Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you support condom dispensers in your local high school?

Posted by   + Show Post

Condom Dispensers Could Be Coming to a High School Near You

Posted by Jeanne Sager on December 27, 2012

condomsReady for a twist in the old "should teenagers have access to birth control" debate? Some 22 high schools in Philadelphia will be welcoming students back in the new year with brand new condom dispensers. So is this a matter of schools overstepping their bounds and infringing on parents rights? Or is this just one way the schools fulfill their role in kids' lives?

After all, Philadelphia's deputy mayor of health was questioned about the condom dispensers, and he explained that schools are partners with parents in raising kids. Put it that way, and schools giving our kids condoms is really the responsible thing to do, right?

Let's just think about this for a minute.

It's ultimately a parent's responsibility to keep kids safe. That's why most parents who really think things through would side with preventing STDs over pretending their precious little snowflake will never ever ever have sex.

But parents have already ceded a significant amount of control over the welfare of our kids to the schools. We more or less have to, considering our kids typically spend more of their waking hours on a school campus than they do with us.

We already expect the schools to help us prepare our kids for the real world, expanding classes beyond mere reading, writing, and 'rithmetic to life skills' training in the likes of driving and often basic parenting skills. In many places, sex ed is even part of the curriculum (and rightly so).

So why not? Why shouldn't schools be as proactive as parents are or at least as parents should be? Why shouldn't they help us prepare kids for safe sex?

Would you support condom dispensers in your local high school?

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Replies (11-20):
queenanne
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 3:13 PM

absolutely.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 3:15 PM
YES!!! 1000 times, YES!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 3:17 PM
6 moms liked this
Well then lets hope that for every 5 condom balloons that are made, one pregnancy is prevented.

Quoting nuclear_sugar:

I'd actually prefer they have to get them FROM someone- nurse, counselor, whatever. So that someone knows they are making these choices and can keep an eye on them. I do support them being available for free though.

Also, maybe it's the middle school teacher in me, but I can see them being wasted on tricks in class...kids getting them just to spit in them and put them on someone's chair, flick them at each other like rubber bands, etc
Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 3:18 PM
Our school nurse had condoms

Quoting nuclear_sugar:

I'd actually prefer they have to get them FROM someone- nurse, counselor, whatever. So that someone knows they are making these choices and can keep an eye on them. I do support them being available for free though.

Also, maybe it's the middle school teacher in me, but I can see them being wasted on tricks in class...kids getting them just to spit in them and put them on someone's chair, flick them at each other like rubber bands, etc

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
queenanne
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 3:20 PM
9 moms liked this

Quoting nuclear_sugar:

having to get them from someone will most likely keep a number of kids from accessing them.  An example of a boy or girl who would NOT ask a counselor/nurse/whatever for condoms would be those high-achieving, honors, always "good" students. Often times, kids like that will have unprotected sex before they ever let on that they're having sex. There's a lot of pressure put on these kids from parents, teachers, coaches, etc. They don't want to disappoint anyone.

LindaClement
by Linda on Dec. 27, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Good.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 5:13 PM
5 moms liked this

Yes, it seems like a good idea. Prevention is the best way to approach this issue. If kids "can't wait", then they had better be careful and not get pregnant.

It does make me kind of sad that some kids can't use a little self control and have enough self respect and values to wait until they are older, out of school and adult before they get sexually involved. It is too special to waste on some doofuss guy or flakey girl in 10th grade, know what I mean?

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 5:16 PM
2 moms liked this

With the rate of teen pregnancy in Philly...they need them along with education about sexual health

parents are failing at teaching their kids to protect themselves...with STD's and pregnancy

nuclear_sugar
by Jaye on Dec. 27, 2012 at 5:18 PM
I know; I was one of those kids. Most embarrassed kids will get someone else to procure them, though. I'd still rather have SOME kind of accountability, so that the rest of the students know they would have someone to turn to who already knows that they have sex. It opens a door.

And I think that if someone is too embarrassed to get a condom from a nurse or counselor, they likely shouldn't be having sex anyway.

I would think that having a for-pay dispenser would discourage at LEAST the same amount of students from getting condoms as would handing them out FREE from a nurse. What if you're horny and don't have any change?

Now, if both options were available in a school, I could handle that.

Quoting queenanne:

Quoting nuclear_sugar:

having to get them from someone will most likely keep a number of kids from accessing them.  An example of a boy or girl who would NOT ask a counselor/nurse/whatever for condoms would be those high-achieving, honors, always "good" students. Often times, kids like that will have unprotected sex before they ever let on that they're having sex. There's a lot of pressure put on these kids from parents, teachers, coaches, etc. They don't want to disappoint anyone.

pixie92
by Platinum Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this
yes a houndred times over yes. Every school needs a way kids can get condoms. Also im glad they arent making it a big issue where kids have to go talk to a nurse that may give a bad look or lecture that will keep them from getting the protection.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured