The man was talking about his experiences and memories with the deceased.

Grasp at straws much?

Quoting momma2b2008:

Then prove me wrong, sweetie!

Tell me how his man is NOT self absorbed? Please! Because I really want to know what you have to say!!

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting momma2b2008:

lga1965
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I am sorry. My sympathies to you and your family.

Yes, this is what we do. We reminisce and tell of our experiences with the person we honor at their funeral.

Quoting AdellesMom:

Exactly.

My dads funeral was today and I spoke of my memories and experiences with him, and the effect he had on my children.

Quoting KamWorthy:

This is not out of the ordinary. Often times one will speak of how the deceased has touched their lives in order to relate to the audience, giving them an example of the impact he made on lives.. Now, if it had been a eulogy, that's different.

AdellesMom
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 11:25 PM
Thank you.

You're right.

Quoting lga1965:

I am sorry. My sympathies to you and your family.

Yes, this is what we do. We reminisce and tell of our experiences with the person we honor at their funeral.

Quoting AdellesMom:

Exactly.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Dec. 22, 2012 at 11:29 PM
4 moms liked this

i think the people who are having a problem with this speech.. are the ones who are arrogant and self centered.

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Dec. 22, 2012 at 11:47 PM
3 moms liked this

Op, thanks for proving my thoughts on some right wing nuts.  They are easily misled, tend to not care about facts, etc.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN