Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Michelle to remain in Hawaii, costing taxpayers even more.

Posted by   + Show Post

Michelle to Remain in Hawaii, Costing Taxpayers Over $100K

by KEITH KOFFLER on DECEMBER 26, 2012, 8:42 AM

President Obama will return to Washington from Hawaii Thursday while First Lady Michelle Obama and her daughters plan to continue their vacation, adding at least $100,000 and probably more than $200,000 to taxpayer costs for the excursion.

Instead of accompanying her husband home on Air Force One, Mrs. Obama will fly on her own Air Force jet at a later date and require security and staff to remain in place in Hawaii for the length of her stay, which reportedly could extend until January 6.

Michelle laughing

The White House does not reveal the price tag for the Obamas’ vacations. But an estimate can be made given several known and likely expenses.

Assuming Mrs. Obama uses the type of plane she has flown before to Hawaii, the Air Force C-40B Special Mission Aircraft, the cost of a flight from Honolulu to Washington would be about $63,000. If the C-40B must be flown out to Hawaii to retrieve Mrs. Obama, as would seem likely, the first lady’s travel costs could amount to about $126,000, assuming the jet is dispatched from Washington.

And the cost would be much higher still if a supply-carrying cargo jet comes home along with Michelle in addition to the cargo jet that accompanies Air Force One – particularly if that jet too must be flown out to Hawaii just for Mrs. Obama.

Once you throw in the tens of thousands of dollars that must be dished out to house, pay, and support the military and Secret Service assets enlisted to protect Mrs. Obama – as well as other support staff – the price tag for her stay is probably in excess of $200,000, and possibly much more, depending on how long she remains on vacation.

Mrs. Obama flew to Hawaii separately from the president in 2010 and 2011, in those cases leaving early with the family while he finished work with Congress and then joined them for the remainder of the vacation.

If Obama strikes an early deal on the fiscal cliff and then returns to Hawaii to finish up his vacation, the tab for taxpayers would be extraordinary. Air Force One costs about $180,000 an hour to fly, and the roundtrip taxpayer-funded ticket for the nine-hour flight would amount to about $3.24 million.

Obama plans to fly out of Hawaii Wednesday night at about 10:00 pm local time, which would get him to the White House at around 12:30 pm ET on Thursday.

by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 10:29 AM
Replies (21-30):
tooptimistic
by Kelly on Dec. 26, 2012 at 11:07 AM
4 moms liked this

A bargain compared to 4 MILLION for ONE trip.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

His trips to the ranch were not "Practically free" in any remote sense.

http://www.politicususa.com/gop-owes-taxpayers-124-million-bush-vacation-travel.html

Number of George W. Bush flights for vacation in Crawford, TX: 77

Cost of running Air Force One: $179,000/hour

Flight time one way from the White House to Crawford: 4.5 hours

Cost of one way flight: $805,500

Roundtrip cost: $1,611,000

Total cost to taxpayers of Bush’s vacation trips to the ranch: $124,047,000

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Let's look on the bright side...46 cents of every dollar spent will be borrowed...and paid for by our great-granchildren....so today's taxpayer is actually getting a half price deal!!!!

It cracks me up when people talk about Bush going to his ranch...those vacations were practically free compared to what the Obama's have been spending.  It also cracks me up how people will bring up Bush when they simply have no defense for Obama and just want to say "well someone else did it."  That doesn't make it okay.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 11:08 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting tooptimistic:

I often wonder how many Hawaiian vacations the Obamas took before he was president..

There is a vacation destination for presidents.. its called CAMP DAVID.  Bush owned his ranch and there wasn't millions spent on ocean from prime mega expensive Hawaii resort rooms.  When Bush was president we weren't in a depression.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Let's look on the bright side...46 cents of every dollar spent will be borrowed...and paid for by our great-granchildren....so today's taxpayer is actually getting a half price deal!!!!

It cracks me up when people talk about Bush going to his ranch...those vacations were practically free compared to what the Obama's have been spending.  It also cracks me up how people will bring up Bush when they simply have no defense for Obama and just want to say "well someone else did it."  That doesn't make it okay.

I wouldn't mind if the Obama's made trips to their home in Chicago...of course..I suppose it is a slum compared to their current standards.

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Dec. 26, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Yes, but we pay for AFO, all of the secret service lodging etc.  They are staying at the most expensive resort in Hawaii. Scroll up a few replies and see the costs.  4 MILLION, and now add on the extra expense that Michelle just dumped on us

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

The Obamas' pay for their lodging.

Quoting tooptimistic:

I often wonder how many Hawaiian vacations the Obamas took before he was president..

There is a vacation destination for presidents.. its called CAMP DAVID.  Bush owned his ranch and there wasn't millions spent on ocean from prime mega expensive Hawaii resort rooms.  When Bush was president we weren't in a depression.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Dec. 26, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I wouldn't mind if the Obama's made trips to their home in Chicago...of course..I suppose it is a slum compared to their current standards.

Would cost us MUCH less.

momtimesx4
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 11:11 AM

High security for a wookie

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Quoting TigOlBitties:

Just like this article and the comment that I quoted. There seems to be a theme in this post.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Asinine

Quoting TigOlBitties:

Lol. You're right... Bush was spending his time making sure we would be in a depression when he left.

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Yup....and it is STICK YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 11:13 AM
2 moms liked this

This would be true. IF President Obama made 77 trips to Hawaii. However-That is not the case.

And you are still missing the point. My point was not, "Bush was worse!". My point is Republicans do this too. So trying to make it like it is something only Democrats do is extremely silly. This isn't a "Look Democrats are wasting money issue!". Because if he was a Republican this would still be happening.

The point is this is a problem with the System. And it is made ten times worse by the fact that we only have two parties to pick from and people seem to think when one of their candidates are picked the problem will go away.

Or in your case even worse. You think when your candidate does it that it is a good thing (A bargain-Right).

If everyone across the board would get upset at the Government for this-It would change. But instead of getting upset at the system people point out at the opposite party and say, "Democrats are wrong for doing this!". and then next election democrats will say, "Republicans are wrong for doing this!". And it will just repeat.

If both Republicans/Democrats said, "This is a gross waste of money and it needs to stop". The message would stay the same and need to be address. Opposed to the illusion of it being addressed by the changing of political parties in the White House.

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

http://www.politicususa.com/gop-owes-taxpayers-124-million-bush-vacation-travel.html

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Actually the cost of AF1 was much cheaper while Bush was in office, about 1/3 of the price per hour.

During Bush’s two terms, the cost of operating Air Force One ranged from $56,800 to $68,000 an hour. Bush used Air Force One 77 times to go to his ranch in Crawford, TX. Using the low end cost of $56,800, Media Matters calculated that each trip to Crawford cost taxpayers $259,687 each time, and $20 million total for Bush’s ranch flights.
Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shannonnigans
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 11:16 AM
2 moms liked this
Seems like a pretty normal discussion that takes place in every family at some point when one is called back to work while on vacation; "no sense in all of us having to cut it short - you and the kids stay and enjoy yourselves, I'll go." I can't believe we are even discussing this. Thankfully I have some skiing to do. And if my guy has to go back, I'm staying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tooptimistic
by Kelly on Dec. 26, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I didn't once say Democrats were wrong for doing this.. I think Obama and Michelle are wrong for doing this.

They (and all presidents) have a vacation place, its called CAMP DAVID.

Bushes trips to the ranch were a bargain compared to how much the Obamas travels have cost us.  I think it would have been better for Bush to vacation at Camp David too.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

This would be true. IF President Obama made 77 trips to Hawaii. However-That is not the case.

And you are still missing the point. My point was not, "Bush was worse!". My point is Republicans do this too. So trying to make it like it is something only Democrats do is extremely silly. This isn't a "Look Democrats are wasting money issue!". Because if he was a Republican this would still be happening.

The point is this is a problem with the System. And it is made ten times worse by the fact that we only have two parties to pick from and people seem to think when one of their candidates are picked the problem will go away.

Or in your case even worse. You think when your candidate does it that it is a good thing (A bargain-Right).

If everyone across the board would get upset at the Government for this-It would change. But instead of getting upset at the system people point out at the opposite party and say, "Democrats are wrong for doing this!". and then next election democrats will say, "Republicans are wrong for doing this!". And it will just repeat.

If both Republicans/Democrats said, "This is a gross waste of money and it needs to stop". The message would stay the same and need to be address. Opposed to the illusion of it being addressed by the changing of political parties in the White House.

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured