Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you support condom dispensers in your local high school?

Posted by   + Show Post

Condom Dispensers Could Be Coming to a High School Near You

Posted by Jeanne Sager on December 27, 2012

condomsReady for a twist in the old "should teenagers have access to birth control" debate? Some 22 high schools in Philadelphia will be welcoming students back in the new year with brand new condom dispensers. So is this a matter of schools overstepping their bounds and infringing on parents rights? Or is this just one way the schools fulfill their role in kids' lives?

After all, Philadelphia's deputy mayor of health was questioned about the condom dispensers, and he explained that schools are partners with parents in raising kids. Put it that way, and schools giving our kids condoms is really the responsible thing to do, right?

Let's just think about this for a minute.

It's ultimately a parent's responsibility to keep kids safe. That's why most parents who really think things through would side with preventing STDs over pretending their precious little snowflake will never ever ever have sex.

But parents have already ceded a significant amount of control over the welfare of our kids to the schools. We more or less have to, considering our kids typically spend more of their waking hours on a school campus than they do with us.

We already expect the schools to help us prepare our kids for the real world, expanding classes beyond mere reading, writing, and 'rithmetic to life skills' training in the likes of driving and often basic parenting skills. In many places, sex ed is even part of the curriculum (and rightly so).

So why not? Why shouldn't schools be as proactive as parents are or at least as parents should be? Why shouldn't they help us prepare kids for safe sex?

Would you support condom dispensers in your local high school?

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Replies (31-40):
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 7:21 PM
I think that's a fine idea!

Quoting nuclear_sugar:

I would even compromise to say that I'd be ok with the dispenser if the condoms came with an info pamphlet and the number of a nurse/ counselor, maybe with the dispenser in clear view of the counselor's door so she/ he can monitor for repeat visitors.

Quoting queenanne:

I like the idea of having both options available. Good thinking!

Probably none of them should be having sex anyway....but they do. The more options for safe, protected sex...the better.

Quoting nuclear_sugar:

I know; I was one of those kids. Most embarrassed kids will get someone else to procure them, though. I'd still rather have SOME kind of accountability, so that the rest of the students know they would have someone to turn to who already knows that they have sex. It opens a door.

And I think that if someone is too embarrassed to get a condom from a nurse or counselor, they likely shouldn't be having sex anyway.

I would think that having a for-pay dispenser would discourage at LEAST the same amount of students from getting condoms as would handing them out FREE from a nurse. What if you're horny and don't have any change?    hahahahaha

Now, if both options were available in a school, I could handle that.

Quoting queenanne:

Quoting nuclear_sugar:

I'd actually prefer they have to get them FROM someone- nurse, counselor, whatever. So that someone knows they are making these choices and can keep an eye on them. I do support them being available for free though.

Also, maybe it's the middle school teacher in me, but I can see them being wasted on tricks in class...kids getting them just to spit in them and put them on someone's chair, flick them at each other like rubber bands, etc

having to get them from someone will most likely keep a number of kids from accessing them.  An example of a boy or girl who would NOT ask a counselor/nurse/whatever for condoms would be those high-achieving, honors, always "good" students. Often times, kids like that will have unprotected sex before they ever let on that they're having sex. There's a lot of pressure put on these kids from parents, teachers, coaches, etc. They don't want to disappoint anyone.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 7:21 PM

My kids go to a private school where that would never be an option, what goes on in the public school system is no concern of mine.

nuclear_sugar
by Jaye on Dec. 27, 2012 at 7:50 PM
2 moms liked this
Lol. Better make sure Little Precious never stoops so low as to befriend a public school kid, then. All he/she would have to do is pass a dollar to a public school friend, and then suddenly this "public school issue" is a BIG concern for you.

Not that it matters. Condoms are still free at the health department.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

My kids go to a private school where that would never be an option, what goes on in the public school system is no concern of mine.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this

We raise our kids, from a very young age, to respect themselves and their bodies and to keep themselves free of the baggage that comes with relationships and sex as long as possible.  My son is nineteen and does not have sex.  He is focused on himself, his individual goals and enjoying his youth without baggage.  The school they attend has had one student get pregnant in it's sixty years of operation.  So clearly what we're doing is working. 

Quoting nuclear_sugar:

Lol. Better make sure Little Precious never stoops so low as to befriend a public school kid, then. All he/she would have to do is pass a dollar to a public school friend, and then suddenly this "public school issue" is a BIG concern for you.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

lga1965
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Yup, that's how we did it too. My kids went to public school in the 80's and they were too interested in getting good grades and playing tennis,etc. to go stedy with anyone.My son asked his Dad for  condoms when he was 18 and he was very responsible  He was "in love" and treated his girlfriend with respect. Then after they broke up, he didn't date again until he was a senior in college .He didn't "sleep around".   My two daughters waited until they were over 21. When my kids were very young,I answered all their questions and we discussed values and self respect, reproduction and birth control, among other things. I am proud of them and they are raising their kids the same way.

But, as far as condoms in school---its a good thing because other parents might not have cared enough to discuss sex,morals, reproduction, birth control, etc and their kids might be having sex way too young. We don't want pregnant teens,right?

Quoting Dzyre1115:.

We raise our kids, from a very young age, to respect themselves and their bodies and to keep themselves free of the baggage that comes with relationships and sex as long as possible.  My son is nineteen and does not have sex.  He is focused on himself, his individual goals and enjoying his youth without baggage.  The school they attend has had one student get pregnant in it's sixty years of operation.  So clearly what we're doing is working. 

Quoting nuclear_sugar:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

pixie92
by Platinum Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:10 PM
2 moms liked this
the problem is your way of thinking isnt everyones. A nurse that is all about abstinance and goes to church with billy bobs parents is going to lecture billy bob and go tell his parents cause they arent held to the standards regular nurses and doctors are. It should be discrete where kids dont need to worry about it. Also we have sex ed and health class that covers sex ed. We have all types of info in the nurses offices and counclers offices in school and yet we still have a ton of teen pregnancies. This is one of the smartest things i have heard to do to help the issue. Why would it need to be in front of the nurses office? why does the nurse need to monitor who is getting more? the only purpos would be to lecture or there is no purpos or reason. If kids are having sex they aint gonna just do it one and say ok no more til im married.

Quoting nuclear_sugar:

See, I support the idea of getting them from a nurse, but I didn't say anything about a lecture. What about a pamphlet on pregnancy and STDs? No lecture, just information as needed, and maybe the nurse or counselor's number or email address.

I look at condoms kind of like car keys. All teenagers want to drive... if you give them car keys, it doesn't mean they WILL drive, but there's a much higher possibility now that they have access to necessary components of driving. But would I send them on the road without instructing them first? Hell no. I'd make sure I knew they knew how to drive safely...I wouldn't just hand them my keys and say Bon voyage!

I just think kids need reminders...information is power and all that jazz.

Quoting pixie92:

yes a houndred times over yes. Every school needs a way kids can get condoms. Also im glad they arent making it a big issue where kids have to go talk to a nurse that may give a bad look or lecture that will keep them from getting the protection.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:11 PM

YES!!!!!

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:19 PM
3 moms liked this

LOL the kids in private school thing is a joke. We had kids come in from private schools so they could get a real diploma instead of a GED. They were more active than the public school kids ever thought about and their parents were completely in the dark. LOL at that argument. They are the best skilled liars and sneak the condoms from every where you could ever imagine. 

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Gotta argue with you here...condoms aren't a necessary component for having the sex.  If they are trying to get their hands on condoms, then they prolly already have good info.  A machine can serve the population of kids who want to do it the right way, but don't want anyone to know they're doin' it at all. 

Quoting nuclear_sugar:

See, I support the idea of getting them from a nurse, but I didn't say anything about a lecture. What about a pamphlet on pregnancy and STDs? No lecture, just information as needed, and maybe the nurse or counselor's number or email address.

I look at condoms kind of like car keys. All teenagers want to drive... if you give them car keys, it doesn't mean they WILL drive, but there's a much higher possibility now that they have access to necessary components of driving. But would I send them on the road without instructing them first? Hell no. I'd make sure I knew they knew how to drive safely...I wouldn't just hand them my keys and say Bon voyage!

I just think kids need reminders...information is power and all that jazz.

Quoting pixie92:

yes a houndred times over yes. Every school needs a way kids can get condoms. Also im glad they arent making it a big issue where kids have to go talk to a nurse that may give a bad look or lecture that will keep them from getting the protection.

lga1965
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:33 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting glitterteaz:

LOL the kids in private school thing is a joke. We had kids come in from private schools so they could get a real diploma instead of a GED. They were more active than the public school kids ever thought about and their parents were completely in the dark. LOL at that argument. They are the best skilled liars and sneak the condoms from every where you could ever imagine. 

It is how the kids are raised, not the school, that determines if kids will have sex (and get pregnant) or NOT have sex ...and live responsibly. Parents need to step up. Kids need to know that sex is much more meaningful and important than "just a roll in the hay".And they need self respect. Private school won't teach them that and public school won't either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)