Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pinterest *fluffy-ish*

Posted by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:35 AM
  • 61 Replies
Someone please explain this to me. I just signed up for an account and was browsing. I just don't get it - what's the point of 'pinning' things? Can just anyone see what I pin?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jehosoba84
by Jenn on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:56 AM

You pin things you like so that it is saved for you on your board. It's so you can remember it or refer back to it if you want to duplicate it. And no, not just anyone can see what you pin. at least i dont think so

crazymommy30
by Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:57 AM

The pictures that you "pin" are links back to the original recipe or whatever. The point of it is to be able to see something you would like to make, do, or buy, and then be able to get back to it later. It eliminates that "Where did I see that awesome chicken recipe?" feeling. People who follow your boards can see what you are pinning, but you can make a secret board if you want to. 

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:58 AM
If you pin something popular enough everyone on Pinterest has the potential to see it, and follow you. Mostly, it's just your friends that will see it.
I pin mostly recipes to try, cleaning and money saving tips, and crafts.
queenanne
by Silver Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:59 AM

For some people, it's kind of a to-do wish list. My son & his fiancee just created an account for wedding ideas that the come across.

I use mine just for fun.

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Ahhh...recipes. I got my recipe for baked cream cheese squares from there and they are a hit with DH and the daycare providers.

punky3175
by Punky on Dec. 24, 2012 at 11:33 AM
I use pepperplate.com for my recipes so that's not really an appeal for me. I can import recipes there from 20-30 different websites and they are all organized nicely so I'm basically creating my own cookbook where I can also create special menus and shopping lists as plan weekly meals/dinners.

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Ahhh...recipes. I got my recipe for baked cream cheese squares from there and they are a hit with DH and the daycare providers.

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting punky3175:

I use pepperplate.com for my recipes so that's not really an appeal for me. I can import recipes there from 20-30 different websites and they are all organized nicely so I'm basically creating my own cookbook where I can also create special menus and shopping lists as plan weekly meals/dinners.

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Well, now I have to google pepperplate.com!!

punky3175
by Punky on Dec. 24, 2012 at 11:52 AM
I love it cuz you can access it on computer, iPhone and kindle. :-) and it all syncs nicely. I need to spend time categorizing the 700-ish recipes I have saved there. I've got a lot of them categorized but not all yet.

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Quoting punky3175:

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Well, now I have to google pepperplate.com!!

katy_kay08
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 12:05 PM

People can search your pins (I think you can set privacy perameters for your boards) and people can follow your boards.  I use it to pin sewing projects I want to try, knitting patterns, crafts for the kids, recipes and ideas for the home.  I try to make sure everything links back to the original source for the information on each project.  Some people aren't so good about it and will just link random pictures that lead you no where.  

It's essentially a giant online bulletin board for keeping track of things you want to keep track of and it allows you to share with others that may also want to keep track of the same things.  

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 1:33 PM
2 moms liked this

I haven't gone down the pinterest road yet, mostly because I am not crafty, and it is my understanding that it is a lot of that type of thing.

Sounds like a good place for creative ideas, though.  Too bad I am much too lazy, lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured