Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Was Too generous with presents

Posted by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 7:39 AM
  • 15 Replies

I have a close friend and her two daughters (ages 9 and 4) are like nieces to me. I'm closer to the older one so I have a tendency to buy her gifts and not to get as much for her younger sister. I decided to rectify this this Christmas.

I bought the younger girl: an American Girl doll ($104) but the doll (Caroline) had an ugly dress so I added a fancy Holiday outfit (another $36). For the older girl, I got her:  a $25 iTunes gift-card (she loves her iPod touch) and a plush blue "Angry Birds" toy ($30). The girls are very good at sharing, so I'm sure they'll share the toys with the exception of the gift-card.

My question is, is spending a total of over $200 ($195+9% tax) too much for an "Aunt" to spend on two girls?

Please note I am not overshadowing Santa/their parents, her mother is a doctor and is buying them a very fancy dollhouse and more this Christmas. Last Christmas the older girl got an iPod touch (I'm not sure what the youngest got that year).

The girls are also not-spoiled, they are extremely well behaved, polite, etc.

by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 7:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Dec. 24, 2012 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I dislike "aunts" that favourite kids.  They dont understand it and they feel it.  I think its great that you recognise it and are rectifying it.  As for the amount...meh, I buy stuff for my friends kids that I thought they would like...never thought about how much I spent on them.

CLEKate
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Can you afford it?  If so, then it isn't too much.

Gift giving should not be about how much money you spend.  It's about how much the child will enjoy the gift. 

Tomom66
by New Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I can afford it. I just bought what I thought they'd like, ignoring the price. It's just that I saw this segment  on "The Today Show" about excessive. Gift-giving, then added up the price in my head, I have a tendency to second guess myself.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Dec. 24, 2012 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

This

Quoting CLEKate:

Can you afford it?  If so, then it isn't too much.

Gift giving should not be about how much money you spend.  It's about how much the child will enjoy the gift. 

Naughty Wittle Puppy

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Dec. 24, 2012 at 8:38 AM

I struggle with this every year with my own children. Every year I want to instigate the three gift rule: One thing you want, one thing you need, and one surprise. However, my kids still wind up with tons of gifts under the tree. They are not spoiled and well behaved..also the gifts are mostly small and inexpensive, just something fun to open that I know they will like. We have not indulged them with expensive electronics and things we cannot afford...so I am justifying this to myself here right now..LOL

Quoting Tomom66:

I can afford it. I just bought what I thought they'd like, ignoring the price. It's just that I saw this segment  on "The Today Show" about excessive. Gift-giving, then added up the price in my head, I have a tendency to second guess myself.

Naughty Wittle Puppy

hollinicole
by Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 8:40 AM
I say its not too much, my sister is in Germany, Army, and am way more closer to her DD then their son, have not got to meet him yet besides Skype. But I helped raise Lily since the day she was born and is like my own child, so I did find it hard to buy for E because am not as close with him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Who cares what you spent. The fact that you know you've shown favoritism is the problem.

I'm not sure what scale of spending you are going by, since there is none.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 8:51 AM
"Hard to buy for" ? Because you don't know what to buy, or you don't like him as well?

Quoting hollinicole:

I say its not too much, my sister is in Germany, Army, and am way more closer to her DD then their son, have not got to meet him yet besides Skype. But I helped raise Lily since the day she was born and is like my own child, so I did find it hard to buy for E because am not as close with him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aivlys_
by Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 8:56 AM
I try to spend the same amount on all my nephews, we went with $250 each. I have 6 nephews so it wasn't that much. I adore them all!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Dec. 24, 2012 at 9:22 AM

We don't spend that much on nieces and nephews.  We normally spend about $25 each (I have two nieces and two nephews).  I'm a good shopper and was able to get my nieces Coach wristlets for an incredible price so they are getting $60 items lol and I will be the good aunt this year.  :-)

I show no favoritism to any of the kids, it's Christmas, they should all feel special and loved.

My nephews are both autistic and they get gift cards so their parents can get what is best for them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)